Would You Like To Work For This Company??

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 3:36pm by SandraSmiley

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2020 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 45

This a.m. I woke to find a post on the internet that my job has been eliminated!  NOTHING from the company at all in any way, shape, or notice.   Well, back to having to pinch pennies big time.  

44 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2020 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 45

WHAT?!  I've never heard of such a thing.  I am so sorry, Lynne.  What a shame you cannot do occasional cakes, cupcakes, or cookies.  Something you love and would help bring in some money.

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 12:58am
post #3 of 45

Wow,  what a cowardly, rotten thing to do.  So sorry to hear.  Best to you, keep your chin up.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 3:31am
post #4 of 45

Oh my goodness Lynne. I’m so sorry, that really is low. I was terminated unjustly years ago. Awful experience, but at least it was done face to face. I pray you will find something suitable soon.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 45

So sorry for you Lynne. They are so rude! I wish you good luck, I know this is a tough time for you. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 45

Oh my goodness-that’s terrible!  Any plans to confront them or discuss their rash decision?

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 45

It’s been some 26 hrs since I found the post that said the work I did would no longer be done There have been numerous stories on the internet regarding this development but as of this minute I have not been contacted by anyone from my company informing me Since I had not been scheduled to work for the last 10-12 days I had not heard anything about what was going on from either company involved in the work I did (hired for a job inside a large store but not actually working for the store) I don’t know what to do if anything It’s related to the Coronavirus And I just learned someone a few miles from here just tested positive for the virus Up to now I have not been very concerned as we are/were not in/near a hot spot Sooo many things to consider I’m certainly not the only one—most of my co-workers are in their 70 &80s so it hits us hard

jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 45

After re-reading your post Lynne, was wondering, do you not have a wrongful dismissal where you live??? Here in Canada, you have to have good solid reasons for being unceremoniously let go. A good friend got ushered out of her office, with security guard, after 29 years of employment. Well, she wasn’t taking that lying down. She went into Human Resources, took in a former Human Resources friend who knew all about what you can and cannot do. My friend didn’t get her job back, but when she threatened court action, there was a renegotiated package. A lot more money than originally given. Doesn’t hurt to look into.

jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 45

Lynne, were you a sample person at Costco??  Reason I’m asking is that Costco has a pretty good track record for employment. I do know that, as you say, you’re not actually employed by Costco, but another company that provides the services for Costco. Do you know any of your colleagues emails/phone numbers?? Wondering if any of you’re colleagues have been let go as well??

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 45

Yes I was/am(?) a demo person @ Costco Been There about 2 1/2 yes Many of my coworkers have worked 10-15 yrs & as I said are in their 70s & 80s It might not hurt them-some were ready to retire soon but my income is less than $700 a month so it really will hurt me The job doubled my income The reports I have read say Costco is offering other jobs in the store but I am on workers disability so am very limited in what I could do CDS was giving me limited time as required by workers comp — that’s one reason I wasn’t scheduled for so long there just wasn’t enough going on to fit me in under the limitations Boy what a mess:(

jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 45

Sorry Lynne

That’s about the amount, or slightly over, that I was making monthly after I retired. Had to be very careful with my $$. I took early retirement at 60. But, unlike you, have a husband with a great government pension, so I wasn’t surviving on my own. Fortunately, at age 65 I got my full Canada pension, and although not a massive increase, enough to be comfortable. By the way, what is CDS?? Assuming it’s something to do with your disability pension? It makes me angry that here in Canada, many, many on disability, thru no fault of there own, barely make enough to live on.  It’s like there being punished  for being born with disability, or a disability caused by work related injury, or accident. 

Laetia Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 45

As you've said Lynne, it might have something to do with the coronacvirus. And if it is, it might not be a permanent cut either... Why dont you call your boss or human ressources departement to have their version of the fact?

jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 45

Agree with Laetia

I just literally saw a post on FB from one of my American friends. Says that Costco is curtailing free samples in some of there stores because of the coronavirus. So if that was the case in your situation, all the company had to do was say so in there email. Not leave you hanging. 

