Yeast Shortage!

Decorating By lvdenver Updated 13 May 2020 , 10:43pm by doz

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 5:00pm
post #31 of 62

Ivdenver, you just follow the directions given on the KAF sight.  When you feed it, you discard the left over mixture and definitely do not put it down the sink! I live in the forest, so I sometimes dump mine in the woods, but I most of the time put it in some container (like a cat treats box) that is in the trash, just to keep it from making a mess.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 5:01pm
post #32 of 62

I forgot, once your starter is active and ready to use, there are many reciped for which the unfed, discard sourdough can be used.  Also on KAF site.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 6:57pm
post #33 of 62

Here is a good tutorial on making sourdough starter.  Should answer all your questions.

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 7:47pm
post #34 of 62

Oh Sandra.....

I feel bad that you're working so hard to tutor me in 'Sourdough'.  I really appreciate all of your input.  I'm getting a bit closer to trying some of it, but I fear I actually did injure my back a lil more than just making it sore the other day while searching for yeast.  Six stores, in and out and up and down aisles, was just too much.  I haven't been able to do as much in the kitchen as I Want to.  And it's really frustrating.  Hence, all the browsing of ideas and recipes I've been doing.  And that, OMG, is taking up a lot of time!  lol

I'm just blabbering now...lol  I just want to thank you for all of it!

Talk to you soon!

Peace! 

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 10:24pm
post #35 of 62

Haha, don't worry about it!  I just want you to have the resources, if you decide to give it a try.  Certainly don't feel like I am pushing you into something you don't really care to do.  I hope your poor back feels better quickly!

lvdenver Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 6:39pm
post #36 of 62

OH, no, no, Sandra...I don't feel like you're pushing me into anything at all.  I just meant that I didn't want you to take time away from what You want to do in order to answer my questions.

It's All Good!

Peace!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Apr 2020 , 8:56pm
post #37 of 62

Somehow I missed this discussion. I make all kinds of “loafs”....pumpkin, apple, lemon, banana and zucchini. And soup...oh Christie I live for homemade soup!!! When I was growing up, my Mom saved leftovers from weekly meals. Handfuls of veg, meat, and we would have throw together soup on Saturday night. With sandwiches, we were all set. I’ve made every kind of soup imaginable. I’ve always used a pressure cooker for over 40 years. So when the instapot came out, I got one right away. It has my soup making soooo much easier. And chicken stock.....Whoa Mama. In 55 minutes I can get 3 full jars of stock from a medium sized turkey/chicken carcass. Speaking of yeast, I saw a recipe on my google feed. A great idea. Big batch dough that can be used for bread, rolls, pizza dough etc. Calls for 7 + cups of flour. But you can half the recipe.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/04/19/one-no-knead-dough-will-give-you-focaccia-pizza-and-cinnamon-rolls-for-days/?outputType=amp

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 3:48am
post #38 of 62

I recently saw that too, June.  I don't know if it is the same, but a long time ago, I used a dough that you mixed and kept in the fridge to use when you wanted bread.  It kept about 10 days, as best I remember.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 12:26pm
post #39 of 62

Bump

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 3 May 2020 , 11:19pm
post #40 of 62

Today I made a yeast based coffee cake... it is sooooooooo good... Then again, I pretty much love anything with a crumb topping... lol

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 4 May 2020 , 12:55am
post #41 of 62

Indenver, Hello, did you ever find some yeast?

lvdenver Posted 4 May 2020 , 1:24am
post #42 of 62

Hello mahtc2016.....

No, as a matter of fact, I have still never been able to locate any yeast in my area.  I've looked for it the last 3 times I've been out, but no luck.

This week, I made banana bread, and quite a bit of it.  And now I fear our weather has turned from Winter-ish, to Summer in what seems like over night.  And since I don't have even decent A/C in my apartment, I don't know how much more baking I will get to in the near future.  But knowing that if I ever do find some, that it will keep for at least a year, I will snatch it up.

This panic shopping has gone overboard out here.  We are a good what, two months into Stay-at=home-orders, and Still I've been unable to find a package of T.P. at either Walmart or grocery stores near me.  Good thing I was a hoarder before the virus started spreading.

Stay safe everybody!

Peace!

