How Is This Rose Done?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 3 May 2021 , 11:59pm by jchuck

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 5 Mar 2021 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 24

Happy Friday!  Can someone tell me how this rose is done?  Look at the picture in the link below.  The two toned roses in the picture is what I am questioning.  The inner part of the rose does not look like it is piped with the 1M tip.  It looks too precise.  Do you think the center is piped with a rose tip and then the decorator switched to the 1M?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/279645458102870072/

Thanks for your input!
Christina

23 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2021 , 2:14am
post #2 of 24

Sorry, the link just took me to a Pinterest page and it didn't have a piped rose pictured.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 6 Mar 2021 , 2:22am
post #3 of 24

Just like Sandra...No rose, just pinterest! Try uploading the picture.

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Mar 2021 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 24

Let's try this again...  I'm looking at the rose cupcakes only.  Thank you!

How Is This Rose Done?

ReginaCoeliB Posted 8 Mar 2021 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 24

My dear, just google out "two tone buttercream rose" there are tons of videos of the technique used. It is really simple. Hope it helps!

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2021 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 24

They are beautiful.  ReginaCoeliB, they are "simple" for someone who can use a piping bag, lol!  I know "how" to do them, but getting a pretty, even swirl is another story.  I am a klutz!

ReginaCoeliB Posted 8 Mar 2021 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 24

Oh my, yes, when I said simple I meant getting the two tones... but piping... nope, that is exactly the complicated part...practice, practice, practice. I hope Christina has the time and patience to achieve the final look, as is certainly very tricky indeed. Thanks Sandra for the input...!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2021 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 24

a little aside here --

so I'm teaching myself to 'paint' and I had to pipe part of it -- you can take the decorator out of the bakery but not out of the bones/head/heart -- ha!

blush

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Mar 2021 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 24

Haha, -K8!  In that case, maybe I should try painting my frosting!  I can sure paint better than I can pipe!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2021 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 24

it's working for me -- go for it, sandra -- my easel is a turntable!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

ReginaCoeliB Posted 9 Mar 2021 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 24

Same here, I can't stop being a mad scientist in the kitchen... Every time I try to get the artist out of me... the engineer steps out instead, trying to measure and calculate everything...sooo annoying! Hey boss, you better show us your work...I'm curious!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2021 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 24

reggie— I am learning — we’ll see

mrsmac888 Posted 11 Mar 2021 , 2:39am
post #13 of 24

I love it when the subject goes off on a spin... but look at the question again.   I can pipe a rose "swirl" all day long.  What I am asking is look at the inside center of the rose.  Is that also done with the 1M tip?  Is it just technique?   

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2021 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 24

I think I see what you’re talking about..... try making 2 commas  or sort of brackets — uuug can’t find any emojis to show you. 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 11 Mar 2021 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 24

Well Ma'am, it seems that the center comes naturally using the 2M piping tip. Now, I think it will depend of the motion of your hand. I think I would position the piping tip perpendicular to the center, do a 1/2 twist (maybe a 1/4 will do!) in the same position, and then moving the piping tip doing circles around the center you just piped... will that make sense to you? You are gonna have to have fun with some trial and error. Let us know how it went before we go on another spin whoooha!

mrsmac888 Posted 11 Mar 2021 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 24

ReginaCoeliB, Thank you.  Yes, that is helpful.  I didn't even know there was a 2M tip!  LOL  I'll have to find one and give it a try.  BTW, Love your name!

Thank you,
Christina

ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Mar 2021 , 2:05am
post #17 of 24

Ooops, did I say 2M... it was actually 2D. Hope it works!!!

Regina Coeli is a pseudonym, as everything I do, I offer it to the "Queen of Heaven", Our Blessed Mother. I love yours as well, that is my oldest daughter's middle name! 

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2021 , 2:17am
post #18 of 24

I agree with RegiaCoeliB that the center is formed by the motion of the hand......that's what I can't do!  I can do a swirl, of sorts, but not as pretty as these.

ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Mar 2021 , 2:54am
post #19 of 24

Here Christina, a picture is worth more than a thousand words

I'm attaching the link for more info The 1M vs 2D – Comparing these popular piping tips / nozzles – Cakes by Lynz

How Is This Rose Done?

mrsmac888 Posted 12 Mar 2021 , 2:30pm
post #20 of 24

Ok Ladies.  You've been extremely helpful!  Thank you SO much.  Here I thought the roses that I pictured were some complicated process, as the very center is more open than I've ever gotten them.  I'll have to try the technique that ReginaCoeli describes and see if I can't get the same effect.

Love you all for being so awesome!  Have a beautiful weekend, albeit, it's going to rain all weekend. But, here in Kansas, we need it badly!  
Christina 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Mar 2021 , 4:04pm
post #21 of 24

Rain + Kansas = Muddy puddles 

Muddy puddles + Kiddos = Lots of laundry for Reggis

I'll try to enjoy the much needed rain!

Love back to you Christina... don't forget to send us pictures!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Apr 2021 , 7:05pm
post #22 of 24

a good way to cheat at making those roses, is using a medium ribbon tip, the tip is almost two C shapes together,  and angle it about 45 degree on nail, start in center and go around and out from there,  my tip is 20 years old, don’t know if they still make it, the number is rubbed off.  now in icing bag put, for example, pink, white, pink side by side, so that when you make rose, it will be pink inside, white outer edge and then pink back at the bottom. I hope this makes sense

mrsmac888 Posted 3 May 2021 , 10:10pm
post #23 of 24

Tesso,

When we get back to being able to post pictures, I'd love to see the tip you are talking about!  :-)

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 3 May 2021 , 11:59pm
post #24 of 24

mrsmac888 

Iv’e been trying to post a cake I made for 2 days!!!!! At first I thought it was my iphone/ipad. Nope. Tried on my husband’s Samsung tablet. Still no go. Every time I uploaded a picture, CC would say….. “ error, can’t upload “. Grrrrrrr. Hopefully the glitch will get fixed soon…

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%