Fondant

Decorating By KatyN Updated 2 Aug 2019 , 7:08pm by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 27 Jul 2019 , 1:41am
post #1 of 11

Couple of questions -

1.  Had anyone ever taken a sculpting class to better learn how to make figurines?  It just doesn't come naturally to me.  If there are any particularly good books or videos I'd appreciate it. My internet is wonky at best so if I'm going to watch a video I'd want to be worthwhile!

2.  Fondant.  I live in a VERY small town, where the only thing available is Wilton.  I can get some online - what's worth my money?  I'm new to fondant and would trust the advice of the experienced!

Thank you!    

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2019 , 4:28am
post #2 of 11

Books:  I use library books on working with clay, wood carving, sculpy , even glass creating can give some help   Wilton GumTex/&/or fondant  is ok for learning   I have done mostly small creations that can be seen in my photos on this site  

kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2019 , 4:54am
post #3 of 11

Check pgs 2, 12,15  & 17 especially in my photo album  

KatyN Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 6:06am
post #4 of 11

Afraid I Couldn't find that  - could you send me the link?

Thanks!

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 11
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 11

Here's a link I found posted by Sandra - might be helpful to you:  https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/852059/cute-sitting-boy-tutorial

kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 11

Oh crud!!  With the problems this sight has — especially with pictures— I guess you can’t actually see my pix:(   Sorry-I tried to help 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 11

I prefer to make my own fondant.  I use Liz Marek's fondant recipe.  It makes about 4 pounds of fondant, is super easy to whip together, and doesn't cost much in ingredients.  You just need to be prepared to kneed a lot once you finish the mixer portion.  I have found this fondant to be the easiest to work with.  I have tried Satin Ice in black and found that it dried pretty quickly.  I have also tried Cake Craft fondant and that was especially sticky.  I have also used Wilton in the past and found that easy to work with but it isn't the best tasting, plus it can get costly.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 11

I also make my own fondant using Liz Marek's recipe.  Regarding the "lot of kneading", I divide the ball into four sections and knead the smaller sections separately, which is much faster and easier.  I then wrap them individually, which makes them easier to use than one big ball.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/fondant-recipe/

There are dozens and dozens of videos on modeling and all of them have merit.  I don't think I've ever watched a single one that didn't teach me something.  Just Google whatever type model you wish to make.  Many sites (Pinterest posts lots of them) do pictorial tutorials, as well, which I prefer to the videos.

KatyN Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 9:53am
post #10 of 11

Wow, that recipe looks great!

thanks everyone.  Unfortunately my...professional education lacked quite a bit in some areas.  The instruction for fondant was less than great and it was a horrible experience.  I’d really like to get more proficient and comfortable with it.

Thanks again!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 11

KatyN, you really should give it a try.  I've never know anyone who didn't like it and it is really easy to make (if you have a heavy duty stand mixer).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%