Lemon Curd?

Baking By kakeladi Updated 25 Apr 2020 , 12:24pm by Laetia

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 2:36am
post #1 of 33

In searching recipes I find they call for 3 to 6 egg yolks Some say to make over a double boiler others in a pan directly on the burner; some mix all 5 ingredients (including the butter whereas others have one add it after it has been cooked Soooo Which recipe do you prefer & why please :) Oh & What to do w/the leftover whites ??

32 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 3:37am
post #2 of 33

This is my favorite lemon curd recipe, Lynne, and it is made with three whole eggs in the microwave.  It takes seven minutes in my microwave.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/70036/microwave-lemon-curd/

kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 11:07am
post #3 of 33

Looks good I’ll give it a try What do you do w/it besides filling cake?

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 33

Nothing!  I put any left overs in the freezer.  When freezing or storing in the refrigerator (you may already know this, so ignore me is you do), put a piece of plastic wrap covering the curd, actually touching the whole top surface, to prevent a skin from forming.

I know there are other ways to use it, on biscuits, for instance, but I've never used it any other way.  I do like to serve extra with the cake.  Also, I've never made a lemon version (but I will), I make a lime cheese cake that has lime curd on top of it, which is our favorite.  I also like to serve extra curd on the side for it.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 33

Thank you Sandra!  I love lemon curd and I love this idea

But I have a question - I wound up getting extra large eggs in my delivery order instead of large.  How many eggs would you use if extra large? Or would I just increase the other ingredients? 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 33

Theresa I never make a big batch unless I’m making a specific recipe. My go too is this 1 egg microwave lemon curd. Comes out every time!! I usually put the curd through a sieve to get out any lumps. Then I add my zest.   https://www.dessertfortwo.com/microwave-lemon-curd/  Enjoy. 

kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 33

Theresa I think using the extra large eggs will just make a richer/thicker curd As I said there are recipes that use up to 6 eggs I just tried what I made yesterday & it’s a bit on the tart side & has a tiny bitter aftertaste Maybe that’s normal but the only other I’ve tasted didn’t I’ll give Sandra’s a try when the ingredients defrost—-BUT she has given us 2 different recipes :(

theresaf Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 33

Thank you both!  Next time I print a recipe tho I am going to ignore the calorie/fat/carb count - ughhhhh 

In a related story, a read an Instagram post from a local seamstress who suggested instead of sitting around in sweats we should sit around in our bathing suits.  I think she meant with sweats over them - wink wink 

jchuck Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 33

The recipe I posted uses the whole egg, which is unusual for a curd, but it works. I have a lot of recipes for “two” bookmarked on my tablet. Because make too much goes to waste. And I don’t have too many neighbours to give baked goods to. 

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 33

theresaf, as kakeladi said, I don't thing the size of your eggs will make very much difference.  If I happen to have extra egg yolks from making frosting or something, I will just toss a couple of them in with the other eggs, so not critical.

kakeladi, I find the microwave recipe I gave you to be quite tart.  You may want to add a little more sugar.  To be honest, I usually use far more zest than called for.

June, lemon curd freezes perfectly!

jchuck Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 33

Oh I know curds freeze well. But Steve isn’t keen on any type of curd, so I usually make the 1 whole egg micro curd cause it’s just enough for me for a week.

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 12:08am
post #12 of 33

That sounds like a good idea, June.  I only use it to fill layer cakes or top cheese cakes and always have considerable left over.  Since it is so quick and easy to make, I think I will try your method.

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 2:35am
post #13 of 33

I have forgotten how to add a pic in a post:( I not only made the MW curd I used pari of it to make “bars” or something like that:) Made a cookie crust, partly baked it, then poured the curd on top & finished baking it Can’t wait to try it Thought to put some pastry cream on top but now I’m too tried to make it So someone talk me through adding the pix?

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 2:40am
post #14 of 33

Well this old gal can’t remember how to post pix:( Can someone talk me through it? I made the MW curd & used part on a cookie crust for “bars”

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 3:32am
post #15 of 33

Lynne, position your curser in the reply box where you type your message.  Look at the row of symbols at the top.  The fifth symbol from the right looks like a landscape photograph.  Click on it and a box will open that says "choose a local file".  Look at the left hand column and select the camera symbol, 2nd from the top.  This will open your pictures on your computer / phone, select the one you want to post and click on it.  That will bring you back to the original page.  All you have to do then is hit Submit at the bottom of the box.

Hope this makes sense!

Great idea using the lemon curd to make lemon squares.  I LOVE them!

theresaf Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 11:45am
post #16 of 33

Yummm lemon bars! I think that may be this weekend's plan.. Yay!

jchuck Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 2:10pm
post #17 of 33

I actually made “lemon brownies” a couple of weeks ago. Unlike squares, they didn’t have a cookie bottom layer.  Oh my, but they were yummy.... :o)

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 33

June, I've never heard of a lemon brownie!  I would love to have the recipe, if you would like to share.  Anything lemon or lime gets a thumbs up from me!

