How Far In Advance Can I Fill A Cake With Fresh Strawberries That Are Chopped And Mixed In Buttercream?

Decorating By CakeJoy2019 Updated 30 Jun 2022 , 10:52pm by -K8memphis

CakeJoy2019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJoy2019 Posted 30 Jun 2022 , 6:07am
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone!

I got an order for a 2 tiered Mario Bro themed cake while I’m on vacation but the client is willing to take it before I leave which is 2 days before the event. She would also like fresh strawberries in the top tier. Since the design has a lot of little details, I was planning on filling it on Wednesday, decorating during the day Thursday, and delivering Thursday evening. The party is on Saturday. I was planning on chopping up the strawberries and mixing them into the buttercream instead of just having a layer if sliced strawberries.  I’ll also use a dam.

Do you think the strawberries will be ok doing this? Filling the cake on Wednesday and eating Saturday? I usually only do fresh fruit fillings 2 days max in advance for the event. This will be 3 days. Thanks for all your help!

3 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Jun 2022 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 4

Only if the cake is refrigerated. Strawberries can mold overnight.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 30 Jun 2022 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 4

The sugar in the buttercream will dehydrate and make the strawberries weep and bleed... you will have a soupy red mess! Also, sugar will slow down bacteria growth, but not mold! My golden rule, NEVER fresh fruit...I'll do jams, guaranteed to stay fresh, mess and risk free.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2022 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

you can get a big strawberry bang with using strawberry powder that you make in a blender or food processor from freeze dried strawberries -- target and whole foods sells them -- probably lots of other places too -- you don't need a whole lot of product to get the big flavor --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%