Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19

Decorating By Laetia Updated 22 Oct 2019 , 9:22pm by SandraSmiley

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 3:07am
post #1 of 22

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

I can't believe friday is already there. The week had fly by way too fast! I did not have the time to come here sooner. I've take a look at last week post, great cake and dog treat! You have one lucky friend MerMadeBakedGoods.  I hope you all had a greak week, 

Julie

21 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 22

Just got home from delivering this. Realized I undercharged again. Kind of annoyed at myself :(.

Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 2:06am
post #3 of 22

MerMadeBakedGoods   that's pretty awesome!  what a great design for a guy.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 2:22am
post #4 of 22

Thanks, MBalaska! It was fun to make but I really freak out when I have to cover big cakes in fondant...there’s always a crack or something somewhere. Thankfully the tuxedo shirt covered most of my problems this time :).

I need to get tougher about pricing. I charged $274, which is waaaay better than what I used to charge, but with delivery and set up, the RIDICULOUS cost of vanilla beans and some fondant extras, I have a feeling that I’m undercharging (these are Washington, DC area prices I’m comparing with).

also, I have lots of leftover peanut butter frosting, which I am now eating with a spoon :). So that’s a plus!

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 3:01am
post #5 of 22

That cake is awesome MerMadeBakedGoods! I love it!

I was anticipating an uneventful week, but then this order came in at the last minute. It always annoys me when people place orders for cakes to feed 50 people in under 48 hour notice. Unfortunately I wasn't there when the order was taken, so I couldn't tell them to say no. By the time I found out, the stupid thing was already paid for.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 3:17am
post #6 of 22

MerMadeBakedGoods that is an amazing cake. I agree about undercharging. Pricing is the hardest part. Don’t sell yourself short. Especially if you are baking as a job. 

I did a bake cake for a wedding and cake balls for a baby shower last week. The little boy snorkeling cake was for my grandson who turned 2 this week. 

Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 11:28am
post #7 of 22

I love everyone cakes this week.  I made this for family friends 85 birthday.  

Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19Friday Night Cake Club For 10-18-19

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 22

Oh just love that snorkeling cake —so cute   Those cake pops are a lot of work but the semi naked cakes aren’t              Njewett nicely done   Are the flowers real?  

Njewett Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 22

Kakeladi, Yes the flowers are real.  

post #10 of 22

post #11 of 22

Laetia Posted 20 Oct 2019 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 22

Wow, there's a lots of great cakes here!

@MerMadeBakedGoods, that's an awesome cake you've made! I never had to price any cake I've made since I'm a  just a hobby baker. But I'm sure that if I had to do so, I would cut myself short too. It looks so hard to value our time and effort correctly. 

@angesradieux cute beachy cake!

@Marian64 you've been busy! Your wedding cake is very very beautiful and the kids little swimmer is adorable.

@Njewett such a lovely cake! I'm sure you've made a realy happy friend with such a beauty

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 3:27am
post #13 of 22

That is a really cool cake, MerMadeBakedGoods!  Well done.

Your beach is very pretty, angesradieux.

Marian64, I love all your cakes.  The small cake with the cake balls is so pretty and I love the wedding cake. Your grandson's cake is adorable.

That is a real beauty, Njewett!  I know your friend loved it!

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 3:29am
post #14 of 22

I've been working on flowers for a friends birthday next Saturday.  Roses and leaves finished, now trying to do baby's breath....yes, I am crazy!

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 3:44am
post #15 of 22

I should have known those were made by you:)   Such beautiful roses   The largest one is so life like 

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 3:54am
post #16 of 22

Thanks for the kind words.

@angesradieux such a cute cake

@Njewett beautiful cake. 

@SandraSmiley I am so impressed with your roses. Can’t wait to see the baby breath. 

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 12:03pm
post #17 of 22

Bump 

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Oct 2019 , 11:13pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you kakeladi and Marian64.  I am not really very good at flowers, have not done that many.  I seriously need to practice more.

Laetia Posted 22 Oct 2019 , 1:09am
post #19 of 22

Beautiful flowers Sandra! I have to agree with kakeladi, the largest one looks so real. Good luck with the baby's breath, can't wait to see the final cake

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Oct 2019 , 2:45am
post #20 of 22

Thank you so much, Laetia!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 Oct 2019 , 6:34am
post #21 of 22

Holey cow, Sandra, those roses are amazing!!! How long did it take you to make each one? And, more important, how did you maintain the veining when attaching each petal?

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Oct 2019 , 9:22pm
post #22 of 22

All of these except the largest one are just little quickies which probably took an average of an hour each, more for the larger, less for the smaller.  The big one  has wired outer petals, the others do not.  I let the wired petals dry before adding them to the rest of the rose.   I've never had a problem with loosing the veining, gscout73???  Thanks for you kind words.  These really are not very well done, but will work well on a cake.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%