Cake Mix Box Question

Baking By rychevamp Updated 25 Jun 2019 , 7:44pm by MBalaska

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 1:12am
post #1 of 11

Ok, weird question. I don't use box mix, and I'm wondering about any other recipes on the side of the box.

My mom worked with a woman who always brought everyone a chocolate loaf cake for their birthday. It was gooey, soft and she added big chunks of chopped chocolate to it. 

I asked many times for the recipe (and told my mom to tell her to leave it in her will to me :) ), but she would never give it to me.

My grandmother always liked the Sock it to Me Cake on the back of a yellow cake mix she bought. So I was wondering if there is anything on the chocolate mix box.

With the texture of the cake, we figure it was a box mix. But it was freaking good :).

I was craving it today, and the scratch loaf I made was good and chocolatey, but still nothing like hers.

Any ideas?? :) TIA 

10 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 2:32am
post #2 of 11

@rychevamp I've not even noticed recipes on the cake mix boxes.   Some baker's just like their little secrets. Maybe it was a modified fudge brownie mix.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 3:03am
post #3 of 11

Bump

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 3:49am
post #4 of 11

idk — who can fulfill a dream like that? who can define/bake yearnings? — I mean I get you — I completely understand your dilemma and craving but i’m clueless —

although the baily’s chocolate poke cake is an extraordinary and lovely chocolate epitome cake — pure decadence — and I don’t even do the topping anymore — but it was when I watched the video and saw how the cake baked off on the top that I knew it was a tremendous choco cake — even without poking it — so it might worth the calories to you —

googleable and I used the one by ermhearts —  i’m on my phone and i’m not good at retrieving links — it’s not the recipe you’re looking for but if you try it you can easily develop a new craving you can satisfy with regularity 

rychevamp Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 4:56am
post #5 of 11

Quote by @-K8memphis on 59 minutes ago

idk — who can fulfill a dream like that? who can define/bake yearnings? — I mean I get you — I completely understand your dilemma and craving but i’m clueless —

although the baily’s chocolate poke cake is an extraordinary and lovely chocolate epitome cake — pure decadence — and I don’t even do the topping anymore — but it was when I watched the video and saw how the cake baked off on the top that I knew it was a tremendous choco cake — even without poking it — so it might worth the calories to you —

googleable and I used the one by ermhearts —  i’m on my phone and i’m not good at retrieving links — it’s not the recipe you’re looking for but if you try it you can easily develop a new craving you can satisfy with regularity 

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote by @MBalaska on 2 hours ago

@rychevamp I've not even noticed recipes on the cake mix boxes.   Some baker's just like their little secrets. Maybe it was a modified fudge brownie mix.

Maybe they don't put them on anymore. I was going to look when I went to the store the next time. I always remember the one I mentioned before that my grandmother made. She only looked pound cake style, and didn't want icing. But, it's been so long since I looked at a box mix, I didn't know they stopped with the recipes. 

I'll have to do some experimenting, maybe I can get a couple of the dark chocolate mixes and see what I can come up with. 

Thanks!

MBalaska Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 5:11am
post #6 of 11

take a look at this recipe by 'Cakepro'. from 2009 with thousands of views & star ratings. 

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7367/amazing-chocolate-wasc-cake

AMAZING Chocolate WASC Cake

Ingredients

• Ingredients:
  • 2 boxes Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
  • 2 2/3 c. water
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 6 large or extra large eggs
  • 16 oz. sour cream
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp instant coffee

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 10:43am
post #7 of 11

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 11

i'm on the big computer -- here's the link:

https://ermhearts.com/2018/09/22/baileys-chocolate-poke-cake/

rychevamp Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 11

@MBalaska, thanks. That sounds like it might have the texture I'm thinking. I'll give it a shot.  Maybe add some chocolate chunks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 11

Oh it just hurts me so to see the curuption of my recipe :(   If they want to change the recipe than DON'T call it a WASC recipe! 

MBalaska Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 11

you mean because it's not White & it doesn't have Almond extract.  It's just a doctored box mix then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%