Vibrant Buttercream Cookies

Decorating By cmh07818 Updated 22 Mar 2022 , 11:45am by ReginaCoeliB

cmh07818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmh07818 Posted 21 Mar 2022 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!  I’m sure this has been asked before but how do you get the really vibrant, almost metallic like colors for your frosting?  I use Americolor gel colors, as lots and still get more muted colors!  I use a buttercream with high ratio shortening, no butter.  I just can’t get those nice bright colors and it’s so frustrating!!  Please help!

4 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 21 Mar 2022 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried powder colors? That is the only kind that will give you veeeery deep colors without affecting the consistency of the icing. Now, I also used the ones already colored from the store. They carry bright orange, blue, red, green, etc.

cmh07818 Posted 22 Mar 2022 , 12:05am
post #3 of 5

Quote by @ReginaCoeliB on 43 minutes ago

Have you tried powder colors? That is the only kind that will give you veeeery deep colors without affecting the consistency of the icing. Now, I also used the ones already colored from the store. They carry bright orange, blue, red, green, etc.

can you mix the powder food coloring to make other colors the same way you mix gel colors?

cmh07818 Posted 22 Mar 2022 , 12:05am
post #4 of 5

Quote by @ReginaCoeliB on 43 minutes ago

can you mix the powder food coloring to make other colors the same way you mix gel colors?

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 22 Mar 2022 , 11:45am
post #5 of 5

I will say yes, but all depends on the combination of colors and of your medium, will not behave the same as royal icing. The red, for example goes from bright to almost black in seconds if you use too much. But traditional mixtures using plain colors, like blue, red and yellow to make other colors should do fine. Always be sure to add your light color first, and then carefully your dark one until you get the desired tone. Like for pistachio green, use the yellow first and then a tiny touch of blue, and so on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%