Non-Crusting Buttercream Help...

Decorating By Keliames Updated 17 Oct 2005 , 8:05pm by okieinalaska

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 15 Oct 2005 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 25

Ok I know the anwser is on this website somewhere, but I must be blind. What is better about the non-crusting buttercream, and what is the difference? Is it just made with butter, or can you make non-crusting frosting with crisco? Thanks, Keli

24 replies
pursegal26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursegal26 Posted 15 Oct 2005 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 25

The difference is taste. Like I said before Crisco frostings are really just meant for practice because they do not taste good at all, and should not be served to people. (RLB says this in her book, that it is just for practice.)

It is harder to work with though. IMB would be a non-crusting. An all butter/powdered sugar recipe will not crust like a shortening recipe either, but it will taste 100% better.

Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 12:54am
post #3 of 25

Keli,
I believe the crisco in a recipe is what makes it crusts, also meringue powder can help as well. I don't particularly agree with pursegal's opinion that crisco BC is for practice. I think it's a matter of taste. Also depending on what part of the country you live in, crisco icing is a must. I'm in Texas and cannot imagine using anything else in the summer months. Butter doesn't hold up well in 110 degree heat and 90% humidity!
I don't know that there is anything "better" about BC being crusting or non-crusting except for the ease in smoothing. With a crusting you can use the Viva papertowel method, etc. Also like I said, I think it's a sheer matter of preference of taste!

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 1:11am
post #4 of 25

I think that a mixture of butter and crisco is the best tasting icing. Also it is the meringue powder that allows that cake to crust over which I think you need in order to do the smoothing method on a cake. I smooth the icing with parchment paper instead of the paper towel method. I don't agree that using only butter is better because butter melts easier.

Keliames Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 2:24am
post #5 of 25

Thank you all for your help. I use an all crisco recipe and have not had any complaints...yet. I will agree that the butter tastes better, but I can not seem to get it to hold up. I am always having to put it in the fridge to harden up, and it becomes more of a hassel than what I think it worth it. I would like to find a good mixed recipe that holds up well so if anyone has one, please share. Thanks again. Keli

mamafrogcakes Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:16am
post #6 of 25

Keli,
I'm with you about a butter mixture...never holds us quite right. Wish we could find a good substitute!

mamafrogcakes Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:22am
post #7 of 25

Oh and pursegal, who's RLB??

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:32am
post #8 of 25

mamafrogcakes.. I believe she is referring to Rose Levy Berenbaum, the author of the book "The Cake Bible"

Artisticweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artisticweddings Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:33am
post #9 of 25

I use butter flavoring, real vanilla and high emulsion shortening. You can also put in one or 1/2 stick of butter with 1 cup shortening to 2 lbs powdered sugar. Country Kitchen SweetArts carries the shortening. Alpine shortening is also good. They don't taste like crisco at all and are smoother.
Margi Chambers

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:40am
post #10 of 25

I agree w/ mammafrogcakes. Couldn't have icing w/out crisco in it. It makes beautiful flowers & borders. Also great for smoothing.

You do not need meringue powder (MP) to have a crusting icing. MP makes it crust more. Nothing bad about Wilton but they add that to their recipe to sell it. MP isn't necessary. When I first started doing cakes (1 year ago) I used MP like it was going out of style. It is so expensive! I didn't use it in one batch of icing & it was fine w/out it! I haven't used MP since~ You should try icing w/out it.

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 25

Actually I think the crusting and non-crusting factor is all about the fat (crisco/butter) to powdered sugar ratio. The more fat the less it crust. I use a non-crusting icing that calls for 2.5c. total of crisco/butter to only 1lbs of powdered sugar. It also calls for 1/4c meringue powder.

Personally I think its all about what taste good to you. I started out using the Wiltons BC recipes and have now moved on to the non-crusting. Its like a night and day difference to me. Wilton recipe was very heavy , thick, and super sweet to me So I switched recipes and found one that I love.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 25

I like the recipe Lisa posted in the recipe section ButterCream(with real butter for decorators).....it is so good, and it crusts very well.....you should give this recipe a try!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebug

Actually I think the crusting and non-crusting factor is all about the fat (crisco/butter) to powdered sugar ratio. The more fat the less it crust. .

I agree with Katiebug! And I use some butter in my recipe (more crisco than butter though).

