Do You Garden?

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 6 Sep 2019 , 6:45pm by kakeladi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Aug 2019 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 37

I sooo enjoy growing food   I even plant all winter   Today I just picked 3 butternut squash   Found this Armenian cukecumber growing on one of the vines   Almost pulled the plant out as there were hundreds of blossoms but no fruit set until the  past couple of weeks   I’ve gotten about 10 so far   Even made a cucumber sweet bread/cake with them!    Do You Garden?Do You Garden?Do You Garden?Do You Garden? 

36 replies
BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 31 Aug 2019 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 37

I used to love gardening but do very little now. My son does the most of it. My legs give me a lot of trouble now. That is one strange "cuke" all curly like  that. Pretty...Looks almost like a gourd. What does the inside look like??

kakeladi Posted 31 Aug 2019 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 37

The inside is a *very* light green - almost white with far fewer seeds than a 'regular' cuke.  It is suppose to be 'burpless'.  I have trouble eating them........the I re-taste them for days after:(  Same thing w/watermellon.    I 'pickle' them.....make brine w/vinegar, sugar, and water - slice the cuke and set in the brine overnight with some onions cut thin.... now that's some good eatin :)

BettyA Posted 31 Aug 2019 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 37

I love cukes too, they remind of how "good" they were several hours later :))) but I eat them any way. My "I know it's summer" sandwich.. bread, mayo, cucumber& onion.

BettyA Posted 31 Aug 2019 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 37

and....if I have tomatoes they go on too. :)))

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2019 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 37

I love that cucumber! way cool

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 1:54am
post #7 of 37

Betty, you should try having a few veggies in pots.  Our soil is so hard and rocky, plus living in the woods, the wildlife is prohibitive, we have several pots on our deck.  Three tomatoes, one cucumber, one jalapeno (which were too dang hot to eat this year), one bell pepper and one pablano pepper.  Just that few plants yield plenty of produce to make us happy all summer.  One of the things we have enjoyed most is cucumber in apple cider vinegar (K8memphis, I had to beat Mike off my white balsamic vinegar) and onions.

BettyA Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 2:06am
post #8 of 37

I know, I really should have done that. It was so hot this year it just sapped me for being outside doing anything. My energy just wasn't there.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 2:08am
post #9 of 37

I completely understand that!  I almost gave myself a heat stroke weed eating and I thought I was being very careful!  I think the hot, dry weather is why our jalapenos are so freakin' hot.  We literally cannot eat them and what a shame because the plant is just hanging full of them.  Many have already turned bright red and it looks like a Christmas tree.

BettyA Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 2:16am
post #10 of 37

Pluck'em, string'em, dry and hang in your kitchen for décor..:)))

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 2:23am
post #11 of 37

What a fabulous idea, Betty!  I'll do that tomorrow.  I could grind them finely in the food processor and use them in cooking.  Of course, I would have to take the food processor outside to keep from destroying the house, haha.

kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 4:41am
post #12 of 37

Nothing even remotely spicy for me   Got a new jar of bread & butter pickles the other day  didn’t notice it said “zesty” & heck if they aren’t hot/spicy:(  Yuck  

kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 4:45am
post #13 of 37

Took some of the pickled cukes to a picnic today and got lots of good comments 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 37

What a cool cucumber! 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 37

That’s one funky lookin cucumber! Very cool! My garden is currently under attack by whiteflies and now my neighbors think I’ve lost my mind since I’ve taken to giving them a piece of my mind, out loud, every day, while I spray the hell outta them.

kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 37

How about sharing a picture of your garden?  No you’re not out of your mind   Those nastys need to be told to scram!!  

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 5:56pm
post #17 of 37

Do You Garden?

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 5:57pm
post #18 of 37

Whoops! It’s sideways :(. I just sprayed those suckers with soap, rubbing alcohol and water. Next up, more ladybugs!!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Sep 2019 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 37

It looks so pretty.  I love a garden.

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 2:26am
post #20 of 37

From early April; them what it is like today Do You Garden?Do You Garden?Do You Garden?

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 2:46am
post #21 of 37

Do You Garden?Do You Garden?Do You Garden?

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 2:55am
post #22 of 37

Do You Garden?

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 2:57am
post #23 of 37

There’s more but I won’t bore w   Can’t figure out how to post a video :(  

BettyA Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 3:01am
post #24 of 37

Not boring at all. Nice garden, I see you have one of my most favorite garden flowers too, zinnias.

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 3:47pm
post #25 of 37

Oh no, not boring at all!  I love seeing how you've used the boxes and made everything so pretty.  Mike even enjoyed seeing your pictures and we might steal a few ideas!

BettyA Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 8:17pm
post #26 of 37

I'll share this pic, not something you can eat but I can enjoy looking at it.  Most ofDo You Garden?Do You Garden? my other flowers almost gone & not very pretty now. This Clematis just blooming away. Has a strong aroma.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 9:29pm
post #27 of 37

It is so beautiful, Betty!  I've never seen this variety.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 10:15pm
post #28 of 37

very pretty, betty

lynne you have a green thumb on one hand and a white one (flour) on the other 

kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 1:06am
post #29 of 37

Oh thnak you K8. I get sooo much satisfaction from growing food.  I end up giving away at least 1/2 of it.    The tomatoes have totally given up - I just picked all of them today.  Use the greens ones to make gr tom cake.  The aucchini  squash is close  but the Armenian cukes and butternut squash are going well.  I've gotten at least 2 dozen cukes and so far 4 squash w/at least 6 more of each still developing.  You will never know how sweet butternut squash is until you try a fresh picked one!   Love, love it :) 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 2:48am
post #30 of 37

that’s awesome, lynne!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%