Advice Please ....seattle Weather Related Issues

Decorating By karennayak Updated 3 days ago by -K8memphis

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 8:34am
post #1 of 20

Hi, 

My name is Karen,

My daughter is getting married in August this year and she wants us to make and decorate her cake together. She is a great baker and has run a couple of trials already. I have all my flowers packed and ready to go. (I live in India!)

I have a few questions about how to deal with a fondant covered cake in Seattle weather in August.

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank You!

Karen

19 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 20

The only time I was in Seattle was in late June but the weather was very nice with no problems   Someone who lives there hopefully will jump in here w/more accurate info

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 20

Well hello old friend and how are you? How wonderful, your daughter is getting married!

Is it an outdoor or indoor wedding? Is the location where you will be decorating the cake air conditioned and is the venue for the wedding air conditioned?

Fondant holds up well but not under direct sunlight or extreme conditions. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 20

I just looked up weather patterns for Seattle in August and the average temperature is about 73 F with very little rain or humidity so it should be perfect for any kind of icing and most especially fondant.

You must be so excited! How lovely to be decorating a daughter's wedding cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2019 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 20

karennayak Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 7:49am
post #6 of 20

Thank You! 

It's so nice to find old friends again. Just seeing usernames that I recognise makes me smile!

The wedding is outdoors, but the reception is indoors and air-conditioned. I will also be working in an air conditioned home. 

The wedding is on the 11th, rehearsal on the 10th, so we have to bake and decorate on the 8th and 9th. So I HAVE to refrigerate.

My problem is ... I don't know how fondant will hold up if I refrigerate a decorated cake. Any advice? 

karennayak Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 7:58am
post #7 of 20

Oops sorry! 

I just did a search and found that this issue has been discussed ... A LOT!!!

I will go through the older  posts now.

Sorry!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 20

I always refrigerate my fondant cakes and I am in a much warmer location.  Ideally, put the cake in a box and wrap the box with a couple of thicknesses of plastic wrap.  When you remove it from the refrigerator, leave it sealed in the box until the whole thing comes to room temperature, about two hours.  This allows any condensation to form on the outside of the box instead of the fondant.  If you don't have room for a box, just let the cake dry before touching it, after it is removed from the fridge.  Seattle has moderate temperatures, so condensation should be minimal.

karennayak Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 20

Thank You! 

That is excellent information and will be very helpful. 

Do you refrigerate completely decorated cakes? or just fondant-covered and you decorate later?

My daughter is planning to do 4 tiers ... 12,10,7 (double height) and 4. The 4 is lustre dusted, 7 is sugar encrusted, the 10 and the 13 are fondant covered. The 13 will have fondant cut-out flowers. Her colours are antique blue and ivory.

Thanks again!

Karen

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 20

The cake sounds beautiful!  Can't wait to see pictures!

The only thinks I do not refrigerate are fondant toppers and gum paste flowers.  I always carry them separately and apply at the venue.  There is a possibility fondant toppers would be find, if added in advance, I just never take the chance.  I know gum paste flowers, being very thin, would not tolerate the humidity with good grace, lol.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 20

The cake sounds lovely! I agree with Sandra Smiley - I wouldn't refrigerate gumpaste flowers or fondant toppers.  My experience with the flowers is that they lose their shape. I haven't tried it with a topper but would be afraid to.

Wishing you and your daughter all the best with this. Please let us know how it goes. We would love to see a photo.

Hugs

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 20

I only refrigerate buttercream cakes. My house has AC and we keep our house at 74 degrees. So after I decorate my cake in fondant, I never usually  refrigerate. Keeps just fine on the kitchen counter. On the few occasions I’ve had to refrigerate, (3 x’s I lost AC)  my refrigerator has a built in dehumidifier, so my fondant doesn’t sweat after reaching room temperature. 

karennayak Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 20

Thank you for all the cake advice. Seattle weather was great. We woke up to rain on the day of the rehearsal, but the wedding day was bright and beautiful. 

The cake turned out well. The bride is a computer scientist and the groom a bio physicist. They had clear detailed visions of what they wanted for their cake ...colours, textures, techniques, flowers that were as close to nature as possible.
My daughter baked filled and covered all the cakes... 13(2 layers) 10(2) 7(3) and 4(2)
We boxed and covered and chilled for a day. 
It was raining in Seattle and sure enough, a lot of condensation on the cakes, even after boxing. But we heeded your advice and just let them sit till the moisture disappeared. 

karennayak Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 20

Advice Please ....seattle Weather Related Issues

jchuck Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 20

So pleased for you karennayak that all went well. Humidity is high in Seattle. Fondant/buttercream don’t like humidity at all. After I answered this post, I did my grandson’s bday cake (this past weekend)  that had to sit in a park (where bday was celebrated) with high heat/humidity. I knew buttercream would never stand up. Liz Marek/Sugar Geeks Cakes assured me a 100% ganache covered cake would hold up to the elements of heat/humidity. Liz was correct. Cake sat for 2 hours, with gumpaste attachments (baby shark), and was perfectly fine. If I were to answer this post again, I would have suggested ganache crumb coat/icing, then fondant. But obviously you’re very well chilled fondant covered cakes stood up well. I hope you post pictures of the cake soon. Excited to see.

jchuck Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 2:55pm
post #16 of 20

Ahhh karennayak....you obviously posted the cake picture before I finished typing my post!! Cake is absolutely lovely. Wonderful job by both you and your daughter. Again, so glad everything worked out...  :o)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 20

So very glad to hear it all turned out so well   What wonderful memories your family was able to make   I bet the story of making that cake will be something future generations will enjoy hearing &  maybe even prompt a repeat for a future grandchild :)  

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 20

Simply stunning and, as the others have said, what beautiful memories for your family!  Congratulations!

karennayak Posted 3 days ago
post #19 of 20

Thank you all for your kind words!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 days ago
post #20 of 20

wow flowers all the way from india! -- great work lovely cake -- your daughter is a wonderful baker! the venue has a spectacular view -- much happiness to you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%