If you love a shortbread cookie mixed with cheesecake, this is the cookie for you! This is a Martha Stewart recipe. The only thing that I did differently is that I used a different type of flour because I wanted a more cake like texture, but all-purpose flour may be used. I also did “double-pan” my cookies and there are pics in my photos. It seems like a lot of work, but they are like heaven in your mouth!! Your taste buds will dance!!
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt, plus a pinch
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I used 1 cup bread flour and 1 cup cake flour)
- In a bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese on medium until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt, and beat until smooth (about 3 minutes) Add 1 egg yolk, sour cream, and vanilla; beat until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 large baking sheets, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer w/ the paddle attachment beat the butter and remaining 1/4 cup sugar on medium speed until combined. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and egg yolk; beat to combine. With mixer on low, gradually add the flour (sifted) mixing until just combined.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls, and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Using lightly floured end of a wooden spoon handle or your clean thumb, make an indentation in the center of each ball.
- Bake 10 min, remove from oven and make indentations again (use spoon this time…very hot!) . Rotate sheets, return to oven and bake until edges begin to turn golden(about 7-9 min) Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a small teaspoon, fill the center of each cookie with about 1 teaspoon cream cheese filling. Return cookies to oven once again and bake until filling is firm (about 7-8 min) When done, cool completly. Refrigerate in an airtight container, layered between wax or parchment paper at least 4 hours before serving.
It doesn’t say…that means it’s not meant for anyone on a diet!! LOL!
Just made these this weekend and I must say they are yummy!
The only thing I did differently was I drizzled melted chocolate on top...mmmm!
Will be making these again!