One Last Wonder On Air Bubbles, Holes

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 13 Mar 2021 , 3:34pm by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 26 Feb 2021 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, all my friends.....I'm on here all the time complaining about air holes in my cakes, I've tried EVERYTHING!!!  Something came to mind as a possible culprit....could I possibly be waiting too long to get the cake batter into the oven? I've been spending so much time banging the pans on counter, running knife through batter, waiting for bubbles to quit coming up (which they never do) etc. could that actually be causing the air bubbles? 

3 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 26 Feb 2021 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 4

That might be a cause, yes... the baking soda does not need heat to start bubbling...If you wait too long those bubbles will start forming and getting together (since the batter is runny) and become big  bubbles....I put my cakes in the oven as soon as I finish mixing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2021 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 4

MamaGeese I don't see how that can be any part of it.   Im limited to baking EVERYTHING in a toaster oven.  My cake recipe that makes 3 pans worth but can bake only one at a time so the other2 sit on the counter waiting their turn to get hot.  I have much more time to play with breaking bubbles  which seems to make my batters end up with much less.     I'm thinking you might be over beating you batter.  Are the beaters covered with batter?  Are you mixing at a high speed?   Maybe, just maybe you need to slow down &/or use a deep,narrow bowl so the beaters get covered with batter? :) ?

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 13 Mar 2021 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 4

Ok, one more shot friends....it dawned on me, that I work harder today trying to get air bubbles out of batter than I ever did as a newbie way back in the day...I usually use a skewer to run through batter to break up bubbles, well I decided I wouldn't do that and see what happened...the finished cake actually had less holes! Still more than I want, but not nearly as bad. Could I actually have been creating air pockets in batter by running skewer through batter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%