High Heel Wobbly When I Take Off Ramp Please Help!!!

Baking By hails Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 2:27pm by hails

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 10 Dec 2020 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 13

Good afternoon wonderful ladies and gents,

Please help me I have a cake to deliver on Saturday with heel on top. I made it out of gum paste. Made heel 

on Monday let it dry then Tuesday did the rest of the shoe. Took it off the ramp today ( Thursday) to paint and details

after the heel being off the drying ramp for about 30 minutes I noticed it was bending and was not standing upright 

like when i took it off. I immediately pit it back on the ramp but am so worried it will happen on Saturday again.

I spent 51/2 hrs working on it and don't want anything to happen. Has anyone got advice for me PLEASE!

Did I take it off the ramp to soon? Can i fix it will drying on the ramp longer help?

THANk YOU

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2020 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 13

hmm idk sounds like it's not fully dry -- I have a warming drawer I put my items in to help them dry but I don't know exactly what to do about your shoe -- 

if you think it needs to crisp up you could turn on your oven to no more than 150 degrees but if you only have one pair I mean who knows what might happen --

I'm just curious, why did it take so long to make?

and the lesson for next time is make more than one -- 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2020 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 13

if you decide to dry it -- don't touch it till it cools off -- you can also warm up the oven then turn it off and put it in when it's cooled off to 150 -- but it might crack too  -- it's not drying evenly so idk 

I would make another one pronto 

hails Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 12:16am
post #4 of 13

Thank you for your feedback I have put it back on the ramp and will continue to let it dry. It took me that long because its my first...lol

and has lots of details. No time to make another don't think it would dry in a day but great advice will make two next time. 

Hopefully not so long....lol

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 12:20am
post #5 of 13

i would suggest not putting it in the fridge like if you deliver your cakes cold -- put it on after delivery if possible --

best to you!!! love to hear an update afterwards -- 

hails Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 12:41am
post #6 of 13

Quote by @-K8memphis on 16 minutes ago

i would suggest not putting it in the fridge like if you deliver your cakes cold -- put it on after delivery if possible --

best to you!!! love to hear an update afterwards -- High Heel Wobbly When I Take Off Ramp Please Help!!!

hails Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 12:43am
post #7 of 13

This was before I put it back on the ramp I pray it will hold up and dry by tomorrow. Thank you 

so much for taking time to respond 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 3:33am
post #8 of 13

I've never dried a shoe in the oven, but I've always made them way in advance, so they were completely dry.  I also made the base of the shoe and the heel from pastillage, which is super strong and drys faster than gum paste or fondant.  I think your best bet is to leave it on the form as long as possible.  There is a good bet it will be dry by Saturday.  As -K8 said, DON'T PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE and do place it on the cake at the venue.  Best of luck!  It is very pretty!

By the way, I probably spent at least that many hours on the most simple shoe I've ever made and a whole lot more on the more decorative ones.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 3:44am
post #9 of 13

Leave shoe in your oven overnight with the light on.  The heat from the bulb will help dry it out 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 11:59am
post #10 of 13

oh it's GORgeous!!!! 

I don't see a problem with it so if it does draw up a bit you'll be fine!!! but like sandra said it will probably be completely dry with the extra time you have --  

+1

and it's probably too late to give it heat -- I'd be afraid of it breaking

hails Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 13

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 10 hours ago

I've never dried a shoe in the oven, but I've always made them way in advance, so they were completely dry.  I also made the base of the shoe and the heel from pastillage, which is super strong and drys faster than gum paste or fondant.  I think your best bet is to leave it on the form as long as possible.  There is a good bet it will be dry by Saturday.  As -K8 said, DON'T PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE and do place it on the cake at the venue.  Best of luck!  It is very pretty!

By the way, I probably spent at least that many hours on the most simple shoe I've ever made and a whole lot more on the more decorative ones.

Thank you so much!!!!! Have a wonderful day.

hails Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 13

Quote by @-K8memphis on 2 hours ago

oh it's GORgeous!!!! 

I don't see a problem with it so if it does draw up a bit you'll be fine!!! but like sandra said it will probably be completely dry with the extra time you have --  

+1

and it's probably too late to give it heat -- I'd be afraid of it breaking

Thank you :) Have a fantastic day!

Quote by @kakeladi on 10 hours ago

Leave shoe in your oven overnight with the light on.  The heat from the bulb will help dry it out 

hails Posted 11 Dec 2020 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @kakeladi on 10 hours ago

Thank you have a wonderful day

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%