Friday Night Cake Club For 11-01-19

Decorating By Laetia Updated 6 Nov 2019 , 1:12am by SandraSmiley

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 19

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Good saturday morning cakers! Again, sorry for the belated start of FNCC. I was out of electricity since yesterday morning because of wind storm. Power just came back and I am now enjoying a good cup of hot coffee, it never tasted so good! 

Now for the serious things, I've made a little surprise Halloween cake for my coworkers. Lemon cake with raspberry swirls and vanilla smbc (actually I intended to make a white chocolate smbc... and totally forgot to put it in the buttercream. My brain went on when the cake was filled and half frosted. Yay!) I did try the melted marshmallow spider webs I was asking about a few weeks ago. After a first so-so trial, it finally went not so badly. Things I've learned: frosting must be cold (mine was cool at first but it was not enough...) or the hot marshmallow will melt it and pull it away from the cake. If there is a next time, I will definately put the cake on a same size cardboard then elevate it on a cup or something before I put the marshmallow on the cake to be able to have way more vertical or diagonal strings of marshmallow on the cake. It was nearly impossible on my large board. In my opinions, gloves are mandatory, ha! As soon as I had a little to much marhsmallow on my hand, it was nearly impossible to pull nice strings. Huge gummy blobs are easier to create! I had tho change gloves 4 or 5 times I guess. Man this is messy.... but so much fun!

18 replies
Laetia Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 19

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 19

This is such a cute cake, Laetia, and you did a great job with the melted marshmallow.  I've only used it to coat the wire armatures for my models to help the chocolate adhere and I hate the stuff!

Mike and I delivered dessert plates to our four closest neighbors last night.  Each plate contained a mini pumpkin spice bundt cake with praline  frosting and a couple of profiteroles (cream puffs).  They were a hit.

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 19

I like your cake Laetia. Thanks for the hints on working with the "fluff stuff".

Sandra, yours looks yummy too, wish I was a neighbor :))) xx

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 2 Nov 2019 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 19

Those webs look great!

I wish I was Sandra's neighbor, too.  (I knew what profiteroles were from The Great British Bake-off.  sunglasses )

I made these for a Halloween party. It's a dark chocolate cake with raspberry filling. The ganache is dark chocolate and raspberry liqueur. The skull is chocolate. The flowers and leaves are fondant. It was my first time making fondant/gumpaste flowers, I'll definitely be able to do better next time. The cupcakes are vanilla with vanilla buttercream frosting and filling. I let my wife and oldest daughter draw some of the faces.

HfvfTOU.jpg

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 12:10am
post #6 of 19

Nationals won the World Series!! And a BOAT LOAD of customers wanted more baseball cookies. If I never see one again, I’ll be okay. The other cookies this week are dark chocolate with Andes Mint baking bits.

Friday Night Cake Club For 11-01-19Friday Night Cake Club For 11-01-19

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 12:12am
post #7 of 19

Betty, you KNOW I would love to be your neighbor!  I would pester you to death trying to learn to pipe and begging for chocolate cake, lol.  I would be happy to feed you in return!

You are welcome to join the community, too, ThatCakeDude42!  We will have a rolly-polly cake fraternity all our own!  Your cake is beautiful and so are your flowers.  All of you did a great job on the cupcakes.  If you have not tried it already, you should give Nicholas Lodge's gum paste recipe a try.  It is easy and inexpensive to make and very strong.  I've used several different kinds, but overall, this is my favorite.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 12:14am
post #8 of 19

MerMadeBakedGoods, I see why people loved your baseball cookies, they are adorable.  Personally, I want the chocolate ones, which look divine!

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 12:42am
post #9 of 19

Thanks SandraSmiley! Also...HOW easy is that gum paste recipe? Because I’m a moron. But I have to make a trumpet later this month and I don’t think fondant is gonna cut it. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:19am
post #10 of 19

Nick’s recipe is really easy   I’ve made it w/3 day old royal icing made w/meringue powder rather than from scratch as the recipe  is written using egg whites    I was teaching Wilton & had to make royal in class then go out of town for a weekend Wilton mtg so when I got home I needed gumpaste & didn’t want to waste the icing so just added the tylose turning it into   GP  perfect!   

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:33am
post #11 of 19

It is very easy, if you have a heavy duty stand mixer, MerMadeBakedGoods.  I forgot to mention that I always add one more egg white than Nick Lodge calls for, I use large eggs.  It is fairly fool proof and is wonderful.  There are lots of things that just work better with gum paste.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 19

everybody’s stuff is great — wow thatcakedude— first time doing flowers? get outa here! move over ron ben-israel 

Laetia Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

@SandraSmiley those bundt cakes of yours looks so delicious, even though I'm not realy into pumpkin anything! Your praline frosting looks like something I'd love to eat straight from the bowl. I took a look at Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe and I might give it a try next time I have flowers to make. I've only work with fondant till now, but I know this is not the best medihm for flowers.

@BettyA I've used actual melted marshmallows for the spider webs, not the ready made fluff stuff in a jar. Sorry if I was not clear...

@ThatCakeDude42 you've made a realy pretty Halloween cake! I love the black on black drip and buttercream. Also love the color of your roses, such a nice match. I can't believe they are your first ones! Your wife and daughter made a great job with the cupcakes, the mummie are my favorite.

@MerMadeBakedGoods lovely baseball cookies, but I have to admit that your chocolate-mint cookies are speaking to me real loud!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 19

What wonderful work everyone:)   The spider is delightful, Sandra your beautiful work as always ,    I tried to reach in for a couple of chocolate cookies but just can’t quite reach them -they look soooo tasty:)   CakeDude those roses are super!  Room for improvement?  Yes but most of us do also — always:)   

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 19

Laetia your spider web cake is awesome! I'm kinda sad Halloween is passed, because seeing how great it looks on your cake kinda makes me want to give it a try.

SandraSmiley I totally second wanting to be your neighbor. Your dessert plates look so tasty!

ThatCakeDude42 your cake looks fantastic and chocolate gamache with raspberry liqueur sounds divine. I love boozy recipes, but somehow that combo never occurred to me. I may have to steal that idea at some point!

MerMadeBakedGoods your cookies are adorable. I'm not even a baseball fan and I'd buy them.

I did a few fall themed cakes. My boss was showing me Halloween designs, but since it was less than a week away, it seemed silly to risk putting out new designs that would just end up sitting around until they expired if they weren't picked up within a couple days. So I suggested doing some more general autumn things and my boss was okay with that

Changing leaves is a pretty easy design, but I think it's still nice.

A pumpkin patch also wasn't too complicated, but I think it's still kinda cute

And a cornucopia design was mostly an excuse to try a basket weave. I never used that tip before and I wanted to give it a try

Laetia Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks kakeladi and angesradieux. By the way, your drip/fall leaves cake is very pretty!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 12:58am
post #17 of 19

Beautiful cakes, Laetia!  They make me hungry to look at them!  Thanks for your sweet words!  Come on down!  I live in the country and there is room for all.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 12:37pm
post #18 of 19

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:12am
post #19 of 19

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%