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 6:53pm
post #14 of 45

Maybe this is a good thing after all, but it sure wasn't handled in a very well, one way or another.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 45

Wow that is a terrible way to find out - I'm sorry Lynne! 

What if you hadn't seen the post, would you have called at some point to ask about your schedule?  I wonder if you called now if they would tell you if they thought it was a temporary plan or not. The fear everyone has about this virus is becoming out of control.  Here in NY the shelves are empty of most things, whether it's the supermarket or Costco. I was at StopnShop earlier and a woman proudly told me that what was in her cart now made it that she has 100 rolls of toilet paper at home.  Really? Has it come to that .   Sorry to digress from your topic Lynne!

Theresa

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 45

100 rolls of TP???  WHY??   How long do people think the *might*! be quarantined?   It's totally ridicules how people are panicked. 

CDS stands for Club Demo Services - the company that hired me.  According to my lawyer it should have no affect on my disability case.  The accident happened back in Aug 2019.   Costco is saying that it is just stopping demos 'for the time being' but we all know how that sort of temporary stuff ends up.   I so enjoyed the work -- until I got hurt. 

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 45

I am rather sure it does have to do with the virus...…..some time back we used to give out some of the samples with a toothpick......well someone stepped on one & fell -- then I'm told  -- sued Costco - we had to immediately stop using them.  A couple of Weeks ago there was a story about a demo person in WA yelling at customers to stay away from her & get out of the store because their child was wearing a face mask   I bet that is why they are discontinuing all demos.     As I said.....just learned someone nearby where I live came down w/the virus after being on a cruise:(  This brings it very close to home whereas I was not overly worried because I was not near a 'hot spot'.     Did any of you see the report on CNN last week about drs who have discovered what they feel is a good, relatively cheap, fast way to test for the virus?  All one needs is to have a chest X-ray.  They have discovered how to read the x-ray easily.  Sure sounds like a good way to go.  Wonder why it hasn't been touted more....

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 45

Can't say that I want to work for anyone anywhere ever again.  I've had enough of working for idiots in one lifetime.

hopefully you'll find that when one door closes, another one open up for you.

jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 9:51pm
post #19 of 45

Lynne I don’t think Costco will can the samples. I really enjoy them, and many purchase the products after sampling. It’s a knee jerk reaction to this whole virus stuff.  I’m sure Costco will reinstatement. And toilet paper, geez, can’t figure people out. If I was truly worried, which I’m not, I would be stocking up on canned food and bread. But honestly, you’re quarantined for 10-14 days....it’s not an eternity!!!!!

jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2020 , 10:01pm
post #20 of 45

After reading your post Lynne, does seem like a Costco’s corporate lawyers have probably told them to suspend the sampling. At least until things calm down. Avoid litigation. Still in all, you were owed an explanation. Not read about it on a web post. Enjoy your little rest. I’m sure very soon you will be back in your apron giving out samples. And don’t be worried about being exposed to the coronavirus. As long as you’re healthy, you have nothing to fear. It’s those with serious underlying medical conditions that are most at risk. Many who contact the virus, the symptoms are so mild, it’s hardly noticeable. That is what several Canadians who contracted the virus on a cruise ship have said. All finished there quarantine. 

jchuck Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 12:46am
post #21 of 45

Well kakeladi/Lynne We went shopping at Costco this morning. We go every 2 wks. No sample ladies. I asked one of the supervisors about it. She said Costco corporate decided to suspend because of the ongoing Coronavirus. But our Costco, can’t speak for any other in Canada, absorbed the sample ladies into their employ. There doing other jobs until the samples start up again. Pretty impressed with Costco.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 1:19am
post #22 of 45

I am with you, MBalaska, I don't want to work for anyone, anywhere, for any reason!  I spent 47 years working and I ain't gonna do it any more!  People ask me all the time why I don't do cake decorating as a business....because it is WORK!  I do it for FUN!

kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 11:32pm
post #23 of 45

Thought you all would like anupdate :)

I talked to my shift supervisor today.  Plan/thoughts are to resume demos around late April.  In the mean time a few of the approx. 36 CDS employees (in the store I work at)  are doing "dry demos" in the pharmacy &/or being used by Costco to re-fold clothes that customers throw around, restock returned items etc.  With my restrictions I cannot do that type of work so I just have to wait...….     My supervisor also said a friend of hers at church goes to school in Seattle -- just a block from that rest home where almost all the deaths have happened and the friend said it's no where as bad as all the hype is showing in Seattle. 

Oh and jchuck…..I just saw something on the 'net about some woman purchased something like 48 cases of TP not realizing there were 48 rolls in each...got charged something like $3,000   LOL  Can't believe how panicked people are    I am a bit concerned but not near panic -- at least right now :) 

jchuck Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 3:05am
post #24 of 45

Well I’m glad kakeladi/Lynne that Costco has stepped up and is helping the sample people. Unfortunate you can’t participate. But hopefully, only for a little while. The Federal government here is extending UI (unemployment insurance) for working people who need to either quarantine themselves, or there business/school etc has been shut down by the virus. And you’re correct about the “hype”. Let’s face it, the virus is a huge news story. So that’s all you hear. I listen to the pertinent information, then fast forward through the “drama”. Too much news isn’t a good thing. Creates fear and unrest.

June (jchuck)

theresaf Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 6:21pm
post #25 of 45

Glad you got to talk to the shift supervisor Lynne!   I know how much people love the sampling at Costco so it's good to hear that they will be resuming at some point -hopefully April. Maybe you won't be off too long - hoping!!

Jeez if anyone could give a worthwhile estimate on how long this situation can continue that would be amazing.  But they can't - I'm listening to Governor Cuomo of New York right now.  New York is one of hardest hit spots right now and the current discussion is the possibility of cancelling the St. Patrick's Day Parade.  I would imagine people would be wary of taking from a sample at this point and that would incur a lot of waste.  Plus really, you have to consider the risk to the samplers like Lynne.  The last thing you want is getting this freakin virus Lynne bc someone didn't stay home like they were supposed to.  It's a lose-lose situation that was handled super poorly by Costco.

jchuck Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 6:36pm
post #26 of 45

theresaf      I actually saw Governor Cuomo on last nights late news, and my understanding is, the St. Patrick’s Day  parade in NY IS cancelled. I do believe the parade in Boston and Ireland  is cancelled as well. Short term pain (disappointment), for long term gain. I mean with huge crowds comes the possibility of exposure.  Have two friends whose cruises have been delayed/postponed. No one is traveling  anywhere in the world accept in there own cities/towns. Unless you’re in an affected area, then not traveling at all.  The W H O just declared the Coronavirus outbreak officially a Pandemic.

theresaf Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 7:05pm
post #27 of 45

It makes absolutely no sense to hold the St Patricks Day parade but I understood it was still in talks for whatever reason.  Ultimately common sense will win out.  This governor does not hesitate to call people morons when the shoe fits and frankly, some times it fits!  So far I did not hear him call anyone that in the recent news conferences but if you listen he implies it when he refers to just having common sense.  He is a polarizing figure in NYS but I have no reason to dislike him.  And he 's out there every day updating New Yorkers so I respect that!

Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 10:10pm
post #28 of 45

I'm glad you've eard from your manager Lynne and that the situation seems to be temporary for you.

Things are going to be hard lof a lot of people in ghe next few weeks/months...

jchuck Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 10:21pm
post #29 of 45

Well Laetia...I just got an alert on my phone that the government of Italy has asked ALL non essential stores to close. Just pharmacies and food stores/markets are allowed open. Unprecedented!!!

Laetia Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 11:36am
post #30 of 45

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%