Need Help With Freezing An Already Half Finished Cake!

Decorating By Julie5 Updated 4 Sep 2021 , 3:59am by SandraSmiley

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 3 Sep 2021 , 12:28am
post #1 of 6

Hey y’all. So I’m making a small 6 inch cake for my brothers birthday. My sister in law asked for it for Friday (tomorrow) so I did what I always do and baked on wednesday (yesterday) and froze the layers until today. Took them out and filled and crumb coated the frozen layers. It’s kind of my process and then I put the crumb coated cake in the fridge usually overnight to come to fridge temp then I final ice tomorrow morning for her to pick up. Anyway, she just called and wants it for Sunday at my moms for a party instead. If she had called me only an hour sooner I’d have just kept it frozen and not started it till Saturday. Anyway, will this cake stay fresh til Sunday? I thought about attempting to freeze it again now crumb coated. Any thoughts? Will that preserve the freshness better? If so, how do I even do that? Lol

5 replies
Julie5 Posted 3 Sep 2021 , 12:45am
post #2 of 6

To add to this, if I don’t freeze now, should I go ahead ajd finish ice it tomorrow and just leave it in the Friday’s till Sunday? Or leave the crumb coat till Saturday? 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Sep 2021 , 1:08am
post #3 of 6

You could freeze it, but if you put it in the cake box and wrap the box with plastic wrap, it should do just fine in the fridge.  You can crumb coat now or wait until later, but the crumb coat would help seal in freshness, if kept in the fridge.

Julie5 Posted 3 Sep 2021 , 1:37am
post #4 of 6

Would you recommend finish icing it then and doing the box in the fridge sealed? It’s already crumb coated now. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2021 , 12:33am
post #5 of 6

Since it’s been nearly 24 hours I hope you figured out what to do.  I’ll suggest things for any future time something like this happens.  The situation is one that really has a “this or that” answer.  Yes the cake will be fresh on Sunday— IF You did what Sandra said.  You could finish icing or leave crumbed, box then pop it into a plastic bag or wrap with cling film.  It can be placed in fridge or fzr.  Makes no difference:)    If fzn remove to fridge Sat night — or early Sunday a.m. to counter.  Do NOT unwrap for several hours until the bottom of the box is just barely cool to touch.  That eliminates condensation.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Sep 2021 , 3:59am
post #6 of 6

I am sorry I am just now seeing your question, Julie.  I had to make an Icing Smiles cake today and haven't been on line.  Yes, if it were my cake, I would go ahead and frost it, more for convenience than anything else.  Just the crumb coat will be fine too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%