Yeast Shortage!

Decorating By lvdenver Updated 13 May 2020 , 10:43pm by doz

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 62

Hi folks...…

I'm sure most of you know by now about the Yeast Shortage during the Coronavirus Pandemic and all the Social Distancing (is that the term this week?) going on.  We are having to find ways to keep occupied, and keep our sanity.  Some with new ways, some with tried and true ones.

I, for one, have ventured into the world of Bread Baking, actually mostly rolls.  With that comes the need for baking supplies...many/most, if not all are gone from the store shelves.  But YEAST?????  I never would have seen that one coming.

Did any of you happen to see the first 10 mins or so of Jimmy Kimmel last night...?  He was talking about  what I think they called "Panic" or "Pandemic" buying...what is the hot item,  week by week.  (Had a chart and everything) 

By week, it went something like #1  Food, #2  Toilet paper, #3  Paper Towels, #4  Baking Yeast (!), and next up will be Hair Care Products.  Don't quote me on the exact order.

Between the article I saw in my daily newsletter from AtlasObscura.com on a shortage of yeast, to the empty stores, to Jimmy Kimmel, a National Show?  Things are Crazy out there!!!!!

Do you have and crazy stories of obtaining the supplies you need for whatever hobbies, baking or otherwise, you working, or want to work on?

We have time, I know I do, so I'm curious what's been happening.

I can say that three days ago, and because I wanted to take a second try at Cinnamon Rolls, I ventured out for Yeast.  After 2 1/2 hours, and 6, SIX stores, I came home empty-handed. So now, with great assistance and advice from CC members, I am finding ways to deal with the 'Questionable' yeast I still have.  There's been some good, and some bad results.  And as they say..."I'm living and Learning".

Take care and stay Safe!

Peace!

61 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 62

I always have sugar, flour, chocolate, etc stocked up, but not that much yeast because I only make bread occasionally. So, I was finally able to order yeast from King Arthur. It took almost three weeks to get it, but now I can finally make pizza!

I was going to make bread and some laminated dough just because for something to do. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 62

there is yeast available on Amazon, the price is quite high though. 

lvdenver Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 62

Hi MB.....

I would imagine it probably is.  They just seem to know when things are in demand.  I can't afford to order online.....Anything.  And I'm getting a bit tired of Every announcement and Guideline saying to 'just order in, or have your groceries delivered'.  And I don't have Prime, either.  lol  And No Streaming services.  I live almost like a caveman....or maybe a Homesteader.....lol  Simply.  My sister doesn't even check on me.

Have a good evening....

Peace!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:08am
post #5 of 62

I never make bread & usually avoid recipe that use yeast so when you all talking about it I did look at 2 stores w/o finding any I’m more like into sweet breads:) So far in the past couple months I’ve made pineapple, lemon, banana & green tomato “tea”/sweet breads Anyone want any? Right now they are talking up room in the fzr :(

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:54am
post #6 of 62

I have a friend in Texas who reported she was unable to find yeast about four weeks ago.  Since I am the only person I know in our community who makes bread, I was pretty confident there would be plenty yeast on the shelves in our stores.  I checked Food Lion and Walmart, our usual haunts, and both were, and still are, completly out.  I was going to send her some, but fortunately, another of her friends found some, so she's good.  I order mine in bulk from King Arthur Flour (who was also out of stock at the time), so had plenty on hand, along with my nearly a dozen different kinds of flour.  Since I am a bread baker, those are my standard pantry staples.

Ivdenver, kakeladi is so right!  There are all kinds of fabulous sweet breads, the Queen being good, ole banana bread.  Again, King Arthur Flour has tons of recipes and so does All Recipes. 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:59am
post #7 of 62

I rarely go out, but did accompany Mike to Walmart yesterday so I could study the baking isle.  I came away with a jar of Ghee, the powdered buttermilkwhich I was unable to find earlier, a blend of flax, hemp and chia seeds, and anise extract.  I love the baking isle!

Oh, the point of this story was that I notice the meat department was almost empty.  The country has gone completely nuts!

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:07am
post #8 of 62

Lynne, Sandra...….

Yes, the country IS going crazy!  I can understand being out of flour, sugar, choc chips (for us novice bakers) and the Average household baking...But YEAST?  I' don't  remember the last time I tried  yeast bread...simply for the 'fear factor'.  I figured Somebody would have it.  But No!  It got to be comedic...except for the fact that I wanted it so bad.

