Semi Naked Cake

Baking By Nancylee1952 Updated 25 Sep 2019 , 2:32pm by -K8memphis

Nancylee1952 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylee1952 Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 16

Hoping someone can help me here. I have been asked to do a small wedding cake 6” and 8”.  She wants a semi-naked spice cake.

The first sample cake I did was from scratch and she wanted brown sugar cinnamon frosting.  She was not happy with it-said the cake color was too light and frosting color was too close to being same color that the “semi-nakedness of the cake didn’t show.

So we tried a vanilla buttercream-she was still not happy.

Now she wants us to do a box spice, thinking it may be darker in color, along with a cream cheese frosting.

Question 1-thoughts on using box spice?  Question 2-will a cream cheese frosting hold up?  Any recipes for one that would?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  Really stressing out on this one.

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 16

Duplicate post 

Nancylee1952 Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 16

Quote by @Nancylee1952 on 1 hour ago

Hoping someone can help me here. I have been asked to do a small wedding cake 6” and 8”.  She wants a semi-naked spice cake.

The first sample cake I did was from scratch and she wanted brown sugar cinnamon frosting.  She was not happy with it-said the cake color was too light and frosting color was too close to being same color that the “semi-nakedness of the cake didn’t show.

Now she wants us to do a box spice, thinking it may be darker in color, along with a cream cheese frosting.

Question 1-thoughts on using box spice?  Question 2-will a cream cheese frosting hold up?  Any recipes for one that would?

Nancylee1952 Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 16

Quote by @Nancylee1952 on 1 hour ago

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 16

Can’t use cream cheese frosting if it’s going to sit out - use K8’s recipe for white balsamic vinegar buttercream...it has the same taste.

spice cake sounds delicious. 

Seems like the customer might be a smidge difficult?

Nancylee1952 Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 16

She’s being very difficult   She’s a friend of my daughter-in-law and if it weren’t for their relationship, I’d probably back out   We gave her a very good price, but now she’s saying that if we are using a box mix, that the price should drop.  We’re also doing 150 cupcakes for her and after 7 test runs she narrowed it down to 3 flavors, one being an apple pie filling.   Now she’s decided because someone is making apple pies that may be too much apple and asked to change to pumpkin spice-this not being one we tested.  We simply told her we did not have the time to test any more-but if she gave us the recipe that’s what we would use.  So that’s the plan for now.  Ughh....

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 16

Holy macaronis!!! She seems like a tyrant!! That’s totally ridiculous. I’m sorry you’re stuck in that position :(.

kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 16

**7!** test runs??? And she still is not happy!?! She thinks the price should come down???    Come on - STOP NOW   She has no right to tell you how much to charge!!  Friend or not  I would tell her that's the price take it or leave it.   Really

kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 16

Oh and don't be surprised when you make HER recipe and she comes back wanting a refund because it 'just didn't taste right"..........

Nancylee1952 Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 16

Oh I’m sure....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2019 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 16

your daughter-in-law should pull the plug on this for you — this girl is not a friend — she’s a diva being allowed to run you ragged — this is an incredibly jaded unfair situation that you are allowing — literally ridiculous —  get some gumption and send her packin’!!

but whatever you do — do not cut your prices — if anything raise them

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Sep 2019 , 12:37am
post #12 of 16

Amen, K8!!!!

kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2019 , 12:48am
post #13 of 16

Yes K8 is right  especially with your comment that even you think she will not be happy with anything you do —demanding a refund after ALL the cake has been devoured by the delighted guests   Get your DIL to intercede 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Sep 2019 , 12:53am
post #14 of 16

You should drop her like a hot potato.  No way will this end well.

Nancylee1952 Posted 24 Sep 2019 , 10:33am
post #15 of 16

As much as I’d like to drop her, the wedding is in 2 weeks.  I just can’t.  She has agreed to the original price and still wants a box mix  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2019 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 16

consider telling her no more changes then — but before she comes up with something else — not in reply to another change — unless she wants to add additional servings in the form of a quarter sheet or your easiest cake to whip out — undecorated of course

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%