Mermaid Tail Cake

Decorating By louglou Updated 13 Feb 2020 , 3:21am by SandraSmiley

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 5 Feb 2020 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 12

I’m making a mermaid cake. I’d like to do a carved mermaid tail cake like these. 

What would be the best way to create a thin strong tail? I like the ones that look wavy and delicate rather than flat but I’m really not sure how to achieve it on a big scale and without it snapping. It will have to be transported for up to an hour by car. Any ideas please?

Mermaid Tail Cake

11 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Feb 2020 , 3:54am
post #2 of 12

You could make it from gum paste or, even better, pastillage and let it dry thoroughly.  Transport separately and apply the tail at the venue.

OR

My first thought was to make it from gelatin.  You would make the outline with wire and pour gelatin on the inside touching the wires.  Once it sets up but not completely dry, shape it around something like a broom handle to the shape you like and let it dry completely.  Once dry, you can color it with petal or luster dusts.  These wings are made with a wire frame and gelatin.

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Feb 2020 , 3:57am
post #3 of 12

oops....

Mermaid Tail Cake

louglou Posted 6 Feb 2020 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 12

That’s stunning Sandra! 

I was wondering about wafer paper with the liquid that makes it flexible. I think it’s called flexique but I’ve never used it.

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Feb 2020 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 12

I've made the edible fabric by painting a gel based mix onto wafer paper.  It is easy, but the drawback for the mermaid tail is that it doesn't get firm.  It stays soft and flexible like a heavy cloth.  If you want to try it, I will see if I can find the recipe.Mermaid Tail Cake

louglou Posted 6 Feb 2020 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 12

That looks lovely but I didn’t realise that it stays flexible. I need something that is firm. Do you think wafer paper would work just as it is? 

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Feb 2020 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 12

Personally,  I hate the edible fabric!  It feels slimy, even though it is not, and cold and it hard to attach to anything else.  I am not good with wafer paper.  Perhaps mine is not good quality because it breaks very easily.  It does help to spray it with airbrush color.

I thought of the gelatin, line the frog fairy's wings, because it gets hard, but is as tough as nails, not brittle or fragile at all.  It is also very easy and probably could be done even without a wire frame.  Draw the shape you want on a piece of parchment paper, turn it over and paint inside the outline with the gel mixture and let it dry.  Once it is completely dried, peel away the parchment paper.  The edges can be trimmed with scissors, but it is not easy, lol!  The stuff is tough!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 12

Bump 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2020 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 12

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Feb 2020 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 12

BUUUUUUMP!

louglou Posted 12 Feb 2020 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the bumps!

I’ve not quite decided how to make the tail bit, but am now wondering about the structure of the cake. I want a layer at the bottom to look like the sea and then the body on top. It only needs to feed 25 so I was thinking of a 7” round (maybe 2-3” high) cake at the bottom, then the tail made of 6, 5, 4 and 3” round layers each up to 2” in height. What support would that need? If I do a support all the way through and dowels in the bottom half there won’t be much room left for cake. Should I make it shorter and fatter?

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2020 , 3:21am
post #12 of 12

Because your tail is larger at the bottom than at the top, I don't think you will need a central support, but probably need to put a cake board between the bottom two layers and the top two layers with a few straws or dowels in the bottom two layers to support the top two.....and dowels in the "ocean" cake to support the whole tail.  Oh, I am sure you already know, but you need a cake board between the tail and the base cake too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%