This is a great icing for frosting and decorating. It tastes great too with all the added flavorings. It started with my Grandma and each of us has tweeked it just a little to our own taste.
- 1 3/4 c. crisco shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. clear vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. almond
- 2 tsp. clear orange flavoring
- 1 tsp. clear lemon flavoring
- 2 lbs. confectioners sugar – sifted
- 1/4 c. milk
- Cream shortening with electric mixer until very creamy. Add all flavorings. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scarpe down sides of mixer bowl often. (When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.) Add milk all at once and beat at high speed till light and fluffy. Keep covered with damp cloth until ready to use and refrigerate when not in use. Keeps for up to 2 weeks in airtight container. Rewhip before using.
- Freezes well also.