Does This Happen To You?

Baking By SandraSmiley Updated 7 Nov 2019 , 3:17pm by -K8memphis

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 12:33am
post #1 of 20

I made pavlovas  today, for the first time.  Just look at me!  This is meringue all over my clothes and in my hair!  Do you make a mess like this or is it just me?Does This Happen To You?

19 replies
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 2:48am
post #2 of 20

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 2:55am
post #3 of 20

You look soooo different:)   Don’t remember even hearing of those    Not sure what they are   

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 4:46am
post #4 of 20

I've made several baked meringue kisses, but never had it do that.  Unless if you made them like Italian meringue with the hot sugar going into the egg whites.  I've done that once & had hot sugar all over me and the kitchen.  It burned like the dickens & I never made Italian meringue again.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 11:43am
post #5 of 20

it looks like it was the sneak attack of the mixer bowl blush i kinda learned over the years how to stay fairly clean while working but I ain’t afraid to dig in and get messy if need be — i think food tastes that much better when the cook has laundry to do hahahaha

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 20

Oh my no, no , no! I have made pavlovas and all kinds of meringues a lot...that never happened to me. First, I wear a head covering, and then an apron... but still, never got meringue or sugar all over... how did you manage to create such a messy sugar spa? Still, you look lovely... and at the end did your pavlovas turned out ok?

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 20

Lynne, I look different because I don't have on a drop of makeup, no big smile, and I just lost 33 pounds, which added a LOT of wrinkles and sagging, lol.  I've always said that my fat filled in my wrinkles and the smile stretches them.  Also, I am old!  Check out the hands, if you want to see arthritis.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Kate!  I didn't see anything on me until after the meringues were already in the oven.  I think I did this hugging the mixing bowl and digging out the last little bites to eat!  Explains the hair, for sure.  I know, I know, I am going to die from eating raw egg whites.  By now I am probably immune because I've been doing it all my life.

Regina, I don't recall ever doing this to myself before either, not with meringue.  Flour yes!  Powdered sugar yes!  Cornstarch yes!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 20

too funny!!!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 20

Haha thanks for sharing - I am definitely more of a flour/powdered sugar/cornstarch wearer!  And sometimes I put my reading glasses on while I bake so they also act like goggles when needed ;)

Theresa

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 20

(maybe hold a kitchen towel over the front of the mixer) 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 20

Eating raw egg whites.... oh you naughty girl...Santa will not be coming to your town!

MBalaska Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 20

Does This Happen To You?

Sandra, this is the only tip that I can share.  I'm a MessCat in the kitchen 

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks, MBalaska, but I don't have a problem with exploding mixer ingredients. I use a towel in the same manner you've used plastic wrap.  I think Kate nailed it, I made this enormous mess while greedily cleaning out the mixer bowl (eating the scrapping) after the meringues were in the oven.  Notice where the meringue is on my sweatshirt...all across the front and on both inside arms where I was gripping the bowl, lol.  That's what I get for being a five year old at heart!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 20

hahahahaha you so funny

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 12:03am
post #15 of 20

Oh my gosh Sandra!  You're SO cute!  And congrats on the weight loss!  Yea you!

MBalaska Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 12:07am
post #16 of 20

like a kid caught in the cookie jar !!!

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 12:15am
post #17 of 20

Shamefully, it is the truth, -K8!

Thanks, mrsmac888!  I am 5'3" and at 153 lbs. my doctor said I was overweight (he had the good grace not to say fat!), which I, of course, already knew.  That did it though and encouraged me to stop the pigging out on almonds, raisins, peanut butter, and most anything else I could get my hands on - mostly healthy foods, just way too much of them!  When I went to see him three months later, I weighted 125 lbs. and he was very supportive.  I told him my goal was 120 and he agreed that was OK, but not less.  This is my life long adult weight.  I gained weight when I quit smoking, retired, started decorating cakes as my new hobby and my husbands new hobby was cooking everything else.  We both gained a lot, but are both back down to fighting weight.

Exactly, MBalaska!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 2:51am
post #18 of 20

congratulations to you both — meringue dit dots and all clap

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 3:15pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks, -K8!  We are starting to add small amounts of bread and desserts back into our diets, very limited.  I find that I only need a tiny portion of a dessert to make me happy, but I could eat a whole loaf of bread! It is the hardest to resist.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2019 , 3:17pm
post #20 of 20

me too! for sure 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%