This is a Jamaican cake. It attracted rave reviews at my church Valentine’s tea party. It has been a mainstay at prayer breakfasts too.
Boscobel Beach Ginger Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the grated ginger root and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3 Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar before serving.