This is a recipe I got off my mum, it came in a pamphlet with Royal baking powder in Uruguay. I have been using it for more than 30 years. It is very versatile and can be easily changed to an orange, lemon, or chocolate cake.
This is the basic recipe from the book, I dont use the baking powder and instead use self raising flour.
Also the recipe says it’s for a 20cm tin (8 inch), but it doesnt come out very high, so i use this amount for a 3 inch high, 6 inch square tin.
- 100gms of butter (at room temperature)
- 200gms of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 240gms of plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla (or lemon extract whichever you prefer)
- 2/3 cup of milk
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Prepare a 20cm tin by greasing flouring or covering in parchment paper Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and then add flour alternating with milk.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.