Hoarding Tp

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 14 Apr 2020 , 12:13pm by jchuck

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 4:52pm
post #31 of 81

I have two different kinds of sourdough starter in the fridge, fed yesterday.... big smile!  I am thinking about make whole rye bread today.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 5:05pm
post #32 of 81

In Alaska we had a huge house with 2 large windowless cool, dry storage areas down stairs.  I kept at least a years worth of food for us, & my extended family.  I knew that they would be coming to me for supplies, so I spent my money to ensure that they would also be safe & have the basics when needed.  We were very isolated out there in Alaska. Very!  Every few years I had to trash the short term perishable items like, dried eggs, butter powder, peanut butter powder & buy fresh replacements.  Never once needed them. Not once. 

Moved to Florida.  Didn't think it would ever be necessary to that degree.  When this happened it was an shocking eye opener to see people emptying the stores of basic goods.  Morons buying up truckloads of stuff for themselves.  My thought was that here in the continental United States there are trains connecting all the states, plenty of airplanes to fly goods everywhere, more ports than you can shake a stick at............... therefore there should be plenty of supplies available here in Florida.

Didn't account for the tens of millions, & hundreds of millions of people panicking & grabbing everything in sight ......... just because they can.  That's my own fault for not seeing that reality.  As the prepper say.... "It's better to be 1 year early, than 1 day late."    

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice SHAME ON ME.   Also I'm pretty well convinced that a lot of the food that's being hoarded right now will end up in the public dumpsters.  Most people don't ever cook at home, & hardly anyone bakes.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 5:18pm
post #33 of 81

Glad you posted that article MBalaska. Thanks. Funnily enough, I found a site, right here in my own backyard, in Ontario where I could buy bulk organic flour, delivered. Hubby and I hemmed and hawed about buying a 25/50 lb bag. But we decided since spring was coming, we wouldn’t bother. I don’t bake or make breads in the spring/summer months as much as fall / winter.I’m seriously now considering phoning the 2 places I found to see if it’s possible to get a supply of both flour and yeasts.

Sandra, with a growing family, buying in bulk was a real money and time saver. And I/ we really, really, REALLY miss going out to restaurants. That was our fun thing to do.

And I think kakeladi/lynne’s daughter is obviously stressed about this whole virus situation, so she wants her Mom to be safe. Normal. I’m getting the same from my kids. Especially about venturing out to the grocery store. Yikes, daughter really laid in on me about that one!!

jchuck Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 5:23pm
post #34 of 81

Very well spoken MBalaska!!!! That’s exactly what I said to Sandra and several of my decorating friends. That probably 75-95%;of the food bought in hoarding will,end up in the landfill!!!!  :o(

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 5:25pm
post #35 of 81

I haven't seen any yeast in the grocery stores for weeks!  I have AP flour, GF flour and rice flour.  One of my sisters has celiac , a very good friend has celiac and my sister-in-law is gluten intolerant.  So I've used rice flour in place of AP flour for a lot of cooking.  If you've ever used Wondra flour (which is a finer ground wheat flour), rice flour is the same consistency.  And in a recipe that calls for a tablespoon or two of AP flour, I've swapped in the rice flour with no problem or change in taste.  Of course if you need the gluten for a rise, rice flour alone doesn't do it! But I use rice flour in coconut macaroons exclusively and they are really good. And if you want a fried food to be more like a tempura I use rice flour and and egg/seltzer dredges.   

On another note - the Amazon overcharge - I hope you do report it.  I reported $25 handsoap refill at Staples *usual price around $5) a few weeks back to a NYS price gouging hotline.  Grrrr

MBalaska Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 5:33pm
post #36 of 81

https://oureverydaylife.com/use-xanthan-gum-baking-37382.html     Xanthan gum is something you could look into, research for your special baking.

Quote by @theresaf on 4 minutes ago

............ Of course if you need the gluten for a rise, rice flour alone doesn't do it!............

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 6:15pm
post #37 of 81

MBalaska, it sounds to me like you lived in heaven on earth in Alaska.  While everyone else always dreamed of going to Hawaii, I've always dreamed of going to Alaska and taking a float plane trip into the wilderness and camping.

theresaf Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 6:21pm
post #38 of 81

Thanks @MBAlaska  I have used xanthan gum too!  When available I love King Arthur gluten free flour and Bobs Red Mill gluten free flour - they are a straight swap out for regular AP flour.  Sometimes I get a stickier dough and add a little more baking powder to my recipe and I refrigerate those doughs more than I do a gluten-full recipe.   

And I'm sorry the move to Florida/mainland was such a rude awakening for you in terms of people's behavior.  I guess that part a lot of us are already accustomed to!

The only things I am currently low on are lettuce, tomatoes and berries.  Otherwise I'm still good!  The biggest problem is I am really not used to planning a lunch and a dinner for my husband and I every day.  We rarely had lunch together in the "old days" - we have 2 offices and we are in separate places during the day - and dinner was figured out on the fly each day (the benefit of no kids).  Now before I went to bed last night I was ... hmmm what has to come out of the freezer! And what's in the refrigerator that we need to eat first!  

MBalaska Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 6:26pm
post #39 of 81

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 5 minutes ago

MBalaska, it sounds to me like you lived in heaven on earth in Alaska.  ( only when you're YOUNG!!)

While everyone else always dreamed of going to Hawaii, I've always dreamed of going to Alaska and taking a float plane trip into the wilderness and camping.    (Do it! just put it on your calendar and do it)

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 6:33pm
post #40 of 81

MBalaska, I know it is very challenging and probably couldn't do it at my age, but oh how I would have loved it when I was young!  Unfortunately, with 29 rescue kitties, we can't go anywhere except for day trips.  We thought we were going to travel when we retired, but had an explosion of abandoned cats that needed a home, so we are cat farmers instead.  I am not complaining, it was our choice.

