2023 Cake Mix Issues

Baking By sherry-o Updated 21 Jul 2023 , 1:47pm by MamaGeese

sherry-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry-o Posted 9 May 2023 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 5

What are all you bakers doing about cake mix these days??? I have always been a Duncan Hines person, but not since they changed it to 1/2 cup oil. It used to be soft, moist , delicious, and smelled wonderful! Now it is coarse, has tiny holes, and the taste is nothing like it used to be! I have tried Betty Crocker and Pillsbury. They all have issues! What are you doing to make good, quality cakes??

4 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 May 2023 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 5

I made a cake a couple of weeks ago, using the regular Walmart mix and came out wonderful, as always! Used the same recipe I have been using for a decade! WASC.... I just add and extra 1/3 of a cup of mix because of the reduced box size compared to a decade ago.

sherry-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry-o Posted 16 May 2023 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 5

Thank You!! I will give that a try!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2023 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 5

Hey finally I got in!! Ive been trying for weeks and all I could get was one page could never sign in :( But so glad to be able to get in

Also glad to hear that Regina is using Walmart brand. I do almost all my cakes using it. I just wish they carried more/different flavors. I don't get to taste/eat any of my cakes so I really can't say they are wonderful but have not had a complaint. In fact I have to go home today & re-bake a strawberry cake. I used Pillsburry the only brand my Walmart carries in that flavor with my WASC recipe. As usual it didn't turn out (this was at least the 6th time I have tried using Pillsburry's strawberry mix) & instead it is heavy, overly moist and fell. This time I'll use a white mix, add mashed berries, some jello and flavoring. Wish me luck with it turning out o.k.

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 21 Jul 2023 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 5

I totally agree. There were so many great doctored recipes using boxed mixes, no more!  Years ago when they reduced the box size they also changed the formula. I've reached out to all the companies, but they have no intention of going back. My suspicion is that they added more leavening and cheaper flavorings to get the same volume of cake with less mix. I have not tried Walmart brand, but all the other brand names are trash. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%