What Would You Do?

Business By mrsmac888 Updated 23 Sep 2021 , 3:26pm by SandraSmiley

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 20 Sep 2021 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 12

Why didn't I think to get on here and vent before this???  LOL  I did a wedding cake in July and the cake seemed to have a problem.  I live in a small community where everyone knows everyone.  I made a three tier, each tier was 6" tall, wedding cake.  As far as I am concerned, I did everything right.  The table was level, the cake was level.  When I left it, it was fine.  I was paid in full prior to the wedding.  The week after the wedding, the mom of the bride came by my house to drop off something that they borrowed and needed to be returned.  Understand, this lady is one of the sweetest people I know.  We stood at my front door and chatted about the wedding and the reception (I didn't go) and how everything went.  She casually stated that the bride and groom had to cut the cake ahead of schedule because the cake was leaning and they were afraid it would fall.  UGH!  Worst Nightmare coming true!  I asked if it did fall and she said no, but it was leaning.  Then she did say that there were some little kids at the reception and maybe one of them bumped the table.  I think that even a small bump would not have made it lean!  It was LEVEL to the max!

My question is, should I call the bride and ask her if she was happy with the cake????  She is just the absolute nicest little thing!  I hate living with the unknown.  I know I can't go back and fix what happened, but maybe I should call and see if there is anything I can do.  Maybe a bit of a refund???  I don't know.  Half of me says it was fine when I left, not my problem.  The other half says, it should have stood easily for 3 hours and not been a problem.

You can see the cake on my Pinterest Page here, I think....
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/143270831889228381/

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2021 , 12:20am
post #2 of 12

stunning cake and setting -- idk -- how about dropping off some banana or zucchini bread or something to the newlyweds? that way it's all in your control -- no explanations or mea culpa -- no mention of the leaning -- just a honeymoon gift for the happy couple 

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2021 , 12:22am
post #3 of 12

or a couple apple tarts or something

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2021 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 12

have you seen pictures of the reception? because you have that beautiful photo you can compare and see if the cake was moved if you want to pursue it -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2021 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 12

Nothing has come from the bride so I would not stir up the pot.  If you hear from the family—another order -  give them a small discount.  That’s what I would do 

mrsmac888 Posted 22 Sep 2021 , 12:21am
post #6 of 12

K8,

No, I've no pictures to compare to.  I'm friends with the photographer and I asked him if he would send me a picture of the bride and groom cutting the cake.  He has yet to send me one.

I guess I'll just let it go.  It really really bothers me that the cake may have been a problem.  

Thanks!
Christina

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 22 Sep 2021 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 12

mrsmac888

Firstly stunning cake. Did you take this picture, or photographer? Either way, you can see the cake was perfectly fine after setting up. I always took a picture after setup, time stamped. Then if anything happened to the cake, had to be on the venue. 

ps following you on Pinterest. This is me: https://www.pinterest.com/juneypruney/ 

mrsmac888 Posted 22 Sep 2021 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 12

June,  Yes, the picture on my Pinterest page is my picture after I set up the cake.  It was all good when I left. 

I sufficiently harassed the photographer.  Now I have a picture of what the cake looked like as it was being cut by the bride and groom.  If you go back to my picture, the cake has flowers on the top tier, left side.  In the picture that the photographer sent me, the top tier is bulging on the bottom left.  Like someone pushed down on it from the top.  I'm wondering if someone didn't "adjust" the flowers and put too much pressure on the cake.  Definitely could not have done that on it's own, at least I don't think so.  He also sent me a picture of the cake before the cutting and the "damage" is already there.  So it wasn't done by the couple cutting the cake.

Anyway.  Thanks for listening.  I do feel better that this wasn't something I did wrong.  And thanks for saying it was a pretty cake.  I did think so myself!  LOL

-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2021 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 12

yay!!! you just can't put a price on peace of mind! rest easy, mrsmac888!

jchuck Posted 22 Sep 2021 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 12

Well someone obviously fiddled with the cake. Could be someone tried, for some unknown reason, to adjust the cake topper. Or, maybe kitchen staff, upon removing topper/flowers for cutting  leaned into the cake?? It’s a mute point because the damage wasn’t your fault Christina. To make yourself feel better, you could send a picture to Mom of bride showing the pristine condition cake was in when set up. 

jchuck Posted 22 Sep 2021 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 12

Yuppers…K8memphis/Kate. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 12

It is a gorgeous cake and perfectly straight!  There just had to be some interference to have caused it to bulge and lean.  That soldier could have stood proud all day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%