Showthis To Cheap Brides

Decorating By JanH Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 5:52pm by IndyTiff

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:42am
post #121 of 167

Think she'd do my wedding cake? It's EASY!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:37am
post #122 of 167

cakedecor, Gee I have a cake pic in my book just like yours!! I wonder why??
That class was soo boring!

Melvira and knox, thanks alot you nearly made me wet my pants laughing, with your doggy woggy baby talk. My parting comment about the website in question is that hopefully the pic at the end of that tutorial will put a scare into any bride considering making her first reallly big cake her own wedding cake. I have a cake here all torted and ready to put together, ice and decorate. Maybe I'll just let my 7 year old granddaughter do it for my on Sunday. It won't look any worse than the one we've been discussing. (I'll show her the Viva method.) Ü

eagerlearner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eagerlearner Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:28am
post #123 of 167

You guys are sooooooo funny!! icon_lol.gif But come on, it didn't look THAT bad. though the flowers were just funny, and what's with the monogramme? I like the whole, make the wedding cake 2 DAYS before the wedding commnt. I mean, from what I learned here at CC, Aren't beginners supposed to leave at least a week?(Not that I'm thinking of attempting a wedding cake anytime soon.... Give me a couple of years.) icon_biggrin.gif But honestly, I'd love to see a stressed out bride try to figure out how to torte a cake, let alone stack it.

You know, we should make a video. Anyone who has a huffy bride trying to make her own cake should go over and record the whole thing. Now that's something that'll cheer any cake decorator up!!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:24pm
post #124 of 167

Here's how I think of it.....Imagine you are a bride who has never decorated a cake and you come across this article. You read it and then look at the final cake....is that what you want your wedding cake to look like? If no, then you will probably go to a bakery and shop around. If that cake is fine with you , then you will probably price the pans, supplies, etc and then do a practice run. I seriously doubt brides everywhere are reading this going...yipee i can make my own cake.
Now, if the author would have put a beautiful, perfectly made wedding cake for the final product, then i would say that it is misleading. But she put what a cake would look like realistically if you were a beginner and did it yourself.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #125 of 167

I think they are trying to scare the bride into making it themselves. Notice they said $8 per serving?? icon_confused.gif Not where I live. BUT THAT DOES GIVE ME AND IDEA icon_twisted.gif show them that picture and then tell them this is waht you get for $8/serv and if they pay me$8.01/serv they can have one that looks like mine?!?! icon_biggrin.gif
Oh wait, that would be lying. ok ok $1.60 per serving and I'll make it!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm
post #126 of 167

eagerlearner wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

But come on, it didn't look THAT bad. though the flowers were just funny, and what's with the monogramme?

I looked at the picture again. It has weird thin spots on the frosting (looks like some crumbs also on the second and third tiers) and the top tier leans a bit to the right. The flowers don't have a rhyme or reason for type, style or placement. Hmmmmm, I still think it is "rustic" enough to be on the Worst Cake Post. Obviously, the author is just that, an Author. Not someone with design, artistic or pastry skills/training/experience. "Jeez, even Bobby Flay on Throwdown knew he was out of his element when challenged with a wedding cake."

And I agree with eagerlearner, icon_eek.gif "What's with the monogram?" icon_eek.gif I pity the poor, poor bride that believes in this article..........

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:29pm
post #127 of 167

actually, her final "smoothing" isnt bad for a crumb coat.... icon_redface.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:34pm
post #128 of 167

Tirby, LOL I was just getting ready to say "Good luck with THAT tactic!" LOL If I was throwing together a cake, and I DO mean throwing, when I was first starting out, I'd have come up with something better than the one in that picture. It doesn't take that much extra effort to smoothe icing, sorry. Maybe that lady thought that by leaving the icing with that "fluffy" look it was less effort and would look ok. NOT If we could see into her photo album we might just see a few more similar works, ya think?

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:45pm
post #129 of 167

How'd she get that job? They should have a cake person to write about cakes, not the event planner, she has very little cake decorating experience (by very little, I mean none) according to her bio

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm
post #130 of 167

Maybe about.com needs to be directed to this thread.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:57pm
post #131 of 167

I was just reading the beginning of her article and the author says that making a wedding cake is "really not that hard." As many of us know, yes it is hard, takes many hours, effort and patience.

I was watching some time ago an episode on Martha Stewart Weddings and her planner lady was saying that a bride should not consider making her own cake because the task could be "daunting" for someone that doesn't have experience making them.

So, the statement of "really not that hard" is "really" incorrect. I wonder if the author got any feedback from readers who make cakes and what they said to her.

I haven't finished reading her whole step by step but didn't looked at the pics of the entire cake.

Another options she could have given to keep low cost, is perhaps have a supermarket make the tier cakes separately, filled and iced and then picked up by bride and then assembled at receiption are and add flowers and decor there.

I've heard of people who have done this and it is much less expensive.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 3:03pm
post #132 of 167

I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread but I did go through the entire "DIY wedding cake" instructions and all I can say is I'm glad her final cake looks the way it does. It is somewhat representative (or probably a little better) of what a DIY cake WILL look like for someone unexperienced. At least she didn't have a perfectly smoothed and well decorated cake pictured, giving brides a very false hope for their DIY cakes. icon_smile.gif

I've had lots of brides take my classes with the goal of doing their own wedding cake but not one of them ever ended up doing it themselves once they realized just how hard it is. Her article is definitely deceptive on how much time is involved in such an endeavor. 1 hour baking time?? LOL

cakesbykellie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 3:19pm
post #133 of 167

actually, her final "smoothing" isnt bad for a crumb coat.... icon_redface.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:43pm
post #134 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Maybe about.com needs to be directed to this thread.

