Old Magazines Etc

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 10 Dec 2019 , 5:31pm by kakeladi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2019 , 12:09am
post #1 of 7

Instead of adding to the long post about a new home I thought I’d start a new one Oh yes!!  How I remember mailbox news:)   I had Most if not all of them   Sold them off when I moved into a tiny apt along with most of my equipment:(   One gal bought most of it   Had soooo many books — I’m a BIG book person so had Almost every Wilton one including all  yrbks they published    Yes much info in them is outdated but some of it is being revived again — just like fashions come around   I’m not much of a shopper but last week I saw a couple store windows & noticed the “sack” dress was on all the models:(   That will  probably only last 1 season:)   

6 replies
BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 9 Dec 2019 , 5:53am
post #2 of 7

I'm a book person too. although I don't read as much as I used to. I have a wide, long hallway leading to my bedroom and on one side is a row of bookshelves my husband built from floor to ceiling crammed with all types of books. My husband was a reader too,  technical books, reference books, lots of  paperbacks to novels and of course my cake books. Now I have the computer so sometimes I find myself going there instead of looking thru my books for information.

kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2019 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 7

Yes Betty I think we all turn to the ‘purer more than books now   I wish I could remember the titles/authors of some of those oldie s but goodies I had   I think one was Richard Snyder/25 buttercream flowers—and then he did a 2nd one w/more flowers   A very old book about figure piping (long before Winblecker) & on& on :)   On how I wish I still had at least some of them  I miss looking thru them

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Dec 2019 , 3:25am
post #4 of 7

My house runneth over with books, literally thousands with over 200 cookbooks.  Since I came to cake decorating late in life, I only have three old Wilton books.  kakeladi, I think the old piping books are as valuable today as they were when they were printed.  Nothing is more beautiful than good piping work and, to me anyway, it is the most difficult to master.  I find myself turning more and more to the computer for recipes and it is my own fault.  I have so many cookbooks and recipe cards, it is impossible to wade through them!

kakeladi Posted 10 Dec 2019 , 4:32am
post #5 of 7

Sandra the one piping book I was thinking of is a small book about 6” or8” square & all B&W   It was that old:)   

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 10 Dec 2019 , 5:45am
post #6 of 7

kakeladi  I have a really old buttercream flower book B/W too, it's small & sounds like the one you had. I have a lot of hardback books one by Alan Dunn, Sugar Flowers for All Seasons, it beautiful. Love just looking at the pictures and wishing I could make flowers like his. Some of the others are "Sweet Celebrations" by Sylvia Weinstock, lots of beautiful decorated cakes, Master Class by Toba Garrett, beautiful book but way out of my expertise, and Wedding Cake Book by Dede Wilson. has recipes & cakes. These are just a few of what I have. Lots of Wilton stuff, hardbacks & the magazines. I mentioned earlier about "Mailbox News", It's really fun looking thru those and checking out the cake designs that people sent in from allover. Another I have a lot of is cook books, when my husband & I traveled to England & Scotland or just roaming around the US, guess  what I brought back as a "souvenir", cook books. No wonder my house is so full :)))

kakeladi Posted 10 Dec 2019 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 7

Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%