Freezing Cakes...just A Thought

Decorating By cakes-r-us Updated 17 Mar 2005 , 9:04am by flayvurdfun

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 1:47am
post #1 of 12

Many decorators ask how long a cake can be frozen, my answer would be at least a year. You figure if a bride freezes the top cake and have it for their 1st anniversary, that's a year. I have checked on couples after the first year anniversary to see how the cake was and they said it was still just as delicious. Any other thoughts?

11 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 1:58am
post #2 of 12

As long as they are wrapped right they should be just fine for one year...

But if they are filled you should not freeze them...

ONLY if they are buttercream cakes. I would not freeze a fondant cake either.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 12

ugh, i don't know about a year. icon_cool.gif my wedding cake was all buttercream and it was nasty when i tasted after a year...and it was wrapped pretty good too!

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 12

My wedding cake wasn't good after a year either. It was wrapped up very good too. It had a weird taste too it. icon_confused.gif I have not tried to keep one that long since then.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 12

Reminds me of our wedding cake...we left for our honeymoon that night and a friend put all our gifts (and cake, by mistake!) in the garage. When we got home from the honeymoon..........the cake was pretty much gone! Mice got to it and had their own little party while we were away!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 12

our cake was still great..... but this is an interesting question... I have to make 20 individual egg shaped cakes for my 7 yr old "spring fling party" at school next week... and since they have to be done by the Thursday night before so we can take them to the school I was wondering if I made them this week would it hurt the taste next week... I will make vanilla, choc, yellow so I will be making lots of cakes next week..... in fact any ideas on simple designs I can do for them.... I want them to be different.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 12

We froze our wedding cake as well. It was delicious going in, but not coming out icon_confused.gif . So I just ordered another one icon_biggrin.gif . I don't recommed that any of my customers freeze a cake (longer than 2 months). I'm just not sure how it will taste a year from now. I guess that I need to freeze on and see.

I read somewhere that the freezing was recommended years ago when most cakes were fruit cakes. Those freeze better I hear. I'll have to find where I read that.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 12

Flayvurdfun wrote:

our cake was still great..... but this is an interesting question... I have to make 20 individual egg shaped cakes for my 7 yr old "spring fling party" at school next week... and since they have to be done by the Thursday night before so we can take them to the school I was wondering if I made them this week would it hurt the taste next week... I will make vanilla, choc, yellow so I will be making lots of cakes next week..... in fact any ideas on simple designs I can do for them.... I want them to be different.

As far as freezing them...they will be fine! You can just put them in ziploc bags (my hubby calls me the queen of Ziplocs!) and squeeze out the air! For decorating..you could cover them in MM fondant and add simple MM fondant decorations (stripes, dots etc!)

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 12

Heck, we didn't wait a year to eat ours!!! We got a sweet tooth & pulled it out & ate it!! icon_lol.gif

I have frozen cakes up to a month ahead & tasted great! I figure you can freeze them up to 6 mths if they are wrapped good. I don't worry about them. I just worry about them tasting like other things in the freezer like fish or shrimp etc. My son is a big fisherman & he is always putting stuff in the freezer. If I have cakes in the freezer I have to stop him at the door & shout NO take it to the neighbors !!! icon_cry.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 12

you're lucky that you got to eat yours!...if you would have waited a bit longer...well, who knows what it would have tasted like. icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 12

I froze my fondant covered tier and it tasted just fine...Same as it did the wedding day...well actually better. The fondant was also soft, as it should when you cut it.

I put mine in a plastic container, lid side down, then wrapped with saran wrap, then aluminum foil, and put in solitary confinement for a whole year. Took out two days in advance to thaw in the lower fridge, and then out a few hours before cutting. We had a small family dinner to celebrate!
Yummy!!!
I figure the trick is to cover well to avoid freezer burn and odor absorbtion. icon_biggrin.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 9:04am
post #12 of 12

i started thinking.... uh ohh icon_surprised.gif trouble brewing, I have a very small freezer and cant fit much of anything in it, and I just did grocery shopping.. so it looks like I have to make three kinds of cake flavors for the little egg-cakes I am making for a school party.... I wonder how much batter I will have left over.... I guess I will make other cupcakes or something for my older sons class... or maybe one of the kindergarten classes.....hmmm maybe give some to some teachers.. I guess i wont know until I make the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%