Marbel Cake Questions And Help

Baking By jollybuns Updated 5 Jul 2019 , 7:20pm by jollybuns

jollybuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jollybuns Posted 1 Jul 2019 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 19

My first time making marble cake and i have a few questions:

I need to make a two tiered cake and will be covering it with fondant.

1) I plan on "cheating" and using the cake boxes instead of making it completely from scratch, anyone have experience with this or know if it tastes the same or if i should do the traditional from scratch?

2) I was thinking of meringue buttercream frosting, both vanilla for the first cake and chocolate for the second cake. will this be a good match with the cake? any other better frosting recommendations that go well with marble?

3) for simple syrup, do i use just the classic one or is there a specific simple syrup that goes well with marble?

thank you so much!

18 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2019 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 19

Marble cake is simply a combination of vanilla/chocolate cake batters in one pan the two batters are mixed slightly in order to keep the two flavors from completely mixing together   I have made many:)   Depending on how big the cake will be will help determine how to proceed   If I

cake will be 

kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2019 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 19

Sorry wasn’t finished ^^^           If I was making a small cake —just one mix batter— I’d make the batter usually a yellow mix & remove about 1/2 cup to which I add unsweetened chocolate cocoa powder drppping spoonfuls into the yellow batter then drag a fork through    If it’s a lgr cake mix each recipe separately & fill the pan w/the 1st batter & drop spoonfuls of the chocolate in & run the spoon or a fork thru in both directions    Any icing is good w/marble cake   Simple syrup is not needed when a cake is baked properly but if you still want to use it it probably won’t hurt   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2019 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 19

coffee flavor icing is the bombshabomb with marble cake

kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2019 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 19

Oh K8 just reminded me about adding coffee to chocolate cakes.   Now I **HATE!!** coffee(how can anything that smells soooooo good taste soooooooo oweful??)   but you don't taste it - it brings out the chocolate flavor better :)  Use a strong brewed coffee as the liquid in all you chocolate cake batters.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jul 2019 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 19

Another option would be to add coffee to your filling - Taster's choice instant in boiled water, then cooled is great added to regular chocolate buttercream as part of the liquid. Make it really strong. I would use it as filling and use the meringue buttercream as the frosting. 

jollybuns Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 19

do you have a recipe you can share? i'm not too familiar with chocolate buttercream, last time i made it the recipe was sugar, butter and then heavy cream, so would the coffee replace the heavy cream?

jollybuns Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 19

do i just add a cup of coffee to my chocolate batter? or do i substitute it for anything? i plan on using the cake box so all the recipe calls for is really eggs, oil and water to mix with the flour?

jollybuns Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 19

that sounds amazing! do you have a recipe you can share?

kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 19

Please look up the recipe “the *original*WASC”  cake recipe on this site in the recipe section   Using a chocolate mix instead of the water use brewed coffee   It is such a great recipe you’ ll Love It   

kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 19

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe     Aahhhhh!   I got it to work LOL   This is the link to the cake recipe mentioned in the above post 

kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 19

In buttercream I would not leave out the cream — instead add instant coffee to it   Warm the cream some so it dissolves but be sure not to let it boil!      Oh instead dissolve the coffee in about a tablespoon oh boiling water then add that to the cream 

jollybuns Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 19

i definitely have to try that, thank you so much!

jollybuns Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 19

how large is a large batter? so i am making two tiered and the top layer i think is 4 in length and 6 in height. with something small but high, should i do multiple of layers when adding the cake batter to the pan? for example: part yellow, add chocolate, mix then add more yellow, chocolate mix etc?

does the chocolate sink to the bottom at all?

kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 19

A ‘lg batter’ is any over one cake mix   A cake that is 2 or more layers with filling between them is called a tier so you plan to have 2 tiers   Do you know how to stack?  There needs to be a cake circle under the top tier with support dowels in the lower one     In one pan you pour the yellow (or white) batter then spoon about a total of 1 cup of chocolate batter in & lightly/slightly stir it    No the chocolate will not sink    Sorry must leave for an appointment now   If you have more ?s I’ll be back later 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jul 2019 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 19

kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2019 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 19

Using box mixes is NOT cheating!!  A great tasting cake CAN be made with box mix & of course it will taste the same or better!   Depending on the size of the cake if you need lots of batter use the whole batter of a chocolate mix but don’t just pour it in but spoon it in & don’t mix it well   I 

kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2019 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 19

Fiddlesticks I wasn’t finished:(   Don’t understand about the frosting about using 2–cho & vanilla on 2 cakes?  It sounds like you are making 1 tier vanilla & 1 chocolate rather than making them marble then icing the vanilla tier w/chocolate &the chocolate one w/vanilla icing.  Just reread your comment (post#14)  no just pour all the vanilla batter in then add the chocolate in dabs all over — maybe drizzle it over depending on how much is being used 

jollybuns Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 19

awesome thank you so much for all you're help!! I will be making it soon and let you know if i have any questions :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%