Making Black Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By Misskitty90 Updated 2 Sep 2020 , 2:14pm by kakeladi

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 1 Sep 2020 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 3

Is there an easy way to make black frosting without using a gallon of food coloring/gel to make it dark black?  Same with Navy blue.  Thanks 

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Sep 2020 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 3

For black, I use chocolate frosting made with dark chocolate.  Just a short step to black.  Air brushing is a good way to get dark colors without all the food coloring too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2020 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 3

Yes:)  There are several ways. Black is a combination of all colors.   It takes time but you can always have some on hand by saving every teeny, tiny bit of b’cream at the end of every project.   Keep it in the freezer mixing any & all colors until you need some black.  Defrost, stir well, ignore the ugly color & add your black gel:)  It takes much less gel.   Some people make a dark chocolate icing before adding the black gel but there are times when chocolate is not wanted.  Others use black cocoa powder.   For small amounts buy a tube of Wilton’s black writers, cut the back of my, scrapes out & mix into any color you have on hand.  It is sooo saturated with color it will easily blacken about 1/2 cup:)   O me last tip — any dark/intense color takes time to develop - mix at least the day befor to allow that deepening.  It can rest at room temp or in fridge,   Ohh... also remove a small amount from the batch & microwave it for about 5-10 seconds depending on how much there is then return to the rest & mix well.   

I think —- I hope that’s all the hints I know of & that it helps!  

If you cannot reply to any post just start a new post referring to the one you are talking about in the subject line by adding a 2 or 3 etc 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%