Paper Towel Smoothing Method

Decorating By JamiJ1225 Updated 30 Jun 2019 , 4:00pm by SandraSmiley

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

I think I already know the answer, but can you use American Buttercream made with butter only for the paper towel trick?  I read that it has to crust a little first and mine crusts with no problem, so I'm assuming it would work with my fondant smoother.  I just wanted to check with other bakers who have done it before :)

Thanks!

7 replies
zjones4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

I've had no problems using the paper towel method with any of my buttercream recipes.  Hope that helps!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 8

Also works with parchment paper instead of paper towels. Let the icing set up first. Make sure your room is below 75F - the cooler the better. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jun 2019 , 2:14am
post #4 of 8

Absolutely.  I make ABC with all butter most of the time and use the paper towel smoothing method.  Works fine.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 8

I use both wax paper and paper towels using Viva. When using paper towel be sure to look carefully for minute lint pieces the towel can leave.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 8

brand new uber clean cloth is also an option

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 8

I really like the look of the different patterns the different brands of paper towels make  & used them often   I’ve heard judges at cake shows say how they take points off because they don’t:(    That’s like the judges on those tv shows say someone’ s Icing is too sweet!  I don’t get it-icing is supposed to be sweet   Weird indeed:)  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 8

Ditto, kakeladi!  Icing is supposed to be sweet!  Sometimes I think judges are a little weird.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%