Christie

SandraSmiley Posted 4 May 2020 , 6:18pm
post #43 of 62

Since I had a new, one pound package of yeast when the shortage hit, I have not needed to buy.  I have not checked lately to see if it is back in the stores.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2020 , 6:34pm
post #44 of 62

I use yeast so infrequently I didn’t think to cl the store the last couple times I’ve gone I saw/read/heard something somewhere about the shortage & they don’t think it will be cleaned up for at least 6 months to a yr! Yesterday I made one ea mini & lg chunky apple bread then tried making my own recipe for lemon blueberry bread/cake Didn’t turnout to well —

jchuck Posted 4 May 2020 , 8:00pm
post #45 of 62

It’s been spotty getting yeast here. Not all the grocery stores have it all the time. We went to Costco a couple of days ago, and I didn’t even think to look for  yeast. Haven’t had the desire to make bread. Especially now that the weather is warming up. 

lvdenver Posted 4 May 2020 , 8:52pm
post #46 of 62

I'm with you ladies, june and lynne...…

and Sandra....Don't brag!  lololol

I think pretty much the only reason I want some is for more cinnamon rolls.....and maybe pizza dough.  But the dough, when they have it, is affordable, even for me.  It's worth the money to not have to dirty the kitchen!  But I 'would' like to venture more into the realm of yeast breads.

I really hope that what you heard, about supplies not being replenished for maybe up to a Year, is not true!  I Just don't have it I me to grow my own sourdough starter.

Love y'all!

Peace!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 May 2020 , 9:43pm
post #47 of 62

Haha, Christie, speaking of bragging, I am a lot more proud of my two different varieties of ripe sourdough starter, but I am glad I had plenty of yeast.

jchuck Posted 4 May 2020 , 9:54pm
post #48 of 62

I have yeast, but I’m cutting back, starting this week. Warm weather is here, and soon I’ll want to get into my capris and shorts. And I have to stop baking and stuffing my face!!!!!!  Ha Ha...

lvdenver Posted 5 May 2020 , 2:10am
post #49 of 62

Funny girl, Sandra!

But I  must say...I am jealous that you have them and that they are healthy.  I have such wonderful memories of my grandmother making sourdough waffles when I, my 2 sisters, and 3 cousins (also female) would go to visit, and stay with her and, and grandfather.  Sometimes it was for full weeks!  It was G & G, and all 6 of us girls, in a 2-bedroom apartment!  How we all fit...still quite amazes me.  But Man!  I remember those waffles!  And her jar of Starter, Always on the counter.  I was about 6-7 years old back then, and was the youngest.  2-3 years later, my Mom's sister-in-law, not the aunt that wants me to come visit, had a set of 3 girls....making the whole lot of us, 9 girls.....NINE Girls!  There never were any boys in the family.  Yep....Those Waffles!!!   Yumm!!! 

June...I'm with you.  I'm kind of upset that the weather had changed.  I was actually getting into a good groove of 'Creating' in the kitchen.  But with 85-90 degrees all this week, I don't think there will be too much of that going on.  Maybe if I had Central A/C I could.  But definitely not with only a Window unit.  And not even a good one at that.  Last year, I started taking a thermometer into my bedroom (just to see if I was exaggerating how hot it got in there) and one night, at Midnight, it was 94....and that was next to the Open window!

Stay safe, all.   And stay Cool!

Peace!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 8 May 2020 , 7:44pm
post #50 of 62

I have been able to get instant yeast but it is a lot of yeast. Also it is my first time using instant 

SandraSmiley Posted 8 May 2020 , 9:06pm
post #51 of 62

Instant yeast is great.  You do not have to bloom it, just add into your dry ingredients.

jchuck Posted 12 May 2020 , 1:53pm
post #52 of 62

Sandra...I have never, ever just thrown my yeast into a recipe without blooming it. Know you can, but always paranoid yeast won’t work!!! I’d rather take 10 minutes and be sure.

SandraSmiley Posted 12 May 2020 , 1:58pm
post #53 of 62

I love instant yeast and the only time I bloom it is if I have a package which is out of date about which I feel insecure.  I do always keep it in the refrigerator, so I don't recall ever having a batch that didn't work.

jchuck Posted 12 May 2020 , 2:03pm
post #54 of 62

I also keep mine refrigerated. I guess it’s because I had a couple of epic failures. So I want to be absolutely sure. It was probably because my liquid was too hot, which destroyed the yeast. That was years and years ago. Guess I’m gonna have to be brave, and give it a shot!!!!  

SandraSmiley Posted 12 May 2020 , 3:13pm
post #55 of 62

Just do it however it makes you feel comfortable, June.  Nothing wrong with blooming the yeast every time.  I am a bit lazy.

lvdenver Posted 12 May 2020 , 4:55pm
post #56 of 62

Hi Sandra, june, and anybody else who might be able to help me...