I did that already.........

Diane

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #135 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

I'm sure that tutorial will run us out of business. icon_rolleyes.gif

no i dont think so at alll......i would pay the money for a better looking cake than make that. i wonder if they couldnt have made it look a little nicer.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:55pm
post #136 of 167

I'm going to submit an article to about.com about DIY surgery. The first sentence is going to be "why spend thousands on a surgeon when you can do it yourself?" Here's 8 easy steps.

cakesbykellie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:04pm
post #137 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I'm going to submit an article to about.com about DIY surgery. The first sentence is going to be "why spend thousands on a surgeon when you can do it yourself?" Here's 8 easy steps.

LMAO icon_lol.gif

step 1: clean and sharpen a steak knife the best you can... white vinegar and water does a great job of cleaning knives. also, make sure you have ample supply of paper towels in case of a slight mess..... it could be a rustic look you are looking for but you may want to to spend more than 5 minutes on clean-up.

Step 2: stitching supplies.... while this varies for some, my new favorite tool for this is the Bedazzler! why have such cliche "stitches"! make it pretty with the bedazzler! This process should taKE YOU LESS THAN 5 MINS TO COMPLETE.
(i could go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

while i am NOT a urgeon by trade, i have wtinessed people go to the Doctor's office and the ER. I have put together all of my knowledge for this step by step tutorial!
I have a degree in acct. and Motherhood... and i love to decorate cake!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:09pm
post #138 of 167

jsmith and cakesbykellie,

ROFLMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ever time I check on this thread it just keeps on getting better and better.....

And I loved the baby talk for the handsome old pooch, too tapedshut.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:31pm
post #139 of 167

Okay the funny stuff has to stop...seriously...I have asthma, and if I start laughing too hard I will have an asthma attack! I'm not joking...that comment about the DIY surgery had me grabbing for my inhaler b/c it made me laugh!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:35pm
post #140 of 167

And in other news, a local Floridian is found dead clutching an empty inhaler. Her husband, dumbfounded by this tragedy, was quoted as telling police that he found her writhing on the floor in front of her computer, her last words being, "steak knife...*cough* vinegar... *gasp, cough* BEDAZZLER!!" Back to you Jim!

tiptop57 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:40pm
post #141 of 167

Someone has been sniffing Powder Sugar again. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakesbykellie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:45pm
post #142 of 167

psst... i have asthma too.... so get your inhaler! or maybe a nebulizer.. because here is step THREE!

step 3. when performing the surgery of your choice (i have decided to staple my stomach shut with the Bedazzler!) make sure you use a ruler to measure the size of your first incision.... do a "rough cut" first... you can always go back and do a smooth finish after... if you make any mistakes, these can simply be covered with unsprayed flowers from your local florist! OR, retreat back to your Bedazzler....

picture tutorial to follow.....

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:45pm
post #143 of 167

LOL!! I was hoping someone from about.com would read this forum - but now they may think we're all nuts (well that is if they read all the way to page 9 or so....) icon_smile.gif You all are too funny!!!!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:50pm
post #144 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

And in other news, a local Floridian is found dead clutching an empty inhaler. Her husband, dumbfounded by this tragedy, was quoted as telling police that he found her writhing on the floor in front of her computer, her last words being, "steak knife...*cough* vinegar... *gasp, cough* BEDAZZLER!!" Back to you Jim!

OK is there a do it yourself funeral guide anywere?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:59pm
post #145 of 167

I knew I made the right choice coming back to this thread! You all are nuts....

of course if you are going to perform surgery on yourself make sure you have mirrors on the ceiling and all the walls for a better view of the injury site. Don't forget to invite the neighbors to see how easy it is to slice and sew yourself. They can also document what your bedazzled mouth is trying to say as you black out......we all have to be accurate and good journalists you know!

cakesbykellie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:59pm
post #146 of 167

maybe Nina has something for funerals? she IS an Event Planner, you know.

ok... i need to stop.... i'm laughing myself right off my chair and no one in my house thinks this is remotely funny.....

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm
post #147 of 167

Okay, I promised myself I wouldn't come back and read this icon_mad.gif but couldn't resist... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone up to contacting NINA regarding funeral planning...

tiptop57 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 9:28pm
post #148 of 167

Here issssssss your DIY book! Not kidding this is off the internet.

Do-it-yourself funerals
Practical and tested guidelines for arranging private funerals are provided in Munro, L. (2001) The Do-It-Yourself Funeral Book, available from http://bereavement.bnc.org.au/bookstore.htm. The book includes guidelines for coffins and preparing and storing bodies.

adoraim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adoraim Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:43pm
post #149 of 167

Ok I am making a 3 tier cake for a b-day party this weekend and I really hope that my cake does not look like that.
I am a newbie to decorating and have been practicing with a few cakes but the cake on that site would make me run as fast as I could from making a cake for my wedding.

I am planning on making a cake for my grandparents anniversary in the summer so I am learning all I can to be ready for the final project.

I really hope people don't try that at home.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:17am
post #150 of 167

Melvira: You're so crazy! CakesbyKelli: Ohh...y'all have me laughing!!

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%