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 5:51pm
post #19 of 33

Well shoot my post got lost in cyberspace:( Trying again Sandra all I have is a line box shape w/reply in lg print on top there are no symbols at all All I can do is type w/in the box I thought there was some icon needed but they are no longer showing Uugggg this phone!:(

jchuck Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 10:10pm
post #20 of 33

Here is the recipe Sandra  https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/one-bowl-lemon-brownies/

I watched the video, and I kept thinking to myself, gee this woman is so familiar. Then the bell went off......Jenny Jones the talk show host!!!!  I didn’t even realize she was Canadian. From a city about an hour from me.  Anyway, back to the recipe. I used ap flour. And recipe only calls for 2 tblsp of squeezed lemon juice. I squeezed 3 lemons and used all the juice + the zest. So probably a good 1/4 cup or more. I didn’t adjust anything else, and brownies turned out great.

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 3:50pm
post #21 of 33

I don't know what is going on, kakeladi.  The row of icons is supposed to be directly underneath the large "Reply".  Is this on your phone?

Thank you so much, June!  I always use lots more lemon juice (substituting it for some of the other liquid) and zest than a recipe calls for.  I like a nice lemon punch!  I have a lemon pound cake scheduled, but this is on my list to try next.

jchuck Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 10:13pm
post #22 of 33

The icons are there on my iPhone. Don’t know what phone kakeladi/Lynne has??

You will really love this brownie recipe Sandra. A one bowl recipe. Simple, and yummy.

jchuck Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 10:14pm
post #23 of 33

Bump Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 10:31pm
post #24 of 33

June, it looks yummy!  I can hardly wait to try it.  A few days ago, one of our neighbors brought us a blueberry cobbler.  I never return an empty dish, so I am thinking of filling her dish with lemon brownies!  I know her favorite pie is lemon meringue, so how could they miss?!

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 10:50pm
post #25 of 33

Sandra, Lynne, and june…..

I've been away for a few days.  My attention got pulled away from here, and baking in general.  I've been playing around with my new crochet hooks and some old yarn.  I didn't have any patience, so I ordered a new set of hooks.  And I found a box with some skeins of yarn And a half-done, knitted afghan.  I could use it for a nice lap blanket, but I've totally forgotten how to cast off to 'finish' it.  Both have got to be a good 10 years old.  They are in a moving box at the bottom of my big sewing cabinet.

Back to why I'm here today...…..I've been reading all of the entries about lemon this, and lemon that....and my mouth is watering.  But I Know/knew that I would never get around to making any of them....having no lemons.    And then....yesterday, late afternoon...my neighbor brought me something she bought for me....Trader Joe's Lemon Shortbread Mix.  What's crazy is that it sounds like what you made, lynne!  Go figure!  I'd love to try them, but I would still have to get lemons.  And I was Just at the grocery store today!  Oooppppsssss!  Maybe in a few days.

Oh yeah.....In playing with my crocheting, I've already used up 2 skeins just trying a few stitch patterns to make a muffler.  They keep coming out too thick and stiff.  But I keep going.....lol  I need something to Do with my hands while watching TV!  It's bad!  I get fidgety if I'm not doing two/3 things at once.  And I can No longer just sit and Look at the TV.  I then feel like I'm wasting my time.

Sorry for running on......I had to make up for a lil lost time.

Have a great evening, Ladies!

Peace!

Christie

jchuck Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 11:28pm
post #26 of 33

Christie if I don’t have fresh lemons on hand, I have a bottle of lemon juice in my fridge. I always prefer using real lemons, especially in a curd. But in a pinch I will use in a recipe, like a cake. Just handy to have on hand. And that was very thoughtful of your neighbour. My Mom was a great knitter and crocheted too. I tried to learn both, but never got the hang of it. Found it frustrating, not enjoyable. Still have had no interest in learning. I’m sure if you googled “casting off”, sure you’d find a solution. Found this....might help.  https://sheepandstitch.com/library/how-to-cast-off-knitting/

Blessings June

❤️

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 11:36pm
post #27 of 33

Like you, June, I always keep a bottle of Real Lemon and on of Real Lime in my refrigerator, in case I don't have enough lemons and/or limes on hand.  It works very well in recipes.  I also keep powdered milk and (yipeeee) finally found powdered buttermilk in the pantry for baking emergencies.

jchuck Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 11:37pm
post #28 of 33

Oh Sandra.... blueberry cobbler. I love a good cobbler. There was a restaurant here that made the most delicious raspberry cobbler. A girlfriend and I would go there just for that. Sadly, restaurant is gone now.

And speaking of blueberries......My next door neighbours married daughter made a weight watchers oldie dessert and I was given some. A blueberry dessert. It’s so simple and no one ever figures what the main component is. Plain, unsalted soda crackers. Then whipped cream, usually cool whip, then fruit of some kind. Just layered. Then has to sit overnight so the crackers will soften up. Yum. ❤️

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 11:43pm
post #29 of 33

That sounds good, June....the dessert made with crackers, I mean.  I do like blueberries in muffins, cakes, cobblers, etc, but my favorite way to eat them is as a snack (like grapes) or with cake.  For some reason, I love berries and fruits as a side with my cake.

jchuck Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 11:50pm
post #30 of 33

Sandra I love anything blueberry...muffins, cobbler, pie....whatever. But can’t stand eating blueberries on there own. Nope, just don’t.  And I love to have raspberries, strawberries, even a sliced banana on the side with a piece of cake. Actually my Mom often would top a chocolate cake with walnuts and either fresh raspberries or strawberries. Sometimes Mom would make a chocolate cake, and serve uniced just with fruit accompanying the cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%