Buttercream Icing

Baking By punkyf Updated 27 Jun 2019 , 11:12am by jchuck

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 32

Several years ago I ordered Sweetex shortening with trans fats  and froze it. I have used it up and now don't Know what shortening I should use for my buttercream icing. I tried Crisco and ended up with an oily mess. What is everyone doing now? 

Punkyf

31 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 32

I use buttah

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 32

There are NO shortenings available that contain trans fats due to a goverment edict :(  I use 1/2 butter & 1/2 Crisco.   We all have such different tastes & expectations but I have never made any icing that ended up an oily mess. 

punkyf Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 32

With Sweetex, I did not use any butter. It made the perfect crusting buttercream. With the trans fat free Crisco, after icing the cake,  oil pooled at the bottom of the cake. I miss my trans fats.

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 32

I use 1/2 butter & 1/2 crisco, too. When storing it in a container at room temperature, I've noticed a little oil forming in pockets, it easily mixes right back in, though. I have not noticed any oily texture on the cakes.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 12:40am
post #6 of 32

I had the identical experience as you, punkyf!  I felt like crying when I took the last 5 pounds of old style Sweetex out of the freezer.  I've tried using 1/2 Crisco and 1/2 butter but have decided to stick with all butter.  Everything else is awful.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 12:58am
post #7 of 32

I use butter too but you are stuck with having to ensure that room temperature doesn't exceed  75F.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:37am
post #8 of 32

When I first took cake decorating lessons, about 100 years ago, I learned the Wilton icing. Which is basically half butter, half shortening. Haven’t used any shortening in my icing in years and years. I’ve experimented with all sorts of icings. I just recently hit upon a great combo. Cooked flour icing and Liz Mareks mock smbc mixed together. Total winner. I just made my grandson’s birthday cake, and absolutely everyone loved the icing. Everyone said, icing was sweet, but not overly so. Just peasantly sweet. And not too buttery tasting. 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:43am
post #9 of 32

jchuck - I have a friend who only uses cooked flour icing and it is well received mainly because it isn't very sweet compared to Wilton's or other buttercreams. Of course she uses Wilton's recipe for flowers and such. The flour icing is quite delicious.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:50am
post #10 of 32

I first learned of cooked flour icing from ancient Wilton yearbooks — they called it “french buttercream”

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:55am
post #11 of 32

I don't remember what I was working on when I learned of ermine frosting. I like using it as a sturdy replacement for whipped cream.

jchuck Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:59am
post #12 of 32

SquirrellyCakes My go too icing is cooked flour icing. My family just plain doesn’t like smbc, too buttery, or all butter buttercream, too sweet. I do doctor the flour icing by add a couple of cups of icing sugar and some meringue powder. This helps the icing crust faster and pipe better. But that’s personal choice. I do like Liz’s mock smbc, but it is a bit sweet. I added the two together because where I was talking the cake, there is no AC. The house has been known to be extremely warm, and downright hot. Wanted my icing to be able to withstand. 

jchuck Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 2:20am
post #13 of 32

K8memphis I have also seen flour icing referred to as “french buttercream”, as well as, ermine icing, cloud burst icing, boiled milk icing  and other names. This icing was developed during WW II because butter and eggs were highly rationed. So you didn’t need a lot of both for a simple cake. My Scottish Mom said this was the icing they made in the UK during the war. My Mom immigrated to Canada while the war was still in full swing. Rationing was also in Canada, so she continued to make the flour icing. Mom made this icing when I was a child in the 50/60’s. I was searching for a good vegan icing for someone with intolerances to dairy when I happened upon a post somewhere about flour icing. I remembered that my Mom had made it often. I just swapped the milk for almond milk, gluten free flour for regular flour, and all shortening for the butter. Icing wasn’t greasy or sweet. So I then made the recipe with the called for ingredients and loved it. 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 1:12pm
post #14 of 32

very cool June — I think they used to promote it for red velvet cake too — I saw an episode of the pioneer woman, ree drummond, where she had demo-ed it for rv and although she had initially been quite skeptical of  “cooked flour” for an icing — she quickly became a fan — 

I like your vegan gf version too — I only made it for weddings in the 70’s as written — then I switched to smbc when I got Margaret Braun’s book — she had such a clear cut method — but now I think the vintage “French buttercream” is called “French vanilla bc” — because there already was/is a fbc — duh on Wilton or whoever got that all crossways —

it’s still kinda confusing — no egg yolks were damaged in the development of this cfbc— hahahaha

jchuck Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 3:17pm
post #15 of 32

You are absolutely correct K8memphis about the icing for red velvet cake. Everyone thinks cream cheese icing was/is  the go to icing for red velvet. But cream cheese didn’t exist in the 1940’s when red velvet first invented. Or at least,  to readily available. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 3:26pm
post #16 of 32

I give full credit to June for introducing me to the cooked flour, ermine frosting.  Being much lighter and less sweet than ABC, Mike and I love it.

punkyf Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 5:32pm
post #17 of 32

Thank you everyone for responding. I am so sad. I loved my icing. We can drink and smoke but we can't have icing with trans fats in it. I will try experimenting with some of your suggestions. I am familiar with the cooked flour icing. Sometimes it turns out for me and sometimes not. I need a crusting icing. Have any of you tried the sweetex type shortening without the trans fats?

punkyf Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 32

Where could I find the recipe for Liz Mareks mock SMBC ? I tried looking in the recipes here and couldn't find it. 

post #19 of 32

Where could I find the recipe for Liz Mareks mock SMBC ? I tried looking in the recipes here and couldn't find it. 

post #20 of 32

post #21 of 32

punkyf Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 11:16pm
post #23 of 32

ThatCakeDude42  Thank you! 

punkyf Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 11:16pm
post #24 of 32

ThatCakeDude42  Thank you! 

punkyf Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 11:21pm
post #25 of 32

Jchuck  I am assuming that this icing does not crust. What icing do you use to decorate the cake with, as in piped flowers and such? My problem with the mock smbc is I am in Florida and it is hot! 

jchuck Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 11:59pm
post #26 of 32

Here we go punkyf 

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/easy-buttercream-frosting/

My only tip is to put the pasteurized egg whites in a bowl, and put the bowl of egg whites in another bowl filled with hot water. Let the egg whites sit for about 5 minutes to warm up. This helps the icing sugar dissolve into the egg whites so you’re icing won’t be gritty.

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 12:00am
post #27 of 32

I'd like to know too.

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 12:02am
post #28 of 32

I tried that frosting before and it did not work out for me. I live in Louisiana.

jchuck Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 12:03am
post #29 of 32

webberblessings 

Recipe is posted twice above ^^^^

jchuck Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 12:17am
post #30 of 32

punkyf Liz Mareks smbc DOES crust nicely. And I add icing sugar and meringue powder to my cooked flour frosting to help it crust. To make the flour icing hot weather adaptable, you can make it with 100% shortening and not butter. Did this to create a dairy free icing. Tasted pretty good.  I’ve done the Liz Mareks smbc + cooked flour icing + one recipe of royal icing all together. Although  I’m not in Florida, it gets wicked hot and humid here in the summer. I don’t use buttercream in the summer unless I’m not transporting. I use ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%