Smooth Or Hide Flaws In Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By WalkersNC Updated 19 Aug 2023 , 9:37pm by -K8memphis

WalkersNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WalkersNC Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 14

I cannot get a smooth surface with the cream cheese frosting . It looks terrible. I wonder if a texture would work, or sanding sugar.  

I've been back and forth between the refrigerator to keep it cold, and trying for hours to get it smooth. 

This a ten inch round four layer cake. 

The way it looks I can't bring it out in public. I will never use cream cheese again on the outside of a cake. But I have to save this one. 

Please help. I'm getting really down about it.  Thank you.

13 replies
Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 14

I understand! Some days the frosting owns us instead of us them.  I do not offer this type of frosting, so no direct experience.  If you are still using the Sugar Geek Recipe, she notes it is a crusting frosting.  If it is crusting, the Melvira method  (i.e using a high density foam roller) could work.  She has a tutorial on site here for it. The paper towel "VIVA" method can work. Is your frosting crusting?

The easiest fix if frosting is not cooperating is if you could make it texture, as long as you have free reign to do so.  Lots of variations to that and it can cover sins, if nice smoothing is not working. As long as you get the base smooth enough, it could allow that.  Even if note, this design could work: https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3072870/falling-petals-buttercream-wedding-cake or these https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2997129/trio-of-textured-wedding-cakes.  HTH!

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 14

Cream cheese frosting (the real one) is famous for being sticky and messy. I never do or promise a smooth finish, I do ridges or spikes or something else, but smooth, never. The more you work it, the messier and runnier it will become.

This is an example of one of my cakes... see? textured is better! Good luck to you!

Carrot Cake

WalkersNC Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 14

That is lovely, ReginaCaeliB.

Singerssoul, yes I'm using the Sugar Geek recipe for crusting buttercream. I have the cake roller, but the frosting gets too hard, or soft.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 14

Sounds like it isn't setting up for whatever reason.  Is doing something more rustic an option?

WalkersNC Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 14

Yes! Hooray! Thanks to God and to you both. I did the horizontal lines pattern and it turned out just fine. The rustic look will be good with the decorations.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice. You got me through it. ❤️

ReginaCoeliB Posted 10 Aug 2023 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 14

Oh great, I love happy endings!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2023 , 9:19am
post #8 of 14

walkersnc -- I'm not familiar w/sugar geek recipes but a couple ideas for you -- first of all, good on you for keeping that cream cheese icing cold! because it is highly perishable -- but if you eliminate any liquid in the icing, that should smooth it out for you -- you can add corn starch to icing to thicken it up -- doesn't change the flavor --

I make a fuss free faux cream cheese icing I'll put the link in the next post...

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2023 , 9:27am
post #9 of 14

a couple ideas for you -- eliminate the liquid in the icing recipe -- you can also add cornstarch to icing to thicken it up -- (I am not familiar with sugar geek recipes)

here is a fuss free faux cream cheese icing 

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/query/balsamic

best to you!

ReginaCoeliB Posted 14 Aug 2023 , 1:09am
post #10 of 14

Hey Boss....Soooo gooood to see you! How come do you add cornstarch to icing? raw? just like that.... Never heard of it really! I use it a lot for creams, curds and icings, but it must be cooked. Wouldn't uncooked cornstarch be bad for your tummy (according to my grandma!)? If not, how do you add it, how much, when? 

Big hug to you and pup...

Margin note for you Boss: my dear daughter is on track to become a novice on the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, October 7th! Praised be God!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 14 Aug 2023 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 14

Quote by @-K8memphis on 2 days ago

a couple ideas for you -- eliminate the liquid in the icing recipe -- you can also add cornstarch to icing to thicken it up -- (I am not familiar with sugar geek recipes)

here is a fuss free faux cream cheese icing 

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/query/balsamic

best to you!

Nice to see you!  I love this version of faux cream cheese.   I actually have used the balsamic trick with my current preferred frosting.  

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2023 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 14

reggie, regina, lovely lady!

i have been wondering about your #1 daughter -- so young, so devoted -- october 7th -- praying for momma, daddy and for her too -- wow such dedication! I'm thinking about all the singing and I hope all goes very well this time! no midnight rides of daddy dear (rhymes with paul revere see what I did there) -- when will you get to see her again?

~~~~~

in other news, yes the cornstarch works no problem-o as is, no heat -- it just adds body -- use as needed, a tablespoon to a cup, whatever you need for it to work -- in my (wow), almost fifty years baking and  decorating, I've never heard a hint of a peep about it being detectable in any icing -- I even added a ton to some fondant once to make a vintage nurse's cap, with wings and all -- no time for it to set up -- went directly on the cake as the people queued up to be served --

tbc.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2023 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 14

cornstarch continued:

however, for forever I've heard that you can add cornstarch to all purpose flour to make a type of cake flour -- icky poo! no bueno! I mean as far as making a lighter product, yes, perfect -- but it tasted like corn!!! aghh!!! was terrible! haha haha

icing yes -- cake batter, firm flat no! laughing

love youse, reggie -- I pray for your mom and dad too -- hope they are doing as best as they can purple_heart

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2023 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 14

asimple -- nice to see you too! that makes me feel good that you've used the vinegar before -- if I could safely eat sugar these days, I'd use that recipe often!

best to you hibiscus

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%