I have some 'Active Dry Yeast' that I want to use....(the same I had last time) and need to be told again.

Do I Bloom the yeast in warm water, and THEN add to rest of wet ingrdients, and some of the flour, and go for the rest/rise in the bowl.  Then when risen, roll out, put on filling, roll it up, cut, then into Baking dish to let rise before baking...then Bake?

Or would this be the kind I can just throw into my dry ingredients, and go the way of Mix dry...mix wet...combine both to form soft ball...let rise in bowl...then roll out, fill, roll Up, slice...place into baking dish to let rise....and then finally bake?

I get so confused with all the different types of the yeast..Active...Active/Dry...Double acting(?)...Fresh...??????

The weather finally broke today, and I should be able to make one batch of something today....and it'll either be Cinnamon, or Orange rolls again.

Thanks all for your insights on this.

Have a great day

Peace!

Christie

jchuck Posted 12 May 2020 , 7:23pm
post #57 of 62

Christie You bloom your yeast in a cup of warm water, with a teaspoon of sugar for 10 minutes until bubbly and frothy. Water that feels slightly warm on the back of your wrist. Reduce the amount of water in your recipe by one cup. Mix all dry ingredients as per your recipe. Add your cup of bloomed yeast with the rest of liquid required in recipe. Eggs are included in liquids. Mix until a dough ball is formed, place dough  in a greased bowl,  cover bowl lightly with greased paper. Let rise until double in bulk. Then form your buns, let rise until double, and bake.

Hope that clears things up. ❤️

June

lvdenver Posted 12 May 2020 , 9:29pm
post #58 of 62

Thank you, June!    

I think I finally get it now.

Do I have to Knead Cinnamon roll dough?  And if so, at which step do I do it?  Or is it, Rise in the bowl, then Plop the dough  out onto the board with a little flour, and roll it out to the size I want?

I'm so confused on this because #1  My recipe is from 2013, and I think I may not have written it down correctly, and #2  I always feel that any time I use yeast, that I HAVE to knead the dough at some point...and this recipe doesn't say that.  Is kneading only for Bread?

Geez.....I wish my mother had baked when I was growing up.

Did I tell you guys that I am going to go visit my Aunt and stay for a few days?  She initiated the whole thing,  It's my Mom's sister and I think she's about 83-84 years old.  She came by for a visit yesterday, to my horror she saw the house, but made me not even care.  That was our 'Ice breaker' to get me over some of my hang-ups.  she was here for 2 1/2 hours, and I had a Fabulous time.  I've come to realize that until she started checking in on me from time to time since both my Mom and my sister have passed, I know Nothing about her!  Sure, our phone conversations have been great, but this is different.  She's made me feel something I haven't felt in a Long time.....That somebody in my family Cares about me.  I can't  wait for our visit.

Well, I guess I'm off to the kitchen to star some new rolls.

I look forward to hearing from you....all of you here on CC.

Peace!

Christie

jchuck Posted 12 May 2020 , 9:50pm
post #59 of 62

Sorry Christie

I forgot the kneading step. Usually it’s stated in the recipe. For cinnamon rolls I had just enough flour so my mixmaster can really beat the sloppy dough. Then you don’t have to knead so much. I switch to my dough hook and add rest of the flour. Knead for 3-5 minutes. Until the dough comes away from the sides and forms a ball. Then I plop it into the greased bowl to rise. Punch down, form your rolls, let rise again, shorter time. 45-50 minutes. Then bake. Hope that’s clear.

I didn’t realize you lost both your Mom & sister. So very sorry. I’m glad you’ve developed a relationship with your Aunt. And especially that you feel “like family”.

Blessings  

June

lvdenver Posted 12 May 2020 , 10:40pm
post #60 of 62

Hi June...

I'm so glad I came back here when I did right now.  I'm just at the point of switching to the dough hook and let it knead.  And, hopefully, I can take it frmo here.  But don't hold your breath.

Thank you for the kind words about Mom and sister  Yeah, it was pretty tough.  Lost Mom in Aug. 2017, and sister in Jan 2018.  They are both very strong wounds, taking lots of time to heal.  And Aunt Lynette is filling a void.

Well, back to the kitchen....I'll try to report later.  If not tonight, then for sure tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Stay Safe!

Peace!

Christie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%