Posted by gabesgourmet
Several people have asked for this recipe so here it is. This is the delicious frosting that I use for my bakery. It is fluffy and satiny. Nice vanilla flavor with little specs of vanilla bean. Colors well-takes a little more color to make vibrant colors than your "normal" buttercream. Decorates beautifully-DOES NOT CRUST THOUGH!! My clients LOVE it-give it a try, it's wonderful!
Gabe?s Satin Vanilla Frosting
- 6 cups of confectioners? sugar ½ tsp. salt 1½ tsp. vanilla ?crush? (this is vanilla with the vanilla bean in it?there are several different versions of this?I use Sonoma Syrup Co.?s version-makes a world of difference!!) 1 cup boiling water (¾ cup on hot days-or if you want stiffer icing) 2 ¾ cup shortening 1 ½ sticks slightly chilled butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer whisk together on low:
- Confectioners? sugar
- Vanilla ?crush?
- With a whisk attachment, add and whip at low speed:
- Boiling water
- Whip until smooth and cool (be patient-takes awhile)
- After cooling, add and whip until completely smooth (on low):
- Slightly chilled butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Increase the speed to medium-high. Whip until light, fluffy, and doubled in volume (10-20 minutes.)