Kisses and chocolate are a perfect pair. Sandwiched between delicate meringues, rich silky ganache is a contrast to the lightness of the kisses. Though this recipe is quite simple and has few ingredients, you'll want to get started the night before to allow for proper time for cooling of the meringues and ganache.
- 4 eggs whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring of your choice
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees F, line baking sheets with parchment paper, prepare a piping bag with a large round tip and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine eggs, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Place over a pot of simmering water and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Place mixer bowl on the mixer and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Add vanilla and desired color and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Put mixture in piping bag.
- Pipe 1-inch kisses, 1-inch apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 90 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven with the door cracked until the oven is completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 14 ounces (400g) good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 7 ounces (200ml) heavy cream
- Place chocolate in heatproof bowl.
- Bring cream to boiling point in a heavy saucepan.
- Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate, let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix with a hand whisk until the ganache is smooth.
- Allow to cool completely and then leave to set overnight.
- Fit piping bag with #12 round tip and fill with room temperature ganache.
- Pipe small amount on the bottom of one meringue kiss.
- Sandwich with another kiss.
- Serve same day.