Yolanda Gammps Ultimate Vanilla Cake ?

Baking By Melanyc Updated 26 Aug 2019 , 1:03pm by Freckles0829

Melanyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melanyc Posted 24 Aug 2019 , 6:23am
post #1 of 6

This has not been asked in a while so here goes,

has anyone made her recipe for vanilla cake or chocolate cake? 

I have seen some people say it’s super dry without syrup, 

my question is has anyone made it with a good result? 

Also can I add some oil perhaps to the recipe to make it “moist” without all the syrup

Also, does anybody have a similar recipe to hers that would be moist and flavorful but also for stacking and carving and I really like how her recipe shows you how to double and triple the recipe so that you don’t have to make so many batches. I would love to use either hers or another one similar that has the conversions to double and triple.  

Sorry for so many questions, have a cake coming up that I may need a lot of cake for. And my vanilla cake recipe is to soft and moist to stack and carve 

5 replies
ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 24 Aug 2019 , 9:57am
post #2 of 6

I've made both of them.

I know I made the vanilla multiple times, but I didn't keep it after trying other recipes... I don't remember why I dropped it.  

The chocolate is pretty good.  I use it when I need something sturdy. It is fine without the simple syrup, but better with it.  I used it for this cake: https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3418172/freddy-fazbear-from-five-nights-at-freddys

If you're not morally opposed to using mixes, these are good, too (you can use 3 whole eggs instead of 4 egg whites): 

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/6093/durable-cake-for-3d-in-chocolate 

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2019 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 6

A terrific recipe is found in the recipe section of this site called * original * WASC (white almond sour cream)   It is a very long post with many many replies   Do take the time to read thru the whole post for the helpful tips & praises!   It is a great moist cake recipe for ALL flavors of cake 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 25 Aug 2019 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 6

I've never tried any of Yolanda's recipes. I do watch her a lot on Facebook and she's absolutely amazing! She does such beautiful work. However, I have one issue with her: if her cakes are so dry that she has to load up every single layer with simple syrup the way she does, I don't know that I would want to try them. Dense is one thing, dry is another.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 26 Aug 2019 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 6

I have tried both her vanilla and chocolate cakes.  I find them to be pretty tasty and when I did use the cakes I didn't soak them in simple syrup because I thought they were just fine without it.  However, I did find that the vanilla cake did firm up a bit when refrigerated so if eaten cold it could seem dry but if you let it come fully to room temp it became soft/moist again.

I know she uses the simple syrup as a way to keep the cakes from drying out during the decorating process, but I was always under the belief that once you fill, stack, ice/cover in fondant that that seals in the moisture.  Also, freezing your cakes is a great way to increase the moistness.

For me though, I have switched to using the WASC recipe from this site.  I find it to be super tasty.  Easy to switch up flavors.  Stable enough for stacking and carving.  And keeps a great texture whether refrigerated or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%