Playing Card Groom's Cake

Decorating By greyelf Updated 17 May 2005 , 6:28pm by SquirrellyCakes

greyelf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyelf Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 11

In addition to a regular wedding cake for my daughter's wedding, my daughter has asked me to try to come up with a groom's cake that we had an idea for. He loves playing poker (as is the fad nowadays) and I thought perhaps if I couldn't find some sort of ready made pan with this theme, that I could use 2 rectangular pans and more or less make a layered cake with the "card" on top fanned and supported somehow since part of it will be turned diagonally and obviously need something to hold it up. I thought about just cutting out the second rectangle and piecing it around the first rectangular cake just so I have the fanned card look, as it would likely be much simpler for me in the long run. However, I like the idea though of the stacked cake with the support only because of visual interest. Does anyone know where to find a ready made pan I might want to buy instead of trying to do this on my own? Or, does either of my own ideas seem to be the way to go? I really would like anyone's opinions. I have until October to get this right, so I wanted to start early as I know my daughter will probably change her mind about 5 times before this is all said and done. Email replies are welcome as well.

10 replies
Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 5 May 2005 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 11

have you thought about making color flow cards? to place on the cake? that might be cool!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 May 2005 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 11

I just saw a really great cake for poker. What she did was use a hexagon shaped cake and made it into a poker table. She had playing cards, poker ships and dice on the table. It was a really neat cake.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 5 May 2005 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 11

Hi All,
Brand new here, love this site!
I did this cake for a 40th BD poker fanatic last year. Most of my cakes ideas are borrowed but this one came straight out of my head, I am pretty proud of it if I may ring my own bell.

It was an 12x18 sheet. The playing cards are chocolate (my mom picked me up a mold in Denver). The poker chips and dice are candy clay. I took a regular poker chip and imprinted it to the candy clay then trimmed it to get the look. I did use supports under the cards and assembled the last 2 tiers on site. I t may not be what you are looking for. Thanx Heather
LL

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 11

Gilpnh, that cake is fabulous!!! thumbs_up.gif

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 11

THAT CAKE IS AWESOME. GREAT JOB! WELCOME AND ENJOY.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 17 May 2005 , 5:37am
post #7 of 11

Wonderful cake!!

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 17 May 2005 , 6:10am
post #8 of 11

I think any groom would love that cake, gilpnh. That is a great design and welcome to cakecentral. I have learned so much from everyone. Thanks to you all. Goodluck with the cakes, greyelf, and make sure you post them after the wedding.

Janice

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 17 May 2005 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 11

Here's the link to the poker cake that cakeconfections mentioned.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=49

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 17 May 2005 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I just saw a really great cake for poker. What she did was use a hexagon shaped cake and made it into a poker table. She had playing cards, poker ships and dice on the table. It was a really neat cake.

Hey, that's my cake!! Thanks. It was fun to make (and pretty easy). Let me know if you want details. I would be flattered for you to use it.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 May 2005 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 11

Both of these poker cakes are fabulous! Great works!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%