Advice On How To Recreate The Cake Tier In Picture

Decorating By Baker_NI Updated 27 Jun 2019 , 5:20pm by SandraSmiley

Baker_NI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_NI Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 9

Hi All,

I've found a picture of a wedding cake I'd like to try and recreate parts of it..  Only thing is I'm not sure how to recreate the 2nd tier from the top.  I'm struggling even to recognise the colour.  I'd say gold but when I search for gold sprinkles, they are more bright, more yellow/orange.  The picture looks like they are more metallic.

So I'm hoping some of you lovely bakers can give me some advice.  Should I colour/paint the fondant before putting sprinkles on?  Does anyone know what kind of sprinkles they are?  Or what colour of sprinkles to look for?Advice On How To Recreate The Cake Tier In Picture

Greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you have :)

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 9

I can’t tell you how that was done but one way to get there is to look up the “impression mat confetti already” on the evilcakegenius dot com web site — on that page it shows the links for metallic dusts/sprays — on that site you can also buy edible confetti and sequins if you wanna go that way —

i would post the link but I am on my phone —

also if you want to respond to this conversation please feel free to start a new thread because new members, like you, cannot “reply” to threads for a while

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 9

although the surface of the tier in the photo looks flakier than the mold would produce — hmm

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:30am
post #4 of 9

Perhaps if we knew where the picture came from or who the cake artist credited for this lovely cake is, we could more easily come up with the information. Did the photo come from a certain magazine or site and was the cake artist named?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 11:32am
post #5 of 9

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that tier is a faux tier.  I know that you can purchase faux glitter cake tiers on etsy.

But if you want edible, Global Sugar Arts (I am sure as many other cake/bakery sites) sells edible cake flakes that would probably give you a similar look.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 9

Bump

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 9

oh I got it! a way to make it exactly!! get or make some thin edible sequins, dry them and take them for a whirl in the food processor -- use some of that debris

blush

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 9

I hesitate to mention this but if you post a picture from a publication, another site or someone's personal photos there could be copyright infringements or sometimes angry cake decorators threatening this site's owners. Some people are fine if you credit them or the publication whilst others are not. If you know where this came from it is probably safest to credit that artist/site/publication. 

I don't know how things are recently but in the past there were some nasty shootouts at the "Oh Cake Corral" over this so it may be wise to play it safe for everyone's sake.

I agree - it may be a dummy layer and I also like -K8memphis' suggestion. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%