Enjoy this maple-flavored cake crowned with a cream cheese frosting sprinkled with chopped nuts.
Vermont Spice Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple flavored extract
- chopped nuts and nut halves (optional)
1 PREHEAT oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-round cake pans.
2 COMBINE flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared cake pans.
3 BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
4 BEAT cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add maple flavoring; mix well.
5 CUT each cake in half horizontally with long, serrated knife. Frost between layers and on top of cake, leaving sides unfrosted. Garnish with nuts, if desired.
6 NOTE: To make a 2-layer cake, frost between layers, over top and on sides of cake.