How Long Can A Strawberry Filled Cake Sit Out At Room Temperature?

Baking By joannie95 Updated 13 Oct 2019 , 1:01pm by -K8memphis

joannie95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joannie95 Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

Someone ordered a cake and they sent a picture and it looks like its covered in fondant but the thing is she wants a strawberry filling. I would be putting a chocolate ganache border just so the filling doesn't touch the fondant, since I won't be able to refrigerate it how long is it able to sit out for. I would be cooking the strawberries for the filling and I would be assembling it the day before its needed.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 7

four accumulated hours out of temperature

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 7

You can use jam or sleeved fillings and it can be out of refrigeration for many hours - Smucker's Simply Fruit is a great choice.  The sleeved is not all the available......usually only in cake supply shops whereas the jam is in most supermarkets.   I'm thinking what K8 is referring to is if you used real/fresh berries. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 7

If you cook your strawberries down with enough sugar, you are essentially making your own jam. So you should be fine for many hours.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

not a cake kept out of the fridge — and you’re making your own — i still recommend four hours — check page 2 here — 

https://health.mo.gov/safety/foodsafety/pdf/JamsJelliesBakedGoodsBrochure.pdf

i mean it Might be ok but it Might become hazardous — it will be in contact with the cake and icing too — it could get weepy will that potential added water create a petri dish effect —

if anyone got sick like even from something like the potato salad and it was investigated you would make yourself a target — it’s a risk, that’s why you asked —

also someone very young/old or perhaps someone who is already ill might get sick and you’ll never know — it’s a risk I would not take —  to be safe and professional it’s four hours — 

decorated cake is considered catering in my state because you are serving a lot of people — 

if you clean out your fridge would it fit?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 7

Well  K8memphis 

Guess were gonna have to agree to disagree. I’ve made 2 birthday cakes  with buttercream and jam on top. One a homemade peach, another strawberry jam. There is enough sugar as a preservative that it will be fine. The cake with the homemade peach jam sat for a minimum of four hours before it was cut. Possibly longer. My Brit decorator friends do it all the time. And here’s a discussion from 2006 on CC about the same subject.  

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/28339/raspberry-filling-refrigerate

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2019 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 7

although there’s nothing wrong with differences i think we actually agree more than might be evident — there’s a lot of things I would do for us at home that I would never do as a professional — 

the first words in her post say, “someone ordered a cake” so I am wearing a different hat — I need to have an answer if anything safety/sanitation related comes up — frankly it never has — i’ve never been involved in any investigation but as a professional I am prepared with proper procedures to show for my work if there ever was one —

so having an available refrigerator is a normal operating procedure for a cooked fruit filling — 

put it this way — once the filling is cooked and cooled, I would neither process it in a canner nor leave it on the counter until I filled cake the next day — i would fridge the cooked filling so I would likewise store the finished cake in the fridge because she said she is assembling the day before it is due —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%