Buttercream Pulling

Decorating By Scareesman Updated 30 May 2020 , 1:40am by -K8memphis

Scareesman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scareesman Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 17

Need some help. When ever I use buttercream or shortening with my scraper or a comb I get holes or uneven icing I describe as pulling it’s like the icing starts piling away from the cake. I’ve tried chilling the icing but still don’t get a perfect look. Any suggestions? Thanks! 

16 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2020 , 12:22am
post #2 of 17

Hello   1st off i

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2020 , 12:22am
post #3 of 17

Hello   1st off i

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2020 , 12:31am
post #4 of 17

Hello   1st off i see this is your first post on here so you will not be able to reply to any post for about 30 days If you want to say anything just start a new post referring to this one (or the one you are talking about) in the subjec/title line      Now about your problem w/o the recipe we can only guess   I think the icing is too thick   Sounds like it needs to be creamier  — try adding more fat be it butter or shortening &/or mix it longer on low speed — up to 10 minutes 

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2020 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 17

Bump 

kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2020 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 17

Another bump 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Feb 2020 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 17

Bumpy...bumpy!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2020 , 3:29am
post #8 of 17

bump

SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2020 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 17

I would suggest exactly what kakeladi said, add more shortening to make a softer, creamier frosting.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2020 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 17

also you can increase the ability of the icing to adhere by shaving off the outer edge of the cake 

-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2020 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 17

should have explained -- sometimes the cake sides retain too much oil from the pan being greased so shaving off just a tad there can help

SandraSmiley Posted 28 May 2020 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 17

When I first started cake decorating, I discovered that the hard way, -K8.  I posted on evey site I could find and no one came up with an idea until Goreti suggested perhaps it was the oil in my homemade cake release.  I was very generous with the way I smeared it on.  It made a lot of sense and was the only thing I could think of that could possibly be the culprit.  I stopped using it and stuck with Crisco (in moderation) and flour and have not had the problem since.  I never thought of trimming the sides....duh!  

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2020 , 2:48pm
post #13 of 17

not duh! baking mysteries are so multi faceted -- i don't even grease the sides of the pan so in a perfect world the cake can climb higher --i  just use parchment on the bottom, swirl a knife around the edges when it comes out of the oven, it's already pulling away a bit from the bake -- voila

but if it's a naked cake you gotta grease it...10,000 variables huh

SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2020 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 17

I have been tempted to try the parchment in the bottom only (I use wax paper instead of parchment in the bottom, life long habit) without greasing and flouring the sides, but have been too chicken.  I will put on my big girl panties and try it next time.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2020 , 12:04am
post #15 of 17

it's So much easier too -- hope you love it

SandraSmiley Posted 30 May 2020 , 12:57am
post #16 of 17

I hope so too!  It seems like it takes me as long to prepare my pans as it does to make the cake.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2020 , 1:40am
post #17 of 17

true that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%