3D Squirrel

Baking By sama2365 Updated 27 Aug 2020 , 11:16am by sama2365

sama2365 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sama2365 Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 16

My boss loves squirrels and I want to make a 3d standing squirrel, does anyone have a tutorial or give me ideas on how to sculpture it 

15 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 16

Here is a pretty elaborate tutorial on sculpting a pug dog, which could easily be adapted o a squirrel, but I believe there are easier ones.  I will look.

https://www.pettinice.com/tutorials/pug-cake-armature-and-shortcuts/

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 16

Here is a much more simple tutorial for sculpting Grumpy Cat, which could also be easily converted to a squirrel.  If you would like to show the squirrel's whole body, just stack the cakes taller and carve out the suggestion of legs and add his tail.  If the cake gets really tall, add three skewers through the whole thing, for support and stability.  If you have any questions, I a fairly experienced at sculpting and would be happy to help, if possible.

https://www.mybluprint.com/article/ready-for-some-incredible-cake-sculpting-inspo-weve-got-that-plus-some-useful-beginners-tips

If you are unable to reply to this post, just start a new one and refer back to the original.

sama2365 Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you, im planning on using 6" round cake, do you think 4 should be enough for high. By the way this will be my first time carving a cake

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 16

The height depends upon how much of the body you want to show.  Since this is your first, I recommend the Grumpy Cat tutorial.  It will show you how many layers of cake are needed. Your can make the squirrel's tail out of Rice Krispy Treats and have it coming up behind or beside of the body, separately from the main structure.

Tips for carving:  Find a picture to use as a guide for carving and print it the actual size of the finished cake.  Choose a recipe that is nice and sturdy.  Very soft cakes will not hold up to carving.  Freeze the cake until very firm before you carve.  It makes carving so much easier.

If you do not have a suitable recipe, I recommend kakeladi's Original WASC recipe.  You can use it for any flavor cake, it is very moist requiring no drizzle, and sturdy enough to stack and carve.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe 

sama2365 Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 16

Thank you Sandra for your help. Ill be making this next week. I will post picture when done.  Should I put support in the cake.

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Aug 2020 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 16

It is not strictly necessary unless it starts to feel unstable.  To be on the safe side, you could use one central dowel, anchored into the cake board.  Good luck!  I can't wait to see it and know it will be darling.

sama2365 Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 2:58am
post #8 of 16

I panic and couldn't do the standing squirrel, I've never carved before. I know this is not perfect but this is what I did. Thank you Sandra3D Squirrel

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 3:16am
post #9 of 16

sama, it is fantastic!  I almost suggested you do a 2D carved squirrel, but I didn't want to be minding your business.  You totally rocked it and I know the recipient will be over the moon!  Now you have experienced carving, when you have plenty of time and no need for perfection, try a 3D.  It is not nearly as hard as you might think.  

All the way around, Home Run!

By the way, he is soooo cute!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 4:31am
post #10 of 16

I agree with Sandra!   You done good gal:)     Everyone will know right off what he is.   Feel better now?   You should:)  

sama2365 Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 9:40am
post #11 of 16

Thank you so much for making me feel better, by the way I used cotton candy to cover his tail.

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 16

Clever idea, using cotton candy!  Did you airbrush the color?

I don't think I could have brought myself to cut this, too cute!

sama2365 Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 16

Yes, I airbrushed it.

sama2365 Posted 26 Aug 2020 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 16

Yes, I airbrushed it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2020 , 1:13am
post #15 of 16

How did the cotton candy hold up?  Especially after being AB?  From what I’ve it melts very quickly. 

sama2365 Posted 27 Aug 2020 , 11:16am
post #16 of 16

Hi Kakeladi, I was worried when I AB it but I did it from a distance and it did good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%