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 6:40pm
post #41 of 81

Theresaf, in a way, we are lucky to live in the fat belt, lol.  We have had no problem whatsoever finding fresh produce, which is what we mostly live on.  We also eat a lot of fish and it has been readily available, too.  But there is not a snack cake, bag of chips, box of cereal, or any other ready-to-eat dish to be found!

theresaf Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 7:05pm
post #42 of 81

The fat belt - I think I live there now !  I just haven't gone to the store so I don't know what's there. There had been a lot of fresh vegs - I'd just rather use what I have and not go out to the store if I don't have to - living on Long Island (8000 confirmed cases) a breath away from the NYC epicenter will do that to a person!  

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 7:18pm
post #43 of 81

We've only made a trip to the store like once every two weeks.  I checked this morning and we've had 7 confirmed cases of the virus in Cheatham County, where we live.  Most people seem to be trying to observe the recommended precautions, too, so maybe it will stay that way.  You are wise to be cautious.  I would not go out the front door if I lived where you do.

theresaf Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 7:46pm
post #44 of 81

Yesterday around 5:00 I took a walk for a few blocks, saw about 10 people in total, all on the other side of the street from me, getting some fresh air too.  The entrance to one of the parks that leads to the bay was gated and locked but I took this picture through the gate.... can't wait to get on the other side of that soon!  

Hoarding Tp

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 7:52pm
post #45 of 81

Several times a day a Chart is on tv showing the 6-8 counties that surround me — farthest distance about 75 miles from me. The total confirmed cases is like 60 w/1 death & maybe 5 recoveries With those #s I certainly am not in a “hot spot”! I want to go to the bank but of course it can Wait even as much as a week maybe 2

MBalaska Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 8:02pm
post #46 of 81

if you've never learned about super storage, the gamma lid buckets are superb.  They even have something nice for your pets !  Stackable, airtight, easy access for your dry pet foods.  

https://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-Stackable-Airtight-Container/dp/B0002H3S5U/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=gamma+seal&qid=1585338936&sr=8-7

Hang in there @kakeladi.  You can do this 

MBalaska Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 8:12pm
post #47 of 81

oh snap, I like this one also. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJOOI/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Don't know why I couldn't use it for food storage.  I actually have some of the gamma lids on regular buckets out in the shed.  My big giant bags of fertilizer, bug killer & such kept getting damp & clumped together. Damn the Florida humidity.  Those screw top gamma lids have worked perfectly for us.  Lot's of people store food for themselves, but forget the pets.  I'll bet the stores have been running low lately. 

jchuck Posted 27 Mar 2020 , 8:33pm
post #48 of 81

Well MBalaska real wilderness living is great while you’re young. Like camping in in the woods , it’s great when you’re young. But .... ya know. And I’ve certainly done my share of camping. 

I read a post on my community fb page that there are two local bakeries that are really suffering. Because I do a lot of my own baking, I haven’t frequented very often. I do know they make great bread, rolls and pastries. Also one of them has a deli counter for luncheon meat. They sell the nitrate free luncheon meat, which is the only kind I can eat. The one bakery, just got taken over about 3 months ago by new young owners. A older Italian couple ran it for years. I’m guessing the young couple are mortgaged and in debt to the hilt!!! So we’ve decided to get our bread and other things from these two bakeries. Help out local businesses. They are taking your order on the phone, you pay with credit card. Then you pick up your order outside there front door.

And theresaf there’s been a LOT of angry posts on my community fb page about people not keeping the rules about social distancing and congregating in groups. I saw a bunch of teenage boys on Tuesday. A older man with his grandson yesterday on the playground equipment. All playgrounds and parks are closed. So our mayor issued a message that we are to call 311 and report. Or our non emergency police number. Let the authorities deal with it. Apparently the fine can run from $500-$5000 and up. And 3 months in jail. I’m guessing once the police show up, it will scare the pants off some of these people. We’ve had a spike of cases here close to our area. Two people died in the last couple of days. So people not complying are not going to be tolerated.

On a happier note  :o)  I just baking some bread and I’ve bake banana muffins for my kids. Gonna do a porch drop in about an hour. A surprise for them!!

MBalaska Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 3:03pm
post #49 of 81

just something that I noticed today, the laser thermometers that people are using to check their forehead temperatures.  The "medical" ones sell for about $100.  The one that I bought from the tool section last year cost me $15.  I don't really see any difference.

Except for the extreme cost. 

jchuck Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 11:24pm
post #50 of 81

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 5:57pm
post #51 of 81

bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:02pm
post #52 of 81

Bump

kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 3:43pm
post #53 of 81

Bump

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 7 Apr 2020 , 2:55pm
post #54 of 81

Bu-bu-bump!

kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2020 , 10:26pm
post #56 of 81

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 1:53pm
post #57 of 81

I baked seven loaves of sourdough bread day before yesterday and have started distributing it to my neighbors.  Mike and I eat almost exclusively whole grain, sourdough breads.  Nair shall a Bunny Bread enter our home, lol!

theresaf Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 1:57pm
post #58 of 81

Wow Sandra that fantastic!  I wish I was your neighbor even if there's no bunny bread!  I am sure your neighbors are sooo appreciative!

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 12:05am
post #59 of 81

Yes, theresaf, they do love to see the bread coming their way, even more than the cakes, lol.

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 3:28am
post #60 of 81

Drawing a blank here...…

What's Bunny Bread?

C-

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%