It's more about what you like and what your customers like. icon_smile.gif

Artisticweddings Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 10:42pm
post #14 of 25

There's something we haven't even brought up in this discussion. The decor of the cake you are doing designates the type of frosting. You can put a non crusting recipie (which had more butterfat in it) on a nice cake that you are going to sell or serve as a dessert. But for a showy type cake like a wedding or anniversary, you would want the icing to crust for the type of piping and embellishing you would do to it. Also, you could do non-crusting on a cake that is separated and has maybe a center pillar to it with flowers on top, but if you were going to use gumpaste or fondant flowers, bows or cutouts, you would have to have a rolled covering or a crusted, smoothed buttercream to hold the design. Also, if you are piping rosettes, you want them to be crusted or they will lose shape.
Artisticweddings icon_smile.gif
LL

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 25

Well, I have seen icing made for professional cake decorators and they use Crisco in their recipes... sometimes 100% Crisco. It is good because of its stability for decorations.

I use 100% Crisco icing all the time and make the flavor better with added extracts like almond and vanilla.

I don't like the butter and Crisco (unless it is for family gatherings) because it is not as stable in heat and it is softer than the one made with Crisco.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliames

Thank you all for your help. I use an all crisco recipe and have not had any complaints...yet. I will agree that the butter tastes better, but I can not seem to get it to hold up. I am always having to put it in the fridge to harden up, and it becomes more of a hassel than what I think it worth it. I would like to find a good mixed recipe that holds up well so if anyone has one, please share. Thanks again. Keli

Keli: also, one that is very good and the icing still holds and crusts well is adding whipping cream to the Crisco recipe. You omit the meringue powder on this recipe.

Here it is. It is from the Wilton site. It is very tasty and creamy.

Recipe Box
Extra Special Buttercream Icing

This icing is similar to the flavor and has a medium consistency like bakery icing. It is ideal for frosting and borders.

2 cups solid vegetable shortening*
2 lbs. confectioners' sugar (There are 4 cups to a pound)
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. clear vanilla or your favorite flavoring
6-8 oz. whipping cream
Cream shortening until fluffy. Add sugar and continue creaming until well-blended.
Add salt, flavoring and whipping cream; blend on low speed until moistened.
Beat at high speed until icing is fluffy.

Extra-Special Buttercream icing needs to be refrigerated, both after it is made and when it is placed on a cake. It will keep 3-5 days in the refrigerator.

*You may substitute 1 cup butter or margarine plus 1 cup solid vegetable shortening to achieve a more buttery taste.

Yield: 7 1/2 cups.

katiebug Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 11:42pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

There's something we haven't even brought up in this discussion. The decor of the cake you are doing designates the type of frosting. You can put a non crusting recipie (which had more butterfat in it) on a nice cake that you are going to sell or serve as a dessert. But for a showy type cake like a wedding or anniversary, you would want the icing to crust for the type of piping and embellishing you would do to it. Also, you could do non-crusting on a cake that is separated and has maybe a center pillar to it with flowers on top, but if you were going to use gumpaste or fondant flowers, bows or cutouts, you would have to have a rolled covering or a crusted, smoothed buttercream to hold the design. Also, if you are piping rosettes, you want them to be crusted or they will lose shape.

I have to disagree with you. All I use is a non-crusting BC for ALL my cakes. Check out my baby shower cake , it has gumpaste flowers, bows, and the sides where even basketweaved , and it held up fine (I even drove it over 2 hrs stacked to deliver it !) It all depends on the recipe you use and how comfortable you are working with it.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:47am
post #18 of 25

katiebug, I have to know wht recipe your using. I have been searching for a icing that is creamy and smooth and not sweet AT ALL. I know sounds strange but most people I know don't like the sweet frosting, they want a smooth taste in their mouth. I keep trying and just can't get it.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:14pm
post #19 of 25

Do you add heavy cream to your frosting? It really helps with texture and to reduce the sweetness. Also, cut back on the amount of vanilla. It took me awhile to realize that the vanilla was making the pwd sugar frosting even more sweet.

hth

katiebug Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:17pm
post #20 of 25

You reallllly want to know my "secret" recipe ? icon_lol.gif

shhh.gif It's the Creamy Soft Icing recipe on the back of the CK meringue powder container. icon_wink.gif

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:35pm
post #21 of 25

It also makes a difference where you live. In the Texas summers, it is almost impossible to do anything with an all butter buttercream. If it's in the middle of winter and 20 degrees, then, it might happen in Texas. That's just my experience. I too love the all butter buttercream but unfortunately, weather makes a difference.

Artisticweddings Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 2:00pm
post #22 of 25

You can cut some of the sweetness by using some popcorn salt.

Artisticweddings Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 2:06pm
post #23 of 25

Would you please post that recipe, because I'd like to try it and come to my
own conclusions. I am always willing to try new ideas.
Margi icon_biggrin.gif

Keliames Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 2:09pm
post #24 of 25

Please post your recipe, I am interested too. THank for all of your help on this topic. Keli

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:05pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdixoncakes

It also makes a difference where you live. In the Texas summers, it is almost impossible to do anything with an all butter buttercream. .

Ha, ha! It helps to live in Alaska, icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%