How To Cool/prepare Cake Layers Correctly

Baking By Misskitty90 Updated 31 Jul 2020 , 3:59pm by kakeladi

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 31 Jul 2020 , 12:57am
post #1 of 3

This site is so helpful! How do you cool your cakes?  Do you just let them naturally cool and then crumb coat them...or put them in the fridge first and then crumb coat? I usually put it in the fridge After I crumb coat. I worry about the cooling off and then warming up to room temp if that causes air pockets and then the cake shifts.  What's the best way to prevent shifting so your cake stands straight even when it settles? Thnx!

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jul 2020 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 3

When I remove my cakes from the oven, I set the pans on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, a little more for very large pans.  I then turn the cakes out onto the wire racks and cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.  When I am ready, I crumb coat and return to the fridge to stay nice and cold until I get ready to frost.  There is no reason why you can't crumb coat as soon as the cakes cool to room temperature, I just usually chill first.

As discussed on another post, the first thing you should do to prevent shifting is to be sure the layers are flat.  If there is a domed top, slice it off.  Also, be sure your filling is sturdy enough to hold the next layer.  If using a soft filling, like preserves, make a ring of stiff buttercream on the outside edge of the layer and fill inside the ring with the softer component.

It is not always necessary, and I guess it is mostly habit, but I always keep my cakes refrigerated, removing them about an hour before serving.  This is a fool proof way to prevent slipping and sliding.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2020 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 3

Sandra said it all very well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%