It's got to be that with all this 'Mandatory staying in', folks are getting brave and thinking, what the heck?  I have time to kill.  And the normal ingredients aren't expensive.  lol  And the fact that the store clerks give me that 'Another person asking for yeast?' look.  But the topper was seeing it mentioned on Jimmy Kimmel last night..  And I don't even watch it, for the most part.  It's the last channel I put the TV on at night before going to bed.  And there it was.  Plus the article on Breads without Yeast to tackle....that was interesting, too.  One of the breads was the Boston Brown Bread, complete with being in a can.

Sandra, you are a smart cookie (loaf?) to always have it.  I have 3 friends who are on the hunt when they are out....to see is they can find it in any .   different areas.  And yes, I Love to make banana bread (Betty Crocker Traditional).  But Now I find myself without any 'nanners.  I could ask a the neighbor upstairs, but then I'd have to give her some.  I don't mind giving to my 4 others in the bldg., but she...she always has a critique about how things are too sweet, or should have put in nuts, or mine is a great recipe...you should try it.  I call her the 'One-upper-.  Even when she tells you about screwing up a recipe, she ends it with 'But everybody loved it...it was gone in minutes'.  So when I'm looking for compliments (I admit it) SHE is not the person to share with.  So much so that I have 4 rolls left from last night, and I'd rather toss them than go through that.  lol

June....Pineapple Bread?????  As in a loaf of bread, or more like upside down cake?  You have absolutely piqued my interest.  Please share if it's got a link.  I'd be up for trying that....I think.  But not tooo soon as I was Exhausted today after the stress I put on myself yesterday.  I had to lie down today, only 5 hours after waking.  And I was Out for almost 3 hours!   That's bad!  lol  But I let my body dictate.

Have a good evening girls.  I'll either be back later, if some obscure question pops into my head...or tomorrow.

Tanks for the input.  Stay Safe!

Peace!

kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:40am
post #9 of 62

Pineapple breat — found the recipe on the net just google pineapple tea bread recipe It’s made basically like banana bread but use canned pineapple instead On one of daughters shopping trips I had asked for “canned fruit” & she came home w/2 cans I almost never use/eat pineapple like I would peaches or pears etc so had to find something to do with it

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:43am
post #10 of 62

Pumpkin bread is also a great option, Ivdenver.  Surely the stores are not out of canned pumpkin!  Or canned yams, lemon poppy seed, the varieties are endless!

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:55am
post #11 of 62

Lynne.....

I tried to go back and correct your name, but it wouldn't let me.  My apologies.  Pineapple bread sounds like something Right up my alley!  I have a definite sweet tooth, so I gravitate to sweeter breads. (heck, sweeter anything)  I'll be looking for a recipe for sure!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Sandra...I should try my hand at pumpkin bread.  I know for a fact that I have at least 2 cans of each type of pumpkin - plain and pie filling - on my shelves.  For those Winter Holiday urges to make pie that I never follow through on.  Maybe it's time to drag them out.  But doesn't the bread only use a small portion of the can?  I don't like to waste the remainder.  (Good excuse! :) )

Both of those sound Delicious.  And I'm not as scared of quick breads as yeast breads.  I might have to leave those to the 'experts'.  I still don't know the difference, but also haven't looked, between Challah and Brioche..other than they are much more expensive than I would spend at the store...because I can't.

Time to go do something else.  Apologies for any typos, wrong names, etc.

Stay safe and Well!

Peace!

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 3:35am
post #12 of 62

Ivdenver, as best I remember, the bread uses the whole can of pumpkin.  It may actually make two loaves, I can't remember.  I never buy pumpkin pie filling, always just use the canned (or fresh) pumpkin and the recipe on the Libby can, which is made with evaporated milk.  Lately I've used the recipe on the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk can and everyone agrees they like it a little better.  It is a slight bit sweeter because of the condensed milk.

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 4:00am
post #13 of 62

Sandra.....

Looks I'll now be on the hunt for a recipe!

And I wouldn't expect you to do anything but use the straight pumpkin.  lol  You are much more experienced and don't Want shortcuts.  Me, I'll take whatever shortcuts, tips, methods, any of that, that I can get.

In my house, if it comes out of the oven hot, then it's Homemade and sometimes I can pass those off as from Scratch!  And I'll tell ya, 'my people' don't care.  Except maybe the one in the upstairs apartment. Hee-Hee

I have everything to make one of those back-of-the-can pies.  I just never got around to it.  Actually, as I remember, the very day I bought all the supplies for one, a neighbor brought me a whole pie she had received from the local Food Bank.  She doesn't like pumpkin.  My benefit!  They are a great food bank.  but I don't think they have re-opened since the first-second week of our 'Suggested Quarantine'.  Too bad, too, because they are less than 1/2 a mile from my place here.  They really have been a lifesaver!  Because of them supplying so many Staples, I have been able to buy a couple more of the baking supplies that I wouldn't normally get.

Peace!

kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 4:40am
post #14 of 62

Even if the recipe doesn’t use the whole an just use the rest in soup No matter what I have on hand — even if just a spoonful of pizza sauce, some canned whatever throw it all together in a pot w/ broth along with every veggies I can find & it’s soup! Might even add pkg Of ramen

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 4:59am
post #15 of 62

That's another thing I've never made. Lynne....Soup.  My mom and sister both made it often.  I think the reason I didn't cook a whole lot is that I didn't have any kids.  And when I was married, my husband had a strange schedule, only home about 1/3 on the time.  He had a very strange, revolving schedule.  And when he Was home, he did quite a lot of the dinner cooking.  I came home to dinners made, or almost.  That's a long story, too.

If I get around to the pumpkin 'whatever', it should be interesting.

Peace!

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 2:56pm
post #16 of 62

Ivdenver, the phrase, "as easy as pie" is not for nothing, lol.  Making a pumpkin pie using a can of pumpkin, eggs, sugar, spices and evaporated (or condensed, depending upon the chosen recipe) is the quickest, most simple thing you can do in the kitchen.....if you use a Pillsbury roll out pie crust!  Sometimes I make my own crusts, but often use the Pillsbury ones too, 'cause they are good.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 3:04pm
post #17 of 62

I forgot, my other big score in the baking isle was almond paste!  I never knew we had it in our stores.  I want to try a Bakewell Tart.

Ivdenver, I keep forgetting to address your question about Brioche vs Challah breads.  They are very similar enriched breads, meaning they both have eggs, butter, in some cases a little honey.  The shapes are traditionally different, with the Brioche being a big ball with a smaller one on top of it and Challah is generally braided.  To me, the Brioche seems a bit softer and lighter than Challah, but I love both of them.  A Brioche dough would make a good base for a sweet bread.

One of these days, you should watch a video and give braiding a six strain or eight strain loaf a try.  It really is fun, but soooo easy to get confused, for me anyway!

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 62

This was my first Challah loaf.  (This is me with no makeup, hair uncombed, in raggedy sweats, lol)

Yeast Shortage!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 62

For my easter bread I use cake yeast... there was plenty of that in the dairy department... but the average person hording the yeast doesn't know how to use live yeast... so all good for me... I like the live stuff better anyhow...

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 7:58pm
post #20 of 62

I've never concerned myself with what the Chef is dressed like.  Just happy to have someone create something wonderful to eat.  It looks fabulous !! Well Done.

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 4 hours ago

This was my first Challah loaf.  (This is me with no makeup, hair uncombed, in raggedy sweats, lol

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 10:35pm
post #21 of 62

Thank you, MBalaska!  This was my first time making Challah and my first time eating it.  My husband, my neighbors and I all loved it.  I've made many loaves since, but only half this size, lol.

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 10:51pm
post #22 of 62

Oh, Wow, Sandra!  That's beautiful!

Yep, you're getting my juices flowing to try to do that.  I could make a smaller one, couldn't I?  Just make smaller strands?  It makes sense in my head.  lol

Yeah I'll be looking at those breads as a possibility.    Something else I saw in another 'foodie newsletter' I got.  It's Starter-less Sourdough that uses greek yogurt and sour cream.  I think you make a kind of starter with those to sit out for several hours.  And then it's added to the rest of the ingredients, and go from there.  I picked up the yogurt this afternoon.   (I gave our Bulk store another shot today, for yeast.....not yet!)   So, if I get in the mood, I at least have the major ingredients....except  the yeast.  lol

One of these days I Will make that pumpkin pie.  I have all those ingredients.  And a frozen, already-in-the-pan crust.  And BTW.....do I blind bake that first?  Or would it go in raw...with the filling in it.

Talk to you later......you lil bread maker, you!   lol

Peace!

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 11:02pm
post #23 of 62

Sandra....

I think you're adorable!  And compared to me, you look like you're going out for a night at the Opera!    And from the little I can see of your kitchen, I'm coming to live with you!  For me to kneed or roll out dough...I have to get out the bread board I bought Many years ago to make my famous 'I-wonder-if-I could -do-that' French bread.  On the hottest day of the summer, no less....107 degrees.  And this dummy is in the hot kitchen fooling around.  The bread turned out okay.  My roommate loved it.  And it should have been fabulous.  The final cost to make that loaf of bread.....about $70.  That includes the bread board and also a French rolling pin.  lololol

My back is hurting just thinking about that day.  And yet, I still want to get into the kitchen and Make something!    Oh while at that store, I picked up more oranges, and then bananas.  I felt like covering my bases.  lol

Later, Gator!

Peace!

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 2:56am
post #24 of 62

Hi Christie,

It is not necessary to blind bake the crust for pumpkin pie, but if you are using a frozen pie curst, it should be completely thawed before you put the filling in the pan.  I have blind baked the crust for a few minutes, too, just for added assurance.  You mentioned recipes, just use the Libby recipe on the can of pumpkin or if you prefer the recipe using sweetened condensed milk, the recipe is on the can of Eagle Brand.  They are both great recipes.

Absolutely your challah bread does not have to be that big.  I made one loaf from the whole recipe, but have since then divided it into two loaves and even three.  Much more managable, but not nearly as awesome to behold, lol.

That is not my kitchen.  When I got ready to put the risen bread in the (brand new) oven, it would not let me set the temperature.  In a panic, I called my neighbor and she let me use her oven.  It was so funny because she had the knife ready to cut the bread before it was finished baking.  BTW, I've lost 35 pounds since that picture was taken, finally back to my fighting weight!

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 3:08am
post #25 of 62

Christie, make you some sourdough starter and in seven or eight days, you will not need yeast!

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

lvdenver Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 6:26am
post #26 of 62

Hey Sandra....

Thanks for all the tips and info on pumpkin pie.  I may just tackle it yet!  I love that your neighbor let you use her oven, even though she almost got to it before you did!   And just where in the world did you lose that much weight from??  I think you're kidding us.

Making a starter.  I haven't read the King Arthur article, but am sure it's got some very useful information.  I tried making a starter seceral years back.  I got confused while working with it.  I think I got one decent loaf, but then gave up.

The biggest reason that I want to make sourdough is for my dear friend.  She has some really bad digestion problems and can't eat hardly anything but chicken breast, egg white omelets, and plain sandwiches on sourdough breads.  I finally figured out that it was the bacteria in sourdough that helps with the bacterias in her gut.  I want to make some for Her.  So that she can sample some of my baked goods.  I'll get there...one of these days..

Right now I just have too many irons in my fire!  Like sewing, baking, crocheting, growing onions on my bedroom windowsill, and today...made Chinese food...Egg foo Young and chicken friend rice.  That was a good 4-5 hours of my day.  But a coupe neighbors were happy, again!  I can feel my body screaming for sleep!

On that note....I will say goodnight, and see ya tomorrow!

Peace!

I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.  Inside or outside....I'll find something to keep me busy.  

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 11:57am
post #27 of 62

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 2:10pm
post #28 of 62

Making and using sourdough starter is easy-peasy, just requires water, flour and patience (and the greatest of these is patience).  

I lost most of the weight from my butt and thighs, lol!

lvdenver Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 6:36pm
post #29 of 62

Sandra...…

Thanks again for the encouragement.  I have So many questions about keeping a starter going.  So let's say I gave it a try....

#1  When you feed it, and it says to discard part of it, half I think, WHAT do you do with that Discard (if you don't immediately put it in a recipe)?  Like, if I have a 1/2 cup of discarded starter......do you throw it in the trash, or down the sink (which I shudder to even think about), and since I have no neighbors to share it with.

#2  And at the daily feeding....How Much of the starter should I be having left to sit?  Is it a 1/2 cup each day or 12 hours?

I had nightmares last time I tried to do this..and Had jars of starter all over the place.  Not to mention the house smelling like yeast.  Not bread, yeast.  It drove my roommate Crazy!  And I remember going to the bulk store to get a 20lb bag of flour.  I obviously did something wrong.

#3  And besides Sourdough bread, what else can I make?  I don't have a waffle iron.

Am I a lost cause?  lol  (But not really lol'ing)

Peace!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 62

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%