I made this for my dau7ghter-in-law’s birthday and everyone loved it! Must have checkerboard pan set. will post pictures in the gallery under the same name.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Checkerboard Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 box cherry cake mix
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 envelopes of butterfinger flavor hot chocolate mix
- 1tsp vannilla
- 2 tbs meringue powder
- 2 sticks of real butter
- 6 cups of powder sugar
- 4 tbs coacoa
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 c. chopped nuts (i used walnuts)
- Step 1: prepare cherry mix as recomened on package with the exception of adding 3 tbs of the sauce frome the pie filling. not the charries just the sauce. set aside.
- Step 2: prepare chocolate cake mix as recommended on package except add 2 envelopes of the butterfinger flavor hot chocolate mix.
- Step 3: very lightly flour your checker board cake pan set and load with the cake mixes as the instructions state on the set. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 min.
- step 4: Stack cakes and let cool. I did not ice between cakes. Stacked hot to fuse them then cooled in freezer for 2 hrs.
- Step 5:icing:cream butter,vannilla,2 tbs milk,sugar:
- warm remaining milk (15 seconds in microwave) and mix coacoa.. slowly mix into the icing mix and beat till smooth
- Step 6: ice the sides (not top) of cake and apply nuts
- with a large star tip i roped the bottom and top edges making a well for the cherries. then i spooned the cherries into the well.. refridgerated to set and served.