Unsatisfied Customer/mortified Baker.

Decorating By bnm_okca Updated 27 Jan 2020 , 4:28pm by SandraSmiley

bnm_okca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnm_okca Posted 25 Jan 2020 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hi y’all.  I’m new to posting here, but I’ve visiting posts on here for a while.  Let me just say, y’all are great!  

I’m a home baker, not a professional by any means.  I kinda just do cakes for friends and family, and occasionally someone I don’t know if they were referred by a friend or family member.  So I might do a cake or two a month.  Anyhow, I just dropped off the cake pictured and the customer said it wasn’t anywhere near the color scheme they were expecting.  The picture she showed me of what she wanted looked like a grey to me, which mine turned out darker, and I definitely admit that, but she said she was looking for a rose gold.  I didn’t get rose gold out of our initial conversation at all but she said she thought she was very clear.  I charged her $80 for the cake originally, but ended up giving it to her for free.  I drive home mortified because she was disappointed and it was for her daughter’s 16th birthday.  I feel like I ruined the party, at terrified she’s going to make a negative post about it, and just out right feel awful.  It almost makes me want to quit so I don’t even make this mistake for anyone again.  Have any of you ever encountered this type of experience or felt this way about a completed order? I’m really struggling here.  Thanks for your feedback in advance. Unsatisfied Customer/mortified Baker.

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jan 2020 , 3:10am
post #2 of 4

So, so sorry you've had this experience.  People do not realize how personal it is to make cakes like this and how emotionally invested we are in each and every one, so I really understand your feelings.

In the first place, $80 was a steal and your cake is beautiful and well done.  Personally, I feel like a 20% discount would have been plenty.  If she was disappointed enough to accept the cake free, she should have given it back to you.  Try to put it behind you and do not let it ruin your love of baking and decorating.

As to a bad review, who cares?!  You are not trying to make a living selling cakes and all of the people who matter know you make beautiful, delicious cakes and that is all that is important.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2020 , 5:42am
post #3 of 4

I agree w/Sandra it’s a well done beauty   There are some people who will say things like that just to get the baker to drop the price or get it free   Really can’t say if this is one of them   With the beautiful work you are doing get your price up!  & you’re delivering too??  That’s another $15 — 20     Put this behind you & continue to make great cakes:)   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jan 2020 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%