Contest Rules : A Hot Topic

Decorating By Jackie Updated 28 Oct 2005 , 9:54pm by tcturtleshell

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 12:03am
post #1 of 11

Lately there has been a lot of disscussion regarding the contest rules.
I am making this post to address those questions, or topics that have been brought up.

1. Similar Cakes
I will not be instating any kind of rule or policy that every cake must be 100% original and completely unsimilar to all the other cakes in the contest at this time.
We have over 15,000 members from varying level of skill entering the contests, and when there is a Halloween contest, you are going to see a lot of spiders, haunted houses, skeletons, ghosts etc. I do not believe any one is "copying" or stealing at all.
It is also extremly unfair to assume that if 2 people have similar cakes, that one must have "stolen" or "copied" from the other. If someone has a legitimate concern that a cake in the contest is breaking copyright law, or you feel that there is some kind of problem with one or more of the entries, please send a PM to me or Heath, and we will look into it.

Everyone is allowed to enter their cakes at any time they wish within the specified time frame. You may choose to enter your cake at the last minute, or at the begining. The choice is completely yours.

2. Hiding Entries until voting begins
I will not be instating any kind of rule where all the cakes are hidden from public view until voting begins at this time.
Far too many people (including myself) derive too much enjoyment from the photos that are uploaded for me to keep them hidden away for weeks.
We may have 150 contest entries. But at least 14,000 or more people are enjoying viewing your work.
I kept the prizes small, such as a book, for monetary reasons, but also to keep the contests as open, often, and fun as possible
[emphasis on the fun part] icon_biggrin.gif

3. Contest Voting Guidelines
We will not be creating any kind of "judging" system for the contests. Where appointed judges will vote on the cakes based on specific guidelines. The voting is set up in a way to be as flexable and as open as possible. You can vote for 1 cake, or vote for all the cakes, and give them all different amounts of points, based on your own personal scale, or system. Because everyone's skill level, and personal tastes vary so widely, this creates a really fair and fun way for everyone to participate in the contests, even if they havent submitted a cake.

If we ever have a contest where there is a huge prize involved, then yes, we would adhere to much stricter guidelines on voting and contest entries. But that is not going to happen anytime soon, so don't hold your breath icon_smile.gif

10 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 12:15am
post #2 of 11

Jackie this is an obvious question but since we have added the Pulled and Blown sugar forum are cakes with this medium allowed? I plan to enter the Halloween Contest myself. But 2 maybe three of my items will be pulled, poured or cast sugar pieces does the cake qualify?

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 12:21am
post #3 of 11

I am glad you asked that.....

As long as the sugar peice is part of your is cake.
For example, if you have put together a blown/pulled sugar topper , make sure you take a photo of it actually sitting on top of the cake.

In the future we may do more specific types of contest, such as "gumpaste flowers", where a "cake" wouldn't really be necessary.

However for the current contest, yes, a cake is necessary icon_smile.gif

I have had a few people ask me the same question about cookies, and I will give them the same answer.... Yes, As long as the cookies are on the cake

SugarCreations Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:05am
post #4 of 11

Thanks Jackie. The pieces have been planned to be part of the cake.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:19am
post #5 of 11

Jackie... thanks for posting! It all sounds fair to me. I love the way you run the site and I'm glad you decided not to hide the photos. I love looking through all of them. I appreciate this site and all you do for it!

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:41am
post #6 of 11

Jackie,
I'd love to know where you learned to have such awesome people skills! You really do an awesome job of maintaining excellent standards in all areas of CC. What a visionary you are! Thanks for being you!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 2:12am
post #7 of 11

Fabulous! I am so glad you made the pulled sugar and blown sugar a part of this site because my husband is really interested in it as well as I am soooooo, you have quite possibly added another male to the family we have here! WOOO HOOO!!!

Amy

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 11

Jackie, I commend you for a job well done! Thanks!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 11

Jackie,

I think you made a wise and wonderful decision and handled the situation very well! Personally, I am glad that you didn't change any of the "rules."

I would also like to apologize to you, and everyone else, for any negative energy that I may have contributed in the duplicate entry discussion. My intention with my post was to commiserate with the feeling of dissapointment when a cake that you think is unique is not as unique as you thought it was. It was NOT to point fingers, hurt anyone's feelings, or accuse anyone. I am SO sorry that my comment implied anything different.

I truly enjoy this site and feel blessed to have found it - and all of the wonderful advice, ideas, help, and friendship that this community contributes.

SugarCreations Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 11

Cakemommy tell the hubby to join in. He want to do sugar work I will pm him a recipe if he wants it. Give all the help I can so will all the other talented people on this site. Its not all that bad being a man here everyone treats you the same with respect and diginity its a great site we all love it Jackie!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 11

Jackie I'm glad you didn't change anything too. I just hope everyone remembers that YOU JACKIE are the boss & that the contests will be done YOUR way~ I think everyone needs to stop all the negative posts & concentrate on good posts & get back to helping each other. You might need to remind some folks from time to time that this is YOUR site~ icon_smile.gif I'm speaking of myself along w/ everyone else~

Ya'll have a great weekend~~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%