Boxed Cake Mix Shrinkflation Again!

Baking By JPepper Updated 15 Sep 2023 , 1:31pm by kakeladi

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 4 Sep 2023 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 5

I just  noticed today that the two Betty Crocker cake mixes I bought yesterday have been reduced down from 432g to 375g!!!......not sure what that is in ounces. This is so frustrating when using an extender recipe as now I don't know if it'll even work, will my cakes taste the same, have the same texture? etc. I'm now at a crossroads.......do I try to figure out how to make the new box size work with an extender recipe or try to find a fully from scratch recipe?

What are others doing that are affected by the constant changes these companies are making? My knee jerk reaction is that since they don't care that so many of us bakers use their mixes quite often and that it has a great effect on us I should try to find a fully from scratch recipe but I don't want to be hasty because I have regular customers that love the texture and flavour of my cakes and cupcakes and I don't want to mess with that.

Would love to hear what others think and how you are navigating this.

4 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 6 Sep 2023 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 5

Goodness....! I'm tired and sick of this! every time we finally figure out a way to make our beloved WASC or whatever doctored cake we used to love.... they do it again, change quality, quantity... and here we go... back to square one over and over again!

So far my dear, I've been surviving out of Walmart cake mixes (great value I mean). I use my traditional WASC cake recipe and supply the missing portion of the original recipe with a 1/3 of a cup of dry cake mix. It has been working like a charm so far. But sure, one of these days Walmart as well will join the club of the never-ending disaster cake mix!

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 6 Sep 2023 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, frustrating for sure! I would rather them have increased the price than reduce the size as this screws so many people up!  I will check my local Walmart and see if they have changed their size yet. Even if they haven't, I'm sure that's just a matter of time. When I used to do more baking, I would buy cake mix in a large bag from my local wholesale store and just measure out the quantity I needed but I've had to cut back on baking due to my busy schedule (actually my son's busy schedule....LOL) so I probably wouldn't go through an entire bag before it expired.

*sigh* Back to the drawing board, I guess. Unless someone else chimes in with a solution :)

Quote by @ReginaCoeliB on 7 hours ago

Goodness....! I'm tired and sick of this! every time we finally figure out a way to make our beloved WASC or whatever doctored cake we used to love.... they do it again, change quality, quantity... and here we go... back to square one over and over again!

So far my dear, I've been surviving out of Walmart cake mixes (great value I mean). I use my traditional WASC cake recipe and supply the missing portion of the original recipe with a 1/3 of a cup of dry cake mix. It has been working like a charm so far. But sure, one of these days Walmart as well will join the club of the never-ending disaster cake mix!

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 7 Sep 2023 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5

So mad I could chew nails

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2023 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 5

I have yet to see this change.  Going to store today.       I changed to great value several years ago with the 1st price hike & I started baking for free …for Cake4Kids.org …         I agree as a whole we would rather have a price increase instead of product change.   With this reduction in amount there must be a change in recipe effecting the overall quality!?  Discussing !  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%