Comes out very moist with a good ginger flavor that isn’t overpowering. Works well with any tropical fruit fillings or icings and with matcha (green tea) fillings or icings.
Mixer power level numbers are for the Kitchen Aid Artisan 7. Power levels may need to be adjusted for your mixer.
Ginger Cake (Using Box Mix)
- 1 box Duncan Hines white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 8 oz real regular (not low fat or fat free) sour cream
- 1 tsp ground powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 heaping tbsp finely chopped candied ginger
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks
- Add in oil, ginger ale, sour cream, powdered ginger and cake mix
- Mix on 1 and then 3 to combine
- Mix on 5 and then 7 until all lumps gone and fully blended
- Add in fresh and candied ginger
- Mix on 5 to blend and then 7 until fully incorporated
- Bake at 350 approx 30 min. Baking time will need to be adjusted based